changing Canada day

Terry

Guys, what do you think. I want to start a petition to have Canada day changed to the first Friday in July from always being held on July first…….what do you think….read

Most of this I am just putting down my thoughts, I will fix up the wording and what not later…..

Canada Day

you can skip over the stuff in blue

Canada's national celebration is always observed on July 1, unless that date falls on a Sunday, in which case it is observed the following day….I would like to change that

On June 20, 1868, a proclamation signed by the Governor General, Lord Monck, called upon all Her Majesty's loving subjects throughout Canada to join in the celebration of the anniversary of the formation of the union of the British North America provinces in a federation under the name of Canada on July 1st.

The July 1 holiday was established by statute in 1879, under the name Dominion Day.

There is no record of organized ceremonies after this first anniversary, except for the 50th anniversary of Confederation in 1917, at which time the new Centre Block of the Parliament Buildings, under construction, was dedicated as a memorial to the Fathers of Confederation and to the valour of Canadians fighting in the First World War in Europe.

The next celebration was held in 1927 to mark the Diamond Jubilee of Confederation. It was highlighted by the laying of the cornerstone by the Governor General of the Confederation Building on Wellington Street and the inauguration of the Carillon in the Peace Tower.

Since 1958, the government has arranged for an annual observance of Canada's national day with the Secretary of State of Canada in charge of the coordination. The format provided for a Trooping the Colours ceremony on the lawn of Parliament Hill in the afternoon, a sunset ceremony in the evening followed by a mass band concert and fireworks display.

Another highlight was Canada's Centennial in 1967 when Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II attended the celebrations with Parliament Hill again being the backdrop for a large scale official ceremony.

The format changed in 1968 with the addition of multicultural and professional concerts held on Parliament Hill including a nationally televised show. Up until 1975, the focus of the celebrations, under the name "Festival Canada", was held in the National Capital Region during the whole month of July and involved numerous cultural, artistic and sport activities, as well as municipalities and voluntary organizations. The celebration was cancelled in 1976 but was reactivated in 1977.

A new formula was developed in 1980 whereby the National Committee (the federal government organization charged with planning Canada's Birthday celebrations) stressed and sponsored the development of local celebrations all across Canada. "Seed money" was distributed to promote popular and amateur activities organized by volunteer groups in hundreds of local communities. The same approach was also followed for the 1981 celebrations with the addition of fireworks displays in 15 major cities across the nation.

On October 27, 1982, July 1st which was known as "Dominion Day" became "Canada Day".

Since 1985, Canada Day Committees are established in each province and territory to plan, organize and coordinate the Canada Day celebrations locally. Grants are provided by the Department to those committees.

I would like to start a petition to have Canada Day with they hold on July 1 change to the first Friday in July.

The Gov. thinks we need to celebrate Canada Day on the date it was signed, so we are celebrating the date as much as the event

I would like to change it so it’s a long weekend and we are celebrating the event not the day.

After all are we not celebrating the fact that we became Canada ,not that we did something on July first 1876

What I have found is when Canada day doesn’t fall on a day making a 3 day weekend , I get a day off during the week but I don’t do anything to celebrate Canada Day. After all I have to get up for work the next day the kids have to get up and go to the baby sitter.

But when Canada Day falls on a weekend we go to some of the Canada Day events that go on and the fireworks at night and most of the weekend becomes a celebration of Canada..

Canada Day should be a celebration of the event, so the date it is held on should be of less importance then getting people to recognize the event and celebrating the event. A long weekend allows it to happen

Leave the date to history lessons in school, where the actual date may be as important as the event.

Lets celebrate Canada and Canada Day with a 3 day weekend of events that remind up how great this country is….

If people are interested we could get an on-line petition and send emails to everyone we have in our address book…or should I shut up and go fishing…

maybe try to get a private members bill to change it........

Terry, I think that we should petition to change the calendar so that July 1 always falls on a Thursday. That way the Friday will be made a floater for most people and we will get a four day weekend....so we can do lot more of this.. :Gonefishing:

I like your petition a close second... :thumbsup_anim:

John..

Not a bad idea. Personally I would vote to have a Canada Week, everybody has a week off with pay :clapping: Or how about a week when we pay no tax on income, pay no GST and pay no provincial taxes! :thumbsup_anim: That would be retailers busiest week in the year.

But really, your idea makes sense.

Or...how bout like the US Thanksgiving holiday? Most get the Thursday and Friday off before the weekend...haha. Seriously though, I think you are right about not being able to celebrate if it falls on a Tuesday to Thursday. Either Friday or Monday works for me...as long as it's a long weekend.

Wayne, my mother always move the celebration of our birthdays to the weekend, so we could have a party and a sleep over with friends.............really

neighbors

neighbours

color

colour......

ZEEEE

ZED

one's English one America

it's all good

Edited by Terry

no I don't and in my opinion I would be making it better not diluting it ...

and I don't see the relevance in talking about a religious date...

so I will put you down as a NO vote...got it

Man what are you breathing over on the other side of the lake, notice I didn't say "smokin" or standing beside someone that is and inhaling exhaled, pre-sampled smoke. If you're adamant about celebrating the day for what it is noted for, then it shouldn't matter that you can't make along weekend out of it. Bad enough we can't say Christmas or stick up a Christmas tree in public, now someones trying to move a relevant day in history. And no SMILEY!

dates are for historians events are for people....when it falls on a tues. through thrus. I don't do anything to celebrate it but I do when it falls on a long weekend..............

but no problem..note fisherman, not invited to canada day BBQ

Just don't park in Terry's laneway to watch the fireworks ! :jerry:

I'll be thinkin of you Terry...while I fish and lie back in the boat watching the Temagami Fireworks display again this year.

BTW...why we worrying about this...this year it's on Sunday!

Edited by irishfield

Buy a vowel?
:thumbsup_anim::clapping:

Yeah I know the "u" in certain words really is redundant. It makes sense to drop it as it pretty much silent anyhow. It's just one of those things with me, to make sure that those who drop the U know there is another way to spell it.

Something like the time I walked into a butcher shop in a town somewhere near Corning NY one day and pointed out to the shop keeper that they had something for sale that is not available in Canada... "Canadian Bacon" She did not see the houmour (there's that U again") in my comment.

Maybe we can slip that "U" into Canada Day somehow Eh?

Edited by pikehunter

yeah...

I was just seeing if people thought it was a good idea

I was with a group of about 25 people and someone asked if they were doing anything for Cananda day rhis year and right away some said well if it falls on a weekend this year we will be doing lots

and that was the general consensuses , that people really only celebrated it when it fell on weekends..I thought celebrating it was a good thing

oh well party on Garth

yeah party on ........

I'm with you all the way on this one Terry, and have thought the same thing for years, it's absolutely moronic to have 1 day off in the middle of the week, then go back to work for a day or 2, then off for the weekend again. Doesn't give you enuff time to do anything at all with the day.

I always figured the 1st Monday of July would be good for the holiday though, that way everyone could enjoy the long weekend, then only have to put in a 4 day week and then off for a couple more.

Just show me where to sign ;)