Snowblower carb issues

buckster

Hey folks,

Was out getting my snowblower ready for this up coming snow storm. Seems to me that the float is stuck in the carb. Are there any additives or easy fixes that don't involve me removing the carb and manually cleaning it? The motor is a Tecumseh. It runs with the choke on, but as soon as I switch it off it dies. Also while running the exhaust gets very red(hot).

What do y'all think?

Hey folks,

Was out getting my snowblower ready for this up coming snow storm. Seems to me that the float is stuck in the carb. Are there any additives or easy fixes that don't involve me removing the carb and manually cleaning it? The motor is a Tecumseh. It runs with the choke on, but as soon as I switch it off it dies. Also while running the exhaust gets very red(hot).

What do y'all think?

If it's running with the choke on, then the float needle isn't stuck otherwise NO gas would get through. you probably have the main jet clogged up. A real healthy dos of Seafoam might start to clean it out, but at this point, I doubt it. Time for a real cleaning.

For the red hot muffler, hmmm, bad timing or sheared woodruff key on the flywheel. My bro's blower did that. You could cook hotdogs on that sucker. .50 cent woodruff key under the flywheel/crankshaft fixed that. It had rotated about 3/4 of an inch.

You need to remove the carb and get some carb cleaner through it...it's clogged with varnish...or at least remove the bottom of the bowl, and carefully clean out the main needle and jet with a tooth pick...

As far as the muffler being so hot...my bet it's because you are leaving on the choke to keep it running and it's getting too much raw gas into it...so burning too RICH...be CAREFUL.

HAPPY REDNECK NEW YEARS,

Bob

Yep sounds like a plugged jet. Screw the jet in all the way counting the turns then back it out. You will probably notice the very small hole in the jet plugged.Spray it with WD and let it soak. Take a small wire, I use a twist tie and clean the hole out. Replace the jet and set it to where it was before. I would remove the bowl as well and clean it out, it has probably got gas varnish floating around in there.

So I took apart the carb and cleaned all the parts. Float, jets, bowl, etc... Put it all back together and seems like I have the same issue. Only way it stays running is if I keep pumping the primer. Only thing I didn't change was the o-ring at the bottom of the jet that holds the bowl on. I'm no mechanic just wanted to take a stab at it myself. Maybe its time to get it looked at and spend some $$ lol

So I took apart the carb and cleaned all the parts. Float, jets, bowl, etc... Put it all back together and seems like I have the same issue. Only way it stays running is if I keep pumping the primer. Only thing I didn't change was the o-ring at the bottom of the jet that holds the bowl on. I'm no mechanic just wanted to take a stab at it myself. Maybe its time to get it looked at and spend some $ lol

I think you have a air leak.Check your fuel line.Air is easier to suck than fuel. That is why you need the choke to keep it running.Also check the carb flange bolts as well. Just another option.

Best to clean it again and this time use a can of brake cleaner( yes not a typo) with the straw and blow it thru all of the passages in both directions. The carbs main jet located at the base is the most important part of the fuel delivery system on motors that are run full throttle for most of there working conditions. Most carbs I pull down and rebuild have to be either cooked or sonic cleaned to get rid of the varnish that builds up. A third process if you are not familiar or do not have the equipment is to soak them in VARSOL for 12 hours or if not available brake cleaner because it does not eat the rubber parts like carb cleaner will.

Art

If its getting hot , its because it is running lean ... choke causes it to suck more gas ( richer ).

running too rich doesn't cause overheating .. it causes plug fouling . Someone else suggested you might have an air leak .. thats most likely right ( probably the intake gasket )

A leak at the exaust gasket can also cause this .. as can a plugged up muffler ( oily tar buildup )

If you have some high temp silicone on hand ( I like the red permatex ) .. before you go out and spend money on anything , try smearing some around the intake gasket .

Just a note here .. fuel stabilizer ? I don't get it . I never use it , and i have never had a problem starting up a motorcycle , lawn mower or a snow blower i have ever owned .

Not knocking the cleaning ability of brake cleaner ,, but .. i would not recomend it .. most brake cleaners contain clorine , which when burned can be very harmful when breathed in .. even in the smallest amount . Just sayin' .

The brake cleaner will flash well before it gets to the running stage.This is a good note if someone decided to try to clean the carb with it while running though Thanks for the safety point. If you feel you might have a leak on the intake while running at idle spray CARB cleaner around the intake but not the carb intake any raise in the RPM is an indication you have an intake leak. Before using any gasket material make sure you do not get it in any of the gasket ports between the intake and the carb. There are some carbs that have pinhole sized passages near the flange that regulate the lower air circuits and if gooped will give you fits tuning and then cleaning.

Art

Thanks for all the tips. I did end up using break cleaner. Aperently the first time I cleaned it wasn't good enough. So I did it again and bingo. Good to go. It amazing what a fisherman with YouTube and a whole garage of tools can accomplish lol

Thanks again!

Edited by buckster