Friday Night Carping....

Bly and I decided to hit our spot for some more carp on Friday night. This time we had time to prepare and we went out and bought some basic carp equipment. So, off to the local tackle shop to buy some good quality hair rigs, bollies and some berkley power baits. We used a slip sinker setup. We couldn't figure out how to put the bollies on the hooks so we improvised...our local tackle shop didn't have the needles in stock. So out came my cordless drill....and I put small holes in all the bollies. Bly then tied some fishing line to a small sewing needle to help us thread the bait to the rig. We kept them on the line by tying a small elastic band to the end of the hair rig. Since we dont have rod holders, we had to hold on to them.

Anyways, we headed out just as the sun went down. It was a perfect night to be out on the water...water smooth as glass....and amazing moon out reflecting in the water.

Bly Fishing in the Moonlight

med_gallery_60_23_1308.jpg

I put my first cast out there and began the waiting game. Not 2 minutes later, one must have inhaled the bait, because as I reached down to get my coffee, the rod almost went flying out of my hands...LOL. It's kind of nice when you dont have to set the hook...it did it itself! After a nice 10 minute fight, he was landed.

My first of the night measured in at 32.5 inches.

gallery_60_23_28464.jpg

The action was pretty good tonight. Soon after, bly landed this nice 34.5" one...

gallery_60_23_45985.jpg

Next it was my turn, this one measured 32" and weighed 20 pounds....my heaviest fish yet...at least until later on....

gallery_60_23_49009.jpg

Bly got the next one 34 inches....another 25 pounder for her

gallery_60_23_17411.jpg

Finally, I finished off the night...my new personal best came in at 34.5" and 21lbs 2 oz.

gallery_60_23_28464.jpg

All in all we had a blast out there...our drags got quite the workout and we got lots of practise thumbing our spools when they were taking our line towards debris in the water. We did lose a few along the way as well....but that's to be expected! It's funny though...we alternated catching fish all night....reminded me of our walleye adventures of last fall...

Edited by ccmtcanada

Hey Cliff...All I use as a baiting needle is a straightened out jig with a thin wire hook...the barb on the hook makes it easier to grab the loop on the hair rig once you have threaded on your corn and/or boilie and the head of the jig gives a good hand hold for pulling the loop through...I bought some plastic stoppers that look like little barbells and come in strips...easy to cut off the strip...

holy carp !!! Do you two ever catch anything small!!! :dunno: :dunno:

I 'm thinking next year Rick should make you two have the only one man/woman teams to give the rest of us a fighting chance. Do you two ever catch anything small!!!

I have two get you two down here would love to see what you could do with stripers! :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by ALEX

WTG Cliff and Carole.....beauty job on the fishing and the report. Sure makes us shut-ins feel better. Go do it again this weekend!

PS. I think that praps the MNR should revise their fish preservation policy now that you two are out there! Thanks again.

WOW! Talk about takin' to a sport fast . . . . and it just goes to show why carp fishin' is within reach of all of us, you don't need fancy equipment, and if ya can't get the little 'necessities,' improvise. If you're givin' out lessons, I wanna be first in the line-up. Ya know what I got today . . . . A LOUSY LINE BUMP!! No swans, no geese, not even a stoooooopid duck!! I might give up fishin,' and start doin' needlepoint! Hey Roy . . . . I think we need a special carp fishin' section . . . . I suspect there just might be a lotta carping threads & pics this year! YAY Y Y Y Y Y Y FOR CARP!!

WOW! Talk about takin' to a sport fast . . . . and it just goes to show why carp fishin' is within reach of all of us, you don't need fancy equipment, and if ya can't get the little 'necessities,' improvise. If you're givin' out lessons, I wanna be first in the line-up. Ya know what I got today . . . . A LOUSY LINE BUMP!! No swans, no geese, not even a stoooooopid duck!! I might give up fishin,' and start doin' needlepoint! Hey Roy . . . . I think we need a special carp fishin' section . . . . I suspect there just might be a lotta carping threads & pics this year! YAY Y Y Y Y Y Y FOR CARP!!

You dont want lessons from us...LOL. I'm pretty sure that:

1) We stumbled on a little piece of carp heaven

2) Beginners luck

3) The numbers we are catching will likely drop...and we'll be back to our normal skunk, skunk, skunk, fish routine...LOL

Carping can be addicting that's for sure...they are a fun fish to fight! Thanks for the kind words.

Thanks everyone! We had a blast out there that's fur sure.

Alex....yes we do catch small fish....we just dont post them....LOL

Beans....thanks for all the tips!

Roy....no need for changes to the regs....we release them all.....

GCD...It has still been getting down to 4C at night.....brrrrrrrr.....

Beauty fish cc & bly!

Cliff, are you wearing beer store headlights on your hat? I was looking a set but wondered if they were worthwhile.

-Brian

Hey Brian

Mine isn't from the beer store....I got it from the local tackle shop. Mine uses those watch battery lithium ones....so that they stay charged even in really cold weather. The lights are LED too....so it's not a harsh light. I love mine....it's great for retying line...light's up your line and terminal tackle perfectly and of course the light itself is hands free. Also does a good job in lighting a path while walking along too.

Anyhow...whenever we night fish, it's a must that I take it along with me.....I think it was 15 bucks...it uses two of those batteries....and it came with 4....so spare set is taken care of.

Cliff