• Garmin
    • Humminbird
  2. 2. Sonar/GPS Combo Unit

• Lowrance
    • Eagle
    • Garmin
    • Humminbird

Throwing this one out to the experts...

I intend to fish bigger lakes for bigger fish; Ontario, Erie, Simcoe, LSC but I also want plan on spending some time on small water as well.

I have an 18' Aluminium Center Console with plenty of room on the console, and room for battery storage (2)front and (1)rear.

I have a hand-held Gamin GPSMAP76, An old Eagle Fishfinder w/speed & temp and an old Mariner bow mount electric.

Q. I would like to use the old Eagle transducer/speed/temp sensors if possible because being a center console, they run under the floor. Are these older products generally universal plug-ins with newer units of same brand or different brands?

Q. My Garmin GPSMAP76 requires BlueChart CD software. Do Garmin sonar/GPS units only use chips? I don't want to buy maps in CD format AND chip format. Can I buy either format and upload from the computer to each accessory? Are Garmin fishfinders any good?

Q. I like the idea of the hand-held remote for the bow mount; are they any good, too slow turning, troublesome? I've also noticed some bow mounts with built in universal transducers; is this the way to go or is it better to strap on the one of your choice?

Q. Hand held or fixed mount VHF?

Guest lundboy

A1, Nope. Old grey or black plugs on eagle/lowrance units are no longer used on newer units. You will probably have to run the new transducer wiring. All new Lowrance GPS/Sonar combo units use the Lowrance Net cabling as well which means future expansion is a little easier in your case. You can add another head unit to the net and share the same GPS antenna and other accessories such as the fuel flow sensor, temp sensors, multi-function gauges etc.

A2, Don't know enough about Garmin to answer this

A3, The newer Minn Kota Terrovas steer fairly quickly with the handheld remote (mountable on your rod handle) but not as fast as cable type units, wireless remote on this motor is optional. The old Genesis motors were almost as fast as cable steer, but didn't have wireless remote (and were full of bugs). The Universal transducer is available on the MK motors, and require an adapter optional adapter cable to match your head unit brand. These tranducers are only usable while the motor is in the down position, and are more tuned to Humminbird since MK and HB are owned by Johnson Outdoors.

A4, I prefer handheld, but you will get better range with an antenna and fixed mount.

Edited by lundboy

The experts that I know recommend Lowrance and I'm in the works of getting either a 334c or its replacement 522ic.

I have a MiinKota 55 LB thrust with both built in transducer and autopilot and love it. It has the electronic footcontrol which I prefer over the huge cable driven ones, but have found that can be a preference thing among anglers. Have not found the turning response unacceptable and a good trade off for me rather than having those huge pedal/cable systems.

Only downside of transducer is that it is very generic and doesn't support added features such as the sidescan on my old Humminbird.

I intend to fish bigger lakes for bigger fish; Ontario, Erie, Simcoe, LSC but I also want plan on spending some time on small water as well.

I have an 18' Aluminium Center Console with plenty of room on the console, and room for battery storage (2)front and (1)rear.

I have a hand-held Gamin GPSMAP76, An old Eagle Fishfinder w/speed & temp and an old Mariner bow mount electric.

Q. I would like to use the old Eagle transducer/speed/temp sensors if possible because being a center console, they run under the floor. Are these older products generally universal plug-ins with newer units of same brand or different brands?

Q. My Garmin GPSMAP76 requires BlueChart CD software. Do Garmin sonar/GPS units only use chips? I don't want to buy maps in CD format AND chip format. Can I buy either format and upload from the computer to each accessory? Are Garmin fishfinders any good?

Q. I like the idea of the hand-held remote for the bow mount; are they any good, too slow turning, troublesome? I've also noticed some bow mounts with built in universal transducers; is this the way to go or is it better to strap on the one of your choice?

1. Tape 2 pieces of string to the old wire and pull it back out of the floor. Then take one string and fish the new wires thru the floor. Leave the other string for future string pulls.

2. Garmin writes their programs only for Garmin products so I don't like it because it has a small clientle to update for. Navionics writes for 4 different brand names including lowrance so they will spend the time and money to keep their maps updated. The maps come on a chip that might be able to be read on your computer but I have not tried it.

3. I am a cable fan the remotes are slow to turn when you have it cranked up due to speed or current. Besides what do you want another thing to break on it for. Transducers in 30 ft deep water you are reading a 20 ft circle the rear transducer will give you all the info you need. Dont get confused and think that the object that is on the screen is under the transducer.

4. On big water you want the best you can get that is a mounted vhf with a 8-12 ft antenna. Their is nothing worst than finding out the batteries are low on the handheld and you cant get a message out. Besides you should always have a vhf radio on (here in the states) on channel 16 to monitor for maydays.

Art

A1. Don't be pulling the transducer cable so fast, I use an OLD X-40 Lowrance, about 1989 vintage, and have been able to get the adapter cable from Lowrance in Missausage, on Matheson Dr. Call the they will help.

A4. I had a hand held VHF, good for around the harbour, but when you are out there and need help, you just can't beat the 25 watts of the fixed mount radio. Price wise, there's almost no difference. Get a quality antenna, BPS has 8' foot models, along with the stainless mount.

Unfortunately I can't afford to field test all the name brands, I've only used Lowrance so I voted Lowrance, no problems with them at all and customer service is great, I broke my 102C the warranty was up and they fixed it for free anyway.

The Raymarine units look unbelievable, could be my next unit.

Slowpoke I voted Lowrance but like Lowrance and Eagle as well. Some of the new Eagle products have the same resolution and toys as their Lowrance cousins for a few bucks cheaper. As far as the hand held remote for the bow mount I bought the Minnkota power drive model it comes with about 20 feet of very soft cable that you can sit beside you any where in the boat and use your foot or hands to steer. I also love the auto pilot feature on that model.

I have 2 hummingbirds a late 80`s model and a early 90`s the plugs for the transducer is different on both, don`t know the reasoning out the fact a new depthfinder probably should get a new transducer(LOL sell-sell).

Cable steering for me on bow-mounts, I get in close quarters and want to be sure what is going to happen when I hit the pedal. I like the idea of a built in transducer, the extra exposed wires are a pain sometimes. Cost seems high though for a built in transducer.

Never used a GPS so no opinions on that. Getting back to an exact spot on big water can be tough, a GPS helps.

I just purchased my 1st ever GPS unit this week and went with Lowrance because of the fact most of my fishing partners use them and have nothing but good things to say about the product.

As for Depth Finders, I've always used Humminbird and have 2 on my boat now, but I'm gonna be upgrading and will be going with Lowrance again for the same reason.

For bowmount trolling motors, my choice is cable steer. I've used them for years on different boats and have never had a single problem with any of them. I went with a Minn-Kota PD when I bought my current boat but didn't like it and got rid of it after the 1st season and went back to cable steer.

Ugh...why is it that so many people are so loyal to Lowrance?

My belief that they are still riding their reputation from the days of the X16 paper graphs is true it appears.

There are much better units available for the money than Lowrance folks, open your eyes a little bit.

Tony

I think that's the problem. Humminbird has a bad reputation from their 'Fish ID' model days. They actually have some very nice crystal clear colour units now, regardless if they come with the 'Fish ID' feature or not, that should always be turned OFF.

Raymarine have some new digital sonars that are very crisp looking.

Lowrance is all about the 'clutter' and 'fuzz' in my opinion....

LCX-112C-LQTR_xlarge.jpg

Humminbird Clarity - fuzz removal

937_cursor.jpg

Raymarine Digital - clarity

a-series-fish-family-300.jpg

Tony

Edited by tonyb

I started out with a marintech maxim video and still use it. I would like to update into a sonar program that would run on a laptop but I can only find one and my old laptop won't run it so I'm going to have to study up and see whats out there. I had been checking out navman because of the fuel sensor.

It don't turn off on the Matrix series..new in 2004

Ok...that does suck :lol: are you sure though?...Aaron has the Matrix as well and he has always run it in pixel mode, not Fish ID.

Nip28.jpg

I bought the 585c last year and have been very impressed for a mid-ranged sonar. There was nothing to compare it to from the Lowrance product lineat the time...Still is nothing in that price range from Lowrance that compares...

I thought the FISH ID only sonars were limited to the very basic and cheap models...

Tony

Edited by tonyb

Tony the clutter that you see are the reflections from the bottom to the surface and then back again. Adjusting the gain clears the clutter and gives you a great picture of the bottom and what the bottom is made of. The reason that other units are clearer is they have either less power on the signal or the electronics are necked down to the point that you are losing details that might help you find fish. It is very rare that I run my unit in the automatic modes because they are set up for multiple conditions and any of the units do none of them well. The lowrance is a quality unit that beat out all of the other units that I have had in the past including Hummingbird, bottom line, raymarine and garmin. What is the best for me may not be the best for someone else.

Art

I heard a guy on the radio say he just passed through a school of bait fish, well I know this guy's boat and I know he runs the same sonar as I do and I know he's right behind me and I marked nothing. So I circle around and turn the gain up a hair and there they were but it wasn't bait, it was water flees.

Like Art says a little tuning can make a big difference,

Thanks for the input folks. I was leaning towards an Eagle combo-unit but it seems the support for Lowrance is too overwhelming to consider anything else. Are they that good or does Lowrance sponser everybody on the forum but TonyB and myself? ;)

I'm going to do some reading and try to narrow it down amongst the Lowrance line up. I will likely post another thread with some questions.

Thanks again gang.

-Brian

Just compare spec for spec when considering your purchase. Some of the guys mentioned wattage and that is important for sure, but don't just buy a Lowrance 'because'... if you know what I mean ;)

Lowrance has built a great reputation for themselves, but are not an industry leader when it comes to innovation or cutting edge technology. The speed at which technology becomes obsolete these days is rediculous, you want to make a purchase that will satsify your needs for years to come.

P.S. Does anyone have an operational X-16 paper graph still in use or used paper rolls? I always thought a cool substitute for a wallpaper border would be the scrolls of paper generated by the graph :lol:

Tony

Guest lundboy

Here's the way to solve the debate...

Buy two ;)

Buy a Humminbird for the front of the boat, and a Lowrance for the console or vice versa. That way you get the best of both worlds.

I have an old Humminbird Wide Vision at the front of the boat that I use because it's the only sonar they produced with true side pointing sonar (yes I can see fish in weeds on the left and right sides of the boat with the special transducer). Don't confuse this with Side Imaging sonar.

I have a Lowrance 332c on the console which is on a RAM mount that I can swing around and view from the front deck as well.

The transducers are on separate frequencies and I rarely ever see any interference between them.

After reading all the EXCELLENT reviews concering the new Humminbird Side Imaging I purchased the 797c2Si....it's being installed right now.....hopefully get the boat out for a cruise tonight. I have to admit the service has been excellent wether on the phone or through emails.

Jason

Are they that good or does Lowrance sponser everybody on the forum but TonyB and myself? ;)

-Brian

That's a good one, just too many disgruntled people with hummincrows, and we all know where the crows hang out, around the garbage can.