Outboard mounted trolling motor

camillj

Ran across this quite by accident ... its purdy .. but does it work (without killing your cranking battery :) ... guess you'd need to run three batteries ?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Minn-Kota-MK101-EM-Engine-Mount-Freshwater-Trolling-Motor-36v-101lb-1370630-/251150288419?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a79b94623

I have looked into them in the past.They work on a seperate battery, just like a regular trolling motor. I would think the extra drag of it always in the water would slow you down at WOT. I believe it was designed for pontoon boats originally, where mounting is not often easy.

Ran across this quite by accident ... its purdy .. but does it work (without killing your cranking battery :) ... guess you'd need to run three batteries ?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Minn-Kota-MK101-EM-Engine-Mount-Freshwater-Trolling-Motor-36v-101lb-1370630-/251150288419?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a79b94623

For the price, I would opt for a conventional bow mount TM. It offers more versatility and MUCH better directional ability even in light winds than a rear mounted TM. The downside to the bow mount is the prop coming out of the water in heavy waves. I use my bow mount in conjunction with my main motor for trolling. Mine is fitted with iPilot so I can set the direction and tend to the riggers or fighting a fish with worrying about direction. You can't do that with a motor mount TM because the bow may blow off course or on some outboards, the main motor will steer itself in one direction.

You would require a separate bank of batts for either bow mount or motor mount TM

I have looked into them in the past.They work on a seperate battery, just like a regular trolling motor. I would think the extra drag of it always in the water would slow you down at WOT. I believe it was designed for pontoon boats originally, where mounting is not often easy.

At WOT the TM prop and housing is out of the water as it's mounted above the anti-ventilation plate. You may experience a little out-of-the-hole drag.

Absolutely has to be run on a separate battery - never connect an electric to the crank battery.

These have been around for years and none of them work particularly well. The electric has to contend with enormous drag from the big engine's lower unit, so battery life is just brutal. Not even close to weedless. And it's nowhere near as maneuverable as a standard bow mount or transom mount electric. Plus, the drag from the electric on the lower unit impacts your hole shot when you run the big motor (it rides above the water when on plane).

Nice idea, but it's just not practical. Strongly suggest you consider another option.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

They use those to smuggle smokes across the St Lawrence. Run dead silent, no lights, and when the Mounties catch them in their searchlights, fire the mail motor and haul rear end out of the country.

However, Craig is right in his opinion.

Absolutely has to be run on a separate battery - never connect an electric to the crank battery.

These have been around for years and none of them work particularly well. The electric has to contend with enormous drag from the big engine's lower unit, so battery life is just brutal. Not even close to weedless. And it's nowhere near as maneuverable as a standard bow mount or transom mount electric. Plus, the drag from the electric on the lower unit impacts your hole shot when you run the big motor (it rides above the water when on plane).

Nice idea, but it's just not practical. Strongly suggest you consider another option.

I was going to say, that looks completely useless.