Wood chips everywhere!

Spiel

I had a bunch of wood come in yesterday and I've been busy turning it from square blocks to round.

They're a long way away from being reel seats at this point but boy oh boy, they're some real nice pieces of wood.

They start as 1.5" X 1.5" as seen here.....

wood1a.jpg

Two long pieces that'll make many seats. The top is Padauk and the bottom is Bocote.

woodr.jpg

These are stabilized, Spalted Big Leaf Maple, very nice.

wood2v.jpg

Again stabilized Big Leaf Maple, this time burl the bottom one is green dyed and will be on ChrisK's new rod.

wood3.jpg

Not much to look at yet but once they are shaped, finished and polished they'll be gorgeous!

I had a bunch of wood come in yesterday and I've been busy turning it from square blocks to round.

They're a long way away from being reel seats at this point but boy oh boy, they're some real nice pieces of wood.

Again stabilized Big Leaf Maple, this time burl the bottom one is green dyed and will be on ChrisK's new rod.

wood3.jpg

Not much to look at yet but once they are shaped, finished and polished they'll be gorgeous!

Sweet!!

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Very nice! That would make some sweet knife handles. Do you ever work with desert ironwood burl or cocobolo?

Iron wood no, not yet. Cocobolo yes.

what a true artform...just amazing to see

Keep in kind most of my wood seats for float rods are done by a good friend.

However I do turn some here, this one is for a fly rod, I just finished it moments ago. Orange dyed Padauk finished in 15 coats of CA and fitted with bronze hardware.

orangepadauk.jpg

CA does a wonderful job!

A little scary the first time, but a very hard and durable finish.

Well done Chris!

Too bad that it is so difficult to do that finish on a JC style seat!

Just too many bumps in the road, I fear.

The mental picture of trying to polish that without it being on the lathe brings tears of laughter!! :rolleyes::clapping:

Edited by floatman55

Absolutely amazing work!!! Just wondering what CA is? Ever thought of doing a YouTube video of the process or would that be giving away trade secrets?

Not too much of a secret, CA is essentially super glue. With many coats and some careful work you can achieve a glass like finish.

There are some YouTube videos that describe the process.

Absolutely amazing work!!! Just wondering what CA is? Ever thought of doing a YouTube video of the process or would that be giving away trade secrets?

Check youtube for CA finishing as well as penturning web sites.

For the sand papers (down to 12,000 grit) & CA I got from Lee Valley.

CA Glues

I use these by hand and not on a power sander.

Micro Mesh Disks

Some CA finish videos

Edited by DRIFTER_016

I see you query has been thoroughly answered, thanks guys. thumbsup_anim.gif

Video(s), no there's plenty up there now, not sure I could add anything of value. ;)