The good, the bad and the ugly - an afternoon of late November muskie fishing

Fisherpete

Tuesday night saw me get stuck at a work function until almost 2am, so Wednesday's plans of heading out for a muskie hunt looked slim. I woke up around 9:30am and decided to go for it. I looked at the forecast, and was not a fan of the wind, snow or air temperature that was forecast for my destination... but I decided to go anyway. Not knowing what I would find at the launch, I packed salt, a shovel, and a small anchor and rope in case there was ice to break! As I drove up, I noticed that all the small ponds were frozen, as well as smaller bays on two of the lakes on the way... not looking good for my 2WD vehicle! I arrived at the launch, and was happy to see it was clear. The lake however was another story - covered in whitecaps. I loaded the boat, donned my survival suit and launched. Less than 5 minutes later, the flurries that had been falling turned into a full-blown snowfall - which really stung the eyes and face as I headed to my first spot. The water was a chilly 37F - the coldest I have ever fished for muskies.

I started fishing around 12:45pm - so I only had about 4 hours of light to fish. The lake was quite rough all over, and I tried casting a few of my favourite spots briefly but soon settled for the comfort of trolling. I worked a few of my prime runs, and then headed to a spot that has produced 3 quality fish in the past two years - including a 46" and a 48". I trolled it in one direction, then switched lures and turned around. Around 30 seconds later, the clicker on the Tekota screamed - I looked at the rod to see if I was hung up on bottom, but big headshakes indicated otherwise! As soon as I took the rod out of the holder, I knew this was a good fish. She stayed deep, and did not go on any crazy runs, but I could feel her power every time she shook her head. After a minute, I was able to raise her up - and my heart started racing for several reasons - she was big, and was barely hooked by one prong of one treble, right in the tip of her top lip. One hard run, jump, or thrash and she was history. I have a folding stowmaster net, which unfortunately was stowed in the compact position... so as I gingerly tried to keep the beast from shaking free with one hand on the rod, I tried to unfold and extend the net with the other. I failed. At this point, terrified of losing her, I just grabbed the net by the hoop, handle still inside and the hoop in a V, and stuck it in the water, and by some miracle, guided her into it on the first shot. The chances of this working out as it did were so minimal that I actually laughed like a mad fool when it happened! I extended the handle and looked down at my captive, and the hook had already fallen out! I soon realized that what I had in front of me might just be the muskie that I have been chasing for 10 years... could it be my first 50?

The beauty of the giant stowmaster nets are that they act as a big holding pen, and the fish are fully submerged and free to swim around and revive themselves as you set up for your picture. She needed no reviving thanks to the cold water, and sat upright with gills flaring as I set up, occasionaly testing the boundaries of her confines with her snout. I set up my camera on a special tripod I rigged up for my solo missions, and pressed the power button - but nothing happened. I took out the battery, which I had only charged a few days ago, put it back in and tried again - still nothing. I was at a loss. My phone has a camera, and also takes video, but it would be very hard if not impossible to get a picture of me holding a big fish with it. At this point I decided to get a measurement, and go from there. I lifted her out of the net, and laid her down on the vinyl floor where I had the tape already laid out. 49.5" glorious inches, and a full belly to boot. My new PB! (Old was 48"). I snapped a few quick pics with the phone, and decided that it was more important to get her back in the water then messing around trying to take an impossible pic. I recorded the following video of the release - she took off in seconds.

2012-11-28_14_53_21.jpg

495a.jpg

49_5_closeup.jpg

release9.jpg

release21.jpg

release31.jpg

I am really happy with finally getting a big one this late in the year - I have had very little success fishing muskies past October, and intentionally changed my pattern sligtly today - with a big payoff. What should worked this time of year DID work. Am I upset that I didn't get the money shot because of my camera not working - sure. But think of all the things that did go right - the fish never should have been succesfully landed with the way it was barely hooked and my struggles deploying the net. I got a few decent shots of her to remember her by, and she released perfectly to go and grow even bigger for next year. And I came ever so close to that magical 50 mark. With one or two trips left this year (weather permitting), there is still a chance... and let me tell you, there will be a second camera in the boat next time!

The good - Just getting out fishing. No ice to deal with. Not a single boat on the water except for me. Fall tactics actually working. Landing her despite the odds. Succesful release. New PB!

The bad - Wind and waves. Blowing snow.

The ugly - stupid camera!

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Fisherpete

Well, you're honest...It wouldn't be a 'stretch' to call that one 50". In fact, I really think you need to get a proper bump board...You might be surprised what that fish would have come up as...

Nice one...I hoping to get out a couple more times on Lake Erie and just maybe catch the monster!

Thanks! The camera angle is a bit misleading - trust me, I measured several times, she was 49.5". If I said she was a 50" even though she looks like it in the pics, I would always know the difference... it's a moot point anyways, I'm going to catch a 55" next summer at LOTW!!! I am planning to buy one of those bump boards that Ben Beattie uses for next season - they look awesome. When I fish with a partner, we measure them in my 60" Frabill cradle, in the water.

Congrats Pete, ater all the hours you have put in searching for that elusive big one, and time you have shared with other anglers, you got rewarded with some good karma. Its especially rewarding when you manage to net one so tenuously hooked.

Always a great report when you're on the hunt for the big 5 - 0 . Been following your quest for the 50 for 2 years now, good to see you get closer :clapping: . Look forward to the day, no doubt soon, when your reach your goal and post a beauty. Sounds like one me pre trip check - "Camera works - click - check".

I'm going to catch a 55" next summer at LOTW!!! I am planning to buy one of those bump boards that Ben Beattie uses for next season - they look awesome.

hahahahaha yes you will pete. i am looking forward to that trip already.

and didnt we talk about what we would do if we caught a 49.5 on the way up to lotw last year? how we wouldnt be able to call it a 50 unless that nose actually crossed the 5-0 line on the measure...

turns out we both bagged a 49.5 after the trip... pretty funny if you think about it.

awesome report and glad you were able to land that fish. you deserved it brother.

cheers

Nice! Made my day.

Anybody going out in those conditions deserves to hit the jackpot.

BTW, What is the rule of thumb with respect to the tail tips to measure.

Wide open or pinched?

peter

In MCI outings we pinch the tail to put everyone on the same playing field, bragging rights for the longest fish are a beautiful glass trophy donated by Swan Moving and Storage, who donates a trophy for all the outings. For me personally a true 50 inch fish is one measured without a pinch, i caught a 50 inch fish that pinched to 51 1/2 inches, which is common for a large musky, but sent in my release log to MCI as a 50 inch fish. Petes 49 1/2inch fish would have easily pinched 51 inches. For slot size walleye we have to measure tip of nose to tip of tail, we cant pinch to make them fit in the slot range, so to get the true length its without the pinch IMHO.

Thanks everyone! I have already ordered a spare battery for the camera which will stay in an inside pocket, it won't happen to me again... and maybe she would have made 50 with a tail pinch or on a bump board, but I am content with 49.5... for now ;) After helping Andrew pull in his 55 this summer, the bar has been set higher anyway!!!