Airplane Jig

BucktownAngler

im still fairly new to ice fishing but this has been my best/most productive ice fishing lure so far. also worked well in soft water.

i found out this lure was discontinued and couldnt find it anywhere or online from Northland. but lucked out and managed to find a few locally.

IMG-20121214-WA0000_zpse556c26e.jpg

also picked up this bucket top tackle box

IMG_20121214_135013_zps1790770c.jpg

and i also picked up some Lindy darters. havent used them before, but have heard good things, so ill be giving them a go this year.

anybody else have any go to baits to recommend?

There isn't a better jig on the market with the capability to twist your line like the Airplane has .

Use a quality in line barrel swivel about 10" above the Airplane , it will help ( a little ) to reduce line twist ... but when they work they work well .

Jigging Raps are a top producer up here. Catch everything under the ice!

The Lindy Darter is another favourite of mine. I always start with it and if the fish are active/aggressive they will hit it. If they aren't I usually go to something I can tip with a minnow. I've caught everything on the darter though... walleye, pike, whitefish, burbot and my biggest bass and laker ever on the Lindy Darter. I always have a rod rigged up with a darter on it.

Good luck this winter!

Jigging Raps are a top producer up here. Catch everything under the ice!

The Lindy Darter is another favourite of mine. I always start with it and if the fish are active/aggressive they will hit it. If they aren't I usually go to something I can tip with a minnow. I've caught everything on the darter though... walleye, pike, whitefish, burbot and my biggest bass and laker ever on the Lindy Darter. I always have a rod rigged up with a darter on it.

Good luck this winter!

I have caught a bunch of fish on the darter too.

I have a couple of dozen of them. :D

I also tip them with a chunk of cisco with good luck.

My other go to lure are the Northland Airplane jigs (the big ones not those babies the OP has) :whistling:

I also tip them with a slab of meat. :thumbsup_anim:

This one is my favorite.

Airplane-jig-20-slug.png

Those Airplane Jigs look pretty similar to Jiggin Raps. Jiggin Raps are my go to lure on the ice. Big ones tipped with a minnow can be deadly on Walleye under the right conditions.

Yup, except the Airplane jig pre-dates the Rapala by about 30 years.

I bought my first Airplane jigs from the Outdoor Stores in Toronto back in the mid 1970s, years before Northland bought the company that produced them and acquired manufacturing rights. I believe they were originally made by a small company located near North Bay, but am not 100 percent certain.

In any case, they're excellent lures. As mentioned, use a barrel swivel about a foot up your line from the lure to avoid line twist problems.

I believe they were originally made by a small company located near North Bay, but am not 100 percent certain.

Yeah originally Quetico Tackle Atikokan, Ontario maybe. I've got one or two used ones left. But yes, they were a bugger at line twist.

Like the one on the right in this picture?

I have a couple in my box still. :D

Airplanejigs.jpg

Yep the one on the right is what I have as well, white with red thread. I took the trebles off though, but added a single stinger off the main hook for short strikes

Craig's got icefishing jigs? Has there been a glitch in the Matrix? :) :)

There has been a rip in the space/time continuum and the only way to repair it is for Craig to mail those airplane jigs to me!!! :whistling:

They must be in the mail before Friday or.....................................

There has been a rip in the space/time continuum and the only way to repair it is for Craig to mail those airplane jigs to me!!! :whistling:

They must be in the mail before Friday or.....................................

Dave - um ..... no. Still vertically jig in open water, so sorry friend, they need to stay here in the sunny south.

Well, not very sunny today but you get the point.

Dave - um ..... no. Still vertically jig in open water, so sorry friend, they need to stay here in the sunny south.

Well, not very sunny today but you get the point.

Well that's just great!!!!

You've doomed us all!!!!

See you on the other side on Friday there Craig!!!

Hope those jigs won't melt where we're all going. ;)