an older fly-in trip report

chris.brock

on the drive up, here's the standard arctic watershed picture during our stretch break, the Cochrane drive seemed like a piece of cake compared to the Nakina drive.

IMG_0482.jpg

we were flying out of Gardiner, just north of Cochrane, we had to take a short ferry ride across the Abitibi River

IMG_0550.jpg

This is back when Ron Baron owned the outfit. He has since sold it. Ron was a great guy and a unique individual, anyone who has met Ron will know what I'm talking about. We stayed at Ron's guest cabin the night before flying in. We asked Ron if there was any fishing in the small lake we were on, just to pass the time. Ron said just to stay in our cabin. Here's the guys behaving themselves.

IMG_0483.jpg

Kesagami is a big, shallow lake that is very vulnerable to wind and waves. The group at camp the week before us could only fish Kesagami 3 days out of the week because of the waves. We were blessed with hot, calm conditions for the first 6 days. Later in the week, we were swimming often to cool down. With the sunny, calm conditions, one sandy back bay had a water temperature of 90 degrees. Ron had given us a map of the lake with a line down the middle and told us to stay on the west side of the line.

IMG_0516.jpg

We had to do a portage everyday from Partridge to Kesagami. Easy trail, flat, a little soggy. We would be coming back lighter on the return trip. In another trip, we talked to a guy who had been to Kesagami Lodge. He said the lodge owners called beers "units", and charged $5 for a single unit. We have since jokingly, called beers units. There was more units weighing us down heading east over the portage.

IMG_0533.jpg

The fishing was great. Lots of pike between 10 and 19 lbs. Plenty of walleye including a 6.5 lbs fish (no picture)

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0512.jpg

Time for shorelunch. 2 guys start the fire, 2 guys go for some walleye, grabbing a few walleye was an easy task on Kesagami

IMG_0529.jpg

Ron's camp was well kept and very clean and organized. Ron said no campfires so we found an old steel basin and had our evening campfires in there to leave no evidence behind. We are very passionate about having a beer or two around the fire after a day on the water. No damage was done. Ron did comment on how clean we had left the cabin and boats when we were flying out. Hopefully that justifies our bending of the rules.

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

Ron had signs everywhere explaining how to conduct yourself while in camp. He even had web cameras inside and outside of the cabin to keep you guessing.

IMG_0536.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

We had a great trip. We keep an accurate fish tally and we caught close to 700 fish total. We were super lucky with the weather but probably wouldn't go back because even a moderate wind can whip up nasty waves and turn the water into chocolate milk. The last day the wind did pick up and we had a bumpy ride, surfing waves back to the boat cache. We hardly fished Partridge. We always said we would take advantage of the good weather and fish Kesagami. Good weather was all we had.

Edited by chris.brock

Webcams inside and out of the cabin seems weird... Is that even legal?

The cameras must have been fake, the wire behind the camera led into the wall and couldn't be traced, the only way to transmit stuff up there is via satellite, pretty sure it would be considered illegal to have a camera in a rented cabin

the pic with the campfire in the tub, you can see a camera on the upper right side of the cabin

Edited by chris.brock

Piece of heaven up there! Thanks for the visit.

Probably rode the train past Ron's house 100 times. Everytime thinking... I'd like to go. Heard he is/was quite the nutbar though and didn't bother. Funny thing is Chris, the guy who likely took you across on the ferry, is now the owner of that camp. A great guy. You should go back.

Piece of heaven up there! Thanks for the visit.

Probably rode the train past Ron's house 100 times. Everytime thinking... I'd like to go. Heard he is/was quite the nutbar though and didn't bother. Funny thing is Chris, the guy who likely took you across on the ferry, is now the owner of that camp. A great guy. You should go back.

yeah, I know you love that lake, I've read lots of your reports from Kesagami, we didn't spend enough time on Partridge to find "the grocery store", it was a magical trip, we loved it but we've got lots of other places to see

Is there going to be a Kesagami lodge report Chris?...you already had the T shirt.

I had 2 perfect trips into Partridge with Maurice after changing hands of the camp.

If you ever decide to go back, take an evening or two and slay your brains out on Partridge Walleye.

Enjoyed the photos...thanks!

Is there going to be a Kesagami lodge report Chris?...you already had the T shirt.

I had 2 perfect trips into Partridge with Maurice after changing hands of the camp.

If you ever decide to go back, take an evening or two and slay your brains out on Partridge Walleye.

Enjoyed the photos...thanks!

good eye Slop, but I bought the shirt used at Value Village (you never know what you'll find in there when you're a cheap bugger like me).

post some pictures from your trip, if you get a chance, I'm sure at least me and Moosebunk would love to see them

we loved it but we've got lots of other places to see

Understandable man! There's never going to be enough time in a lifetime to visit everywhere you want to go and see, but it can be exciting to try...

The toss up for me often ends up being, do I visit somewhere new or go back to somewhere I know I already love. Fishing on Kesagami; like a few other places found, is hard to step away from when it comes calling. The place has never let me down. And along with friends and family who feel the same way, it's been a no-brainer to go back there for summer and winter trips.

Where are a couple places you'd like to go next???

post some pictures from your trip, if you get a chance, I'm sure at least me and Moosebunk would love to see them

In a number of past trips, Grant traveled alongside me Chris. You'll find him in both Kesagami and Pym reports, as well as many days spent over recent years on the ice and in my boats. Good memories.

Pym11-15S.jpg

Edited by Moosebunk

Understandable man! There's never going to be enough time in a lifetime to visit everywhere you want to go and see, but it can be exciting to try...

The toss up for me often ends up being, do I visit somewhere new or go back to somewhere I know I already love. Fishing on Kesagami; like a few other places found, is hard to step away from when it comes calling. The place has never let me down. And along with friends and family who feel the same way, it's been a no-brainer to go back there for summer and winter trips.

Where are a couple places you'd like to go next???

I've seen you and Grant at Kesagami (winter too) and Pym from past reports. I know you've got a passion for fishing/ exploring northern Ontario. One report that stands out, was when you went up the Moose and into the French. I haven't been on this site all that much, but I'd consider you and Solo (Mike), living Ontario fishing legends.

places I'd like to see next- Van Poele Lake with access to Kagianagami and a portage lake (Beartrap) from Twin Lakes Nakina, we went to Washi this year but were rained/ snowed out, I want another crack at Washi, that would be the top 2, Teabeau and another crack at Esnagami and the Attawapiskat are up there too

Thanks for posting Chris

These type of reports are what keeps me coming back to OFC-even when it might not be the type of adventure or trip for me-I still love to read them-little escapes

Other times they are places I'm interested in travelling to-so honest detailed reports are awesome-its like tripadvisor for fishing

I don't need honey holes etc-but broad feedback, high level techniques are great when trying to decide on where to go next out of possibly 10s of 1000s of choices

Cheers

Gordy

Chris, thanks again for the blast from the past. We trudged through the muskeg in your footsteps. I really don't have alot of photos that could possibly accentuate what Bunk has delivered from Partridge.

Since you mentioned.

The Attawapiskat watershed is an incredible destination. Bucket list for sure before the Ring of Fire really starts burning. We caught alot of beautiful fish on the last fly-in 2011. To really enjoy and rip up and down the river 30k each way...east or west, the highwater season is best. When the river is at normal levels it's a steelhead ditch with endless stretches of pools and rock gardens. Fish are confined and easy to catch but theres alot of work where navigation is concerned.

Bunk...It's not everyday that I roll into camp after having to shake a big fish from my arm and being left with a topraider stuck deep. I got lucky having an ER nurse,an RN and stevie Z an EMS dude on the trip. The look on their faces when I walked into camp is something I will never forget. Glad they were there.

I've got some planning of my own to do Chris, I'td be nice to see some more from you.