Mothball alternatives?

ah_long

I just winterized my boat and put it into an off site indoor storage.

To ward off moisture, I put a few of those starbrite moisture trap thingy

As for the little pest that would like to call my boat their home, I'm using grated Irish Spring Original Soap under the recommendation from a Marina.

What do you use to make sure little animals stay away? mothballs? Bounce Dryer sheets? Irish Spring?

we used mothballs in our trailer the first year we had it. in the spring we found plenty of mouse mess and several holes in the tent material not to mention the mothball smell for half the summer. last yr we used bounce sheets and didnt have any mice problems whatsoever, and no mothball smell. the week after we prepped the trailer for the summer (and took the sheets out) i found a family of baby mice in the corner of the trailer. i know i'll using the sheets again this year.

ryan

A friend of mine recommended whole cloves.

I tried it this year in my boat. Guess I will have to wait and see.....

+1

I used cloves in a derelict garage where we had to store our belongings while waiting to close on a house. Lots of evidence that there were many mice there, but cloves kept them out of our stuff.

I have a friend who didn't really understand what cloves are and used cloves of garlic in a tent trailer. It didn't slow the mice down one bit but he says at least he didn't see any vampires that year. :whistling:

All I know is mice did a number on my boat the first winter I had it... Started using bounce sheets and haven't seen a sign of a mouse in the past few years....

Take it however you want

Bounce smells SO good when the tarp comes off in the spring, lol! Gets rid of any lingering fishy smell.