Bushcraft/working knife???

brkygetr

Folks, I have been told I am getting a new tool for christmas. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

My better half is going to get me knife that is more than just a skinning/weenie stick getter. I have several that I carry for various applications but have never owned a 'working' knife. Something that is tough/heavy and usefull. If I need to split kindling I can, if i need to open a can of beans it will also work...WITHOUT wrecking it. Does anyone out there have any input? I would prefer to support a company/artisian that truely cares about what they are selling and that I can talk to if need be.

Let me know.

I'd suggest checking out the bark river Canadian special I've had many fixed blade knives and I also make my own, the Canadian special is my all time fav. It looks a bit odd to some people but it really feels like an extension of your hand.

Another model to look at is the aurora.

Are you located close to Niagara? If so you could check mine out in person.

Another note about the bark river knives is the huge variety of handle materials available. Everything from durable G10 and micarta to beautiful exotic woods like desert ironwood ( my fav)

Good luck with your search.

Helle makes a great Scandinavian type bushcraft blade. Alot to choose from, and all are top notch. You can also check out Becker Knife and Tool. I have the BK5 and the BK7 and I can tell you they are great knives. Heavy duty, check the Becker BK2. ESEE and Bark River make really good knives too. Bark River has almost too many styles and handle materials to choose from, I have a few of their models in A2 tool steel and can personally recommend them.

Wow after reading this thread I have come to realize that some knives are not allowed-illegal? Please advise as to this law? I have a fixed blade knife that i use as a bush crafting knife. it has a 9.5 inch blade quarter inch thick..am I going to be arrested for carrying it? Where can i find out about this? Yikes!

Wow after reading this thread I have come to realize that some knives are not allowed-illegal? Please advise as to this law? I have a fixed blade knife that i use as a bush crafting knife. it has a 9.5 inch blade quarter inch thick..am I going to be arrested for carrying it? Where can i find out about this? Yikes!

Not much to worry about in Canada. The knife laws are fairly relaxed. Of course no automatic or balisongs.... but no real restriction on length.

It is more about how the use of the knife is interpreted.... a tool or a weapon. Don't wave it around and you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Use common sense, don't carry the 9.5" blade into your local Walmart etc..., carry your folder or a smaller fixed blade.

I have carried a Spyderco Delica or Benchmade 705 clipped in my pocket (visible) for as long as I remember, to work (sales), kids school and sporting events, etc. and have never had anyone question why it was there.

Burt :)

Edited by Burtess

This is one knife some other outdoors travellers I know like. Can be used to baton kindling if needed.

http://www.workwearcanada.com/fallkniven/detail.cfm?product=32

Also liking the Helle Gaupe or GT and their folders are nice as well.

Attached to my whitewater pfd is a folding sheepsfoot Spyderco but it's a lighter duty knife.

Well I have a Grohman #3 love it was issued to me in the forces

but i will second a kbar as well its proven

and benchmades there fixed blades are really nice

the trick is to pay the money and by good steel... steel makes the Knife

My choice, had it 40 some years now for a big knife was a Russell Survival, now a Grohman #4 without the gut hook. I use a Puma folder for field dressing the deer and a Shrade Skinner for skinning, but when it come to splitting the pelvis and sternum or quartering out comes the Russell. It works whenever the other 2 are not big enough.

http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/r4s.html