What fish to eat for a Healthy Living

Billy Bob

I wonder where the fish that Chinese people eat would be classified. They eat Milkfish, a plankton feeder and spectacular gamefish if you can get them to take an algae fly, Capelins,a smallish fish that looks like a really silvery sardine and Bassa which I know is a horrible farmed catfish to eat. There's literally hundreds of other fish they eat if the frozen fish locker at the Y&M is anything to go on. There might be some very good options there if we knew about them.

I've seen these types of lists from various sources and they're all a little different, but they usually have a few things in common - wild Pacific salmon and Canadian farmed non-Great Lakes rainbow trout. As fish go, I mostly eat those and trouts I catch myself (and sometimes walleye, bass, and pike, but that's all increasingly rare for me).

But out of curiosity, what makes red meat so bad for you? I don't eat it every day, but I'm just curious why everyone says that, but never really gives a reason. When I eat a steak, I eat the fat and everything. But I buy the locally-raised, grass-fed, antibiotics-free, hormone-free stuff from Mennonites. And yes, it tastes much better than the grocery store stuff. Mmm, conjugated linoleic acid...

I've seen these types of lists from various sources and they're all a little different, but they usually have a few things in common - wild Pacific salmon and Canadian farmed non-Great Lakes rainbow trout. As fish go, I mostly eat those and trouts I catch myself (and sometimes walleye, bass, and pike, but that's all increasingly rare for me).

But out of curiosity, what makes red meat so bad for you? I don't eat it every day, but I'm just curious why everyone says that, but never really gives a reason. When I eat a steak, I eat the fat and everything. But I buy the locally-raised, grass-fed, antibiotics-free, hormone-free stuff from Mennonites. And yes, it tastes much better than the grocery store stuff. Mmm, conjugated linoleic acid...

Sin correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's the cholesterol and I think there was something about a bad strain of protoein, might be wrong though.

Love da oysters so nice to know they're good for ya!

Actually, I was already aware of that. Last year, I bought an oyster shucker and took up the fine art. There are no oyster bars that I knew of in Hamilton( Burlington has a couple, though ), so I had to learn how to do it if I wanted to enjoy 'em. Pretty easy to, actually. Lots of instruction available on youtube.

Sin correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's the cholesterol and I think there was something about a bad strain of protoein, might be wrong though.

high cholesterol and saturated fats in red meat are a couple reasons you should limit your intake. fish is definitely a healthier alternative assuming it's not taken from the hamilton harbor and deep fried before being dipped in tartar sauce...

If you LOVE OYSTERS you will love this event...but tickets sell REAL REAL fast...sometimes in minutes........

http://www.eventfarm.com/oysterriot

http://www.ebbitt.com/images/pdf/2012_Ebbitt_Comp_Results.pdf

In 2011 they served over 73,000 Oysters plus award winning wines...it's a all you can eat and drink (wine) oyster feasible....if I remember correctly it was $140 each...they only serve the FINEST oysters there....

http://www.ebbitt.com/images/menus_pdf/Oyster.pdf?20121127

Edited by Billy Bob

The healthiest fish I eat are any I catch myself, cause as an older retired fella it is probably the most exercise and fresh air I get during the day and my state of mind is much better after a day fishing, as to the health aspects of locally caught fish , they haven't done me any harm yet that I know of. :blink:

Edited by dave524

A very select few.

How common is this: You hear someone say "I eat bacon and eggs and meat and butter all the time and my Doctor can't believe how good my blood test results are" or the opposite "I eat healthy... grains, soy, low-fat dairy, margarine, canola oil and take prescription medication, but my cholesterol is still high"

The sooner this stuff gets out and widely accepted the better. The low-fat food guide is killing North America.

But, keep eating your 6 servings of grains and taking your Lipitor. It's good for the GDP! sad.gif

Again, this is just my self-educated/researched opinion.

THANK GOD you're not my doctor

or anyone else's doctor.... :whistling:

Edited by Billy Bob

A very select few.

How common is this: You hear someone say "I eat bacon and eggs and meat and butter all the time and my Doctor can't believe how good my blood test results are" or the opposite "I eat healthy... grains, soy, low-fat dairy, margarine, canola oil and take prescription medication, but my cholesterol is still high"

The sooner this stuff gets out and widely accepted the better. The low-fat food guide is killing North America.

But, keep eating your 6 servings of grains and taking your Lipitor. It's good for the GDP! sad.gif

Again, this is just my self-educated/researched opinion.

When did anyone say anything about Lipitor being good for you? (by the way, I like your view on things I'm just saying what I've heard/read)