older fly-in report- The Ogoki Pokey

chris.brock

it was mid August, the water was super low, no bugs was a bonus, stayed at John Rich's camp, flew with Nakina air, we did get 5 pike over 10 lbs but I don't know where those pictures are, this was my 2nd time to Ogoki, the last time I was there the water was super high, the fishing was quite different in the low water, in August

stayed at Twin Lakes the night before we flew in

100_1229.jpg

lots of decent walleye

100_1278.jpg

everybody having fun

100_1274.jpg

speckled trout rapids below Kayedon

100_1257.jpg

the owner John came in mid week, I got to fish with him for an afternoon, what a treat, he grew up on the lake, he showed us plenty of sunken islands and humps, after a couple drinks he started to chat more, great guy, great stories

100_1302.jpg

John could clean a walleye in about 15 seconds

100_1303.jpg

having a stretch break on a rocky island

100_1287.jpg

time to fly out, this was the weather, we were stuck in camp for 36 hours, no beer or booze left, if you're going to be stranded, Ogoki Lake isn't a bad place to be, I was fine if we were stuck for even a couple more days, we fished but stayed fairly close to camp in case the Otter came in

100_1315.jpg

Edited by chris.brock

I noticed the sign right away. That's Eddie's (as in Eddienorth) cousin from the Barrie area.

Can't believe he dragged that up there LOL!

Always wanted to fish Ogoki. What was the outpost like? I'm guessing not overly luxurious.

John's outpost is top notch, new and clean, 3 bedroom, a bunkie also, 2 fridges work well, electric lights, hot water, shower

Wilderness North's camps look very well kept too, Leuenbergers Kayedon camp is great- idyllic spot, all log cabin with porch

I still prefer the older camps where you feel you don't have to take you boots off when you come inside, and you can feel the history of the place

Edited by chris.brock

Loving the old reports Chris

I'm researching our 2014 trip so it's really helpful and helps stave off the winter blues

Have you ever been to any air Cochrane or white River air camps :lol:

Cheers

Gordy

I have flown with both. Both offer good fishing, but between the two I'd give the nod to WRA. Nicer lakes, better cabins and much more interesting terrain.

The only reason I don't use WRA all the time is because they're quite expensive.

For what they're charging I'll generally drive a bit further and fly out of Nakina instead.

If you have any questions about specific lakes shoot me a pm.

I have flown with both. Both offer good fishing, but between the two I'd give the nod to WRA. Nicer lakes, better cabins and much more interesting terrain.

The only reason I don't use WRA all the time is because they're quite expensive.

For what they're charging I'll generally drive a bit further and fly out of Nakina instead.

If you have any questions about specific lakes shoot me a pm.

Thanks Mike generous offer as always

Will shoot you a Pm for sure. I like WRA for the cabins as well

Parks based on your awesome reports is also in the mix as well

Gordy

• 3 weeks later...

I too have been to John's cabin. The nice thing for him is he will let a group of 2 into his camp. Many places will only accept a group of 4. This was the first place we managed a 100+ fish day-all right in front of the cabin after running around the entire lake for a week.

His cabins are top notch (for an outpost) and he even has a sauna!

The only disappointing thing part for the 2 trips I took there was our inability to find big pike. We actually did catch one pike over 20 pounds fishing for walleye.

PM me as well if you want to discuss anything.

Edited by wantabigone