American eel in Lake Simcoe

kickingfrog

Very cool!

I never would’ve thought American eels would make it to Lake Simcoe. From my understanding, all eels migrate from the Sargasso sea (in the Atlantic ocean where they were born). They would have to swim up the St. Lawrence and go past many dams before reaching Lake Ontario. Then migrate through the Trent Severn canal system (also past many dams) before finally making it to Lake Simcoe. There they live until they migrate back to the Sargasso sea to spawn (kind of like a reverse life cycle of a salmon and with a longer lifespan). Is this right?

Very cool!

I never would’ve thought American eels would make it to Lake Simcoe. From my understanding, all eels migrate from the Sargasso sea (in the Atlantic ocean where they were born). They would have to swim up the St. Lawrence and go past many dams before reaching Lake Ontario. Then migrate through the Trent Severn canal system (also past many dams) before finally making it to Lake Simcoe. There they live until they migrate back to the Sargasso sea to spawn (kind of like a reverse life cycle of a salmon and with a longer lifespan). Is this right?

Yep. I think they said there was 41 dams/locks that they would have had to have passed to make into Simcoe.

We used to go to Ardock, On. for a few weeks during summer when I was a lad. (not sure where around Ardock, I was 8-9-10-11) and catch them at night with a BIG net , I think Dad ,uncles Angus and Howard drank too much sauce and used the badminton net from the camp... anyways , I remember running around with an Eel Belt tied around my camo pants.

They were cleaning them with pliers and scissors like we do with 'lil Brown Cats, we had a HUGE Eel fry, Clam Boil,Upsidedown Turtle, Frog Legs and Barbotte and Ecrevis ( I'm Scot/French we eat anything)

Like the Atlantic salmon, the American eel was able to complete it's cycle of life without barriers in many watersheds connected to the Great Lakes. Some lakes in the Ottawa area see the odd catch of the American eel...but the hub and concern for these eels is on the Ottawa River....doubt they've lost their way.

<in the mind of an eel> Don't make your problem, my problem mang.

Edited by Slop

MJL is bang on with the life cycle....interesting creatures for sure.

We used to electrofish quite a few during annual/seasonal sampling on the Toronto waterfront and I remember a buddy angling one as kid from the Bay of Quinte - hell of a fight. I don't think we've seen one now in several years and it's quite well known that the population is in severe decline due to man-made barriers.

There is some effort underway to improve passibility of these obstacles, hope it's not to late. This would be a very difficult specie to reintroduce given the "reverse" life-cycle (explained by MJL above). How do you imprint/train young eels to migrate from the Sargasso Sea to the tributaries of the Ottawa River for example? :unsure::dunno:

Edited by SylvanOwner

Crazy

Are they edible? ( realize there is no possession limit, just curious)

They are ideal for the smoker (fatty). Smoked eel is delicious and a delicacy in many places.

We used to fish for them in the Bay of Quinte (back when they were numerous - propably mid-late 80s). Hope they make a rebound.