What fish to eat for a Healthy Living

Billy Bob

Eat like a caveman. www.marksdailyapple.com I read up on it and now do my best to practice it with some exceptions. I still do not eat beef, pork or sheep but game is ok and fish is the mainstay...for me. I really feel better since I started a few months ago

Edited by Snidley

re:beef

There was an article somewhere talking about Xl and large processing plants and the gist or one of them I think, was that even though beef may have been raised hormone free/grass fed etc, the processing plant may negate those benefits through poor cleaning etc.. I'll try and find the article but it had a 'don't be so smug kind of warning for those who choose to eat that type of beef.

If you really want to be sure about the beef or pork or sheep there are farmers that run a delivery sevice for the GTA to specific drop off points but not to your home. They invite you to their farms and then you can see how the animals are raised/slaughtered and then place an order that will be delivered later. The meat IS frozen however.

I like all the information in the arcticle about sustainability too. It's something that I never used to pay attention to( and I think alot of my generation is the same ). But my daughter and a lot of her friends seem to be more aware of sustainable seafood and make their choices accordingly.

Always something to learn.

Saturated animal fat is good for you (see disclaimer above) :)

hey, i was just repeating what i've always been told. i never said i agreed or disagreed.

that said, more than half the meat i eat is either shot or caught by myself and i eat organic/wild grown fruit, veggies, berries, mushrooms, and other goodies that can be found in the bush as often as possible. i guess i've been following the "caveman" diet for years without realizing.

i live by the "doctor's don't know squat and i'll eat whatever i want" diet while staying away from the garbage food and additives that are too common.

And research shows that only select people have a correlation between their blood and dietary cholesterol levels, but most people do not.

If you have no liver issues, eat all the cholesterol you want, it won't harm you in the grand scheme of things.

The lean protein and omega 3 (EPA/DHA) content is really what makes fish desirable for healthy food consumption.

One factor to keep in mind is the content, or possible content of methyl mercury. In which case, the smaller the fish, usually the less methyl mercury content, but try to be conscience on the matter and do a little research. Shrimp is horrible for contaminants for example.

As far as red meat goes, I like moose and deer, personally. I just take my fish oil after eating it, lol (as I do with every meal)

Edited by manitoubass2

I've been taking 10,000mg (1800EPA/1200DHA) of fish oil daily for some time now.

I feel fantastic. What a difference.

Thats roughly what I take too, 10-12 grams daily. I take more if enjoying a few adult beverages however.

All the health benefits are great, but my favorite is nutrient partitioning/negative inflammation reduction.

You'd be silly not to supplement with fish oil... cheap, effective, and covers ALOT of needs

Dietary cholesterol =/= blood cholesterol.

This goes strongly against conventional medical advice, but there are doctors at the leading edge of research coming out against the convention.

But at the risk of being labeled an arm chair nutritionist, I'll leave you to Google.

I'll stay out this time i promise. Lol