Anyone float fish with a baitcaster?

Sharkbait22

Italo is a butt plug haha.

I hear you,but when a fellow makes 50 times plus more than I do fishing,I tend to listen a little bit,if you know what I mean.

He's doing something right, Right?

I might add more than 280 days a year,I would think he might know a little bit more than you and I. Just saying.

Edited by davey buoy

There's an elderly gentleman that fishes the Saugeen regularly. He's been using a baitcaster for as long as I can remember. Almost always outfishes those around him.

His casting distance and the water he can cover is the key.

Darryl Chronzey and Lorne Green (LG Cusom and G. Loomis Canada) hooked up and did a show together many years ago using baitcasters on 11 1/2' IMX blanks built especially for baitcast reels. Probably early 90's. Darryl also did several magazine articles (Ontario Fisherman) close to twenty five years ago now using this method.

Edited by kwikfish

There's an elderly gentleman that fishes the Saugeen regularly. He's been using a baitcaster for as long as I can remember. Almost always outfishes those around him.

His casting distance and the water he can cover is the key.

Darryl Chronzey and Lorne Green (LG Cusom and G. Loomis Canada) hooked up and did a show together many years ago using baitcasters on 11 1/2' IMX blanks built especially for baitcast reels. Probably early 90's. Darryl also did several magazine articles (Ontario Fisherman) close to twenty five years ago now using this method.

If you think about it,with a upscale reel with nice bearings,why wouldn't that work on 13'6" rod or whatever length?. That's the type of reel I use 3/4 of the year.

Edited by davey buoy

I sold my pin and now have a baitcaster just for da river. esp for those day's when using a very small bait you can drop it right where you want to. not saying a pin isn't the way to go or a baitcaster is best, it's a personal pref as to what you are more comfortable with.

as for the shift type R reel, who pay's his bills? yup, Rapala SURE does. any good baitcaster works...

I am not saying it won't work. I just wanted to say my feelings on Italo.

To each's own, Personally I don't mind him.:thumbsup_anim:,As we speak I'm watching his former partner. Now That is a whole different topic if you believe what you hear,lol.

Edited by davey buoy

I used baitcasters floating for years now. I particularly liked the technique for big water, in winter, specifically the Niagara for me.

Years ago I met the chap who fishes the Saugeen with a baitcaster. We talked in detail because I also was running a baitcaster float rig. First off he uses a much longer rod than I would. I believe he uses a 14' rod. He also used at that time , an Abu C3 or C4 reel. Again just like BC, but in my opinion a really hack reel. Personally I used a Calcutta 201 first and then I moved to a Daiwa Millionaire 251 CVZ. The quality reel makes sense for casting distance and a good solid drag at low settings so don't cheap out here. If you fish in cold weather there is another major consideration and that is the line quide configuation. With most baitcasters the line guide on the the reel is a moving unit with a small hole to pass the line through. It freezes up quickly in winter and inevitably leads to blown casts and birdsnests. Very hard to keep clear, in winter. The Record, C3 and C4 Abu's as well as Daiwa Millionaire CVX and CVZ and the newer Luna have a much different configuration using two parallel bars that moves along the rail of the reel. This configuration offers a much larger pass through that is easy to keep open in freezing weather. This is a VERY desirable feature if you fish through the colder months like I do. The chap up north also does something very few anglers do anymore. He fishes with sponge not roebags. It must behave under water in a much different way than a roe bag because this guy does slay them and even though he does cover water the centerpin crowd can't reach he is still fishing a lot of the same water as the row anglers but with better results. The same can be said for using Glo Bugs at the 'geen, often works much better than roe especially in pressured situations.

When I started I used a 13' GL2 that I had converted to baitcasting handle and guides. It was a blank listed for up to 8lbs. and in my opinion it was too long and too soft. I then had a custom rod made up from a 1263 blank from Loomis. It was rated 8-12lb. and is the most common blank used in BC for this purpose. Too me this blank is way under rated at a max of 12lb. and to me it is a rod that was too stout but exactly the right length. I eventually sold my 1263 and I spent a few years looking for a 1261 or 1262 GL3 that I could make into a baitcast rod but never found either the blank or an actual rod tied that way. A 10'6" baitcaster rated up to 10lb line would be the ideal for here in Ontario, in my opinion. I believe ST Croix makes one in the Avid line and I see that St Croix.com is offering a Wild River 10'6" M power in their bargain room for $80 or$90. If one was on a budget or testing the waters out this might be a rod to look at as a Wild River rod is much softer than an Avid per it's line rating. Rapala also makes a baitcast floatrod I think rated Medium and that's probably why Italo was using one on his show. I've met him too and he is a very nice chap who made a mistake about 15 years ago that the perfect types won't let go of. He know's a lot about fishing, lure modification as well as boating and he is very willing to share his knowledge if you see him at any fishing shows (usually in the Rapala booth)

Baitcast floatfishing offers a competent caster a much superior method of getting your cast to places where even the best caster with a pin can go. You use more weight and slip type bobbers or very large set floats (Drennan Pikers and big Raven slip floats are most common but the Big Thills are good too. The best floats however are made from the handle of an aquarium net. That compressed foam handle is bright white for visibility on extra long drifts, has a big hole through the middle to allow your weight to drop the bait quickly and floats enormous weight. The handle itself is heavy so as to enhance casting. They are cheaper too.All of this is good). The other thing about casting rods over noodle set ups is that you can effectively use alternatives to roe bags and flies. I use Hot Shots, Quickfish, Spin and Glows, Blades and big jigs with a baitcaster float rod and although you could use the same gear on a pin setup the overall delicacy of a pin rig here in Ontario makes these methods less than ideal. Today when I use a float rig it's always on big water and I now use a 9'6" rod Fenwick Techna. 10'6" would be better but I can still effectively fish my 9'6" rod for floating and chucking lures without a float so the transport issue is somewhat mitigated.

For anyone interested in floating a baitcaster I would suggest a 10'6" med light rod, a round baitcaster with the Abu/Daiwa line guide set up and big floats with lots of weight. It won't work well everywhere but it can really change up the way you fish and will produce better results some of the time in some of the locations. Feel free to contact me and I will share what I know of this fishing method

Edited by Snidley

Agree with Bill. On big water, using big floats and fishing big current, long baitcasting rigs they work great. But in small streams or light currents, they're not so good. The small spool on a baitcaster doesn't turn over anywhere near as easily as the large spool on a centrepin. Fish slow runs and the difference is night and day.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

I ripped all my braking devices and magnets out of my baitcaster 7 ball bearing model from Quantum given to me by rep from company for said purpose. I had a custom Loomis rod made by Jon Witzke that had twist guides to take the line from the top of the rod to the bottom. Sold it here on the classifieds last year cuz I can't be bothered to steelhead fish anymore

Here a pic

float-1.jpg

I never had any problems on frogwater or small flows. Inferior to a pin yes but not by a lot.

Why all the hate on Italo? lol Personally hes one of my favorites and arent all fishing show guys sponsored by fishing companies? Sure he preaches about sail and rapala like no tomorrow but Ive heard dave mercer trying to "sell" yamaha outboards? Their just doing their jobs. Italo is a great guy, very interactive with his fans he has almost every episode on youtube and if you message or comment a question he will always respond and sooner that you would think. Only thing that I dont get is why he fishes in india so much dunno.gif

Why all the hate on Italo? lol Personally hes one of my favorites and arent all fishing show guys sponsored by fishing companies? Sure he preaches about sail and rapala like no tomorrow but Ive heard dave mercer trying to "sell" yamaha outboards? Their just doing their jobs. Italo is a great guy, very interactive with his fans he has almost every episode on youtube and if you message or comment a question he will always respond and sooner that you would think. Only thing that I dont get is why he fishes in india so much dunno.gif

+1

I'm also not too sure what's up with the god bless you thing when he responds to questions, but I don't mind.

Works great - I'm looking for a blank to build on right now for a baitcast specific rig.

...It must behave under water in a much different way than a roe bag because this guy does slay them and even though he does cover water the centerpin crowd can't reach...

Huh? With the right size gear I can blast a centrepin right right across that sucker...

The Niagara is a different beast however when it comes to needing length on your casts.

Italo is a knob, not a great guy.

April 3, 1998

Two Men Fined A Total Of $1,800 For Fishing Violations

Italo Labignan, 41, of Freelton, Ontario and Henry Waszczuk, 47, of Burlington, Ontario were fined a total of $1,800 today on three charges under the Ontario Fishery Regulations.

Labignan and Waszczuk pleaded guilty to a joint charge of using a hook in a manner to hook whitefish in body parts other than in the mouth. They appeared in Ontario Court (Provincial Division) in Trenton. Labignan also pleaded guilty to a charge under the regulations of failing to release a fish in a manner that caused the least harm to the fish and was fined $200. Labignan and Waszczuk are the hosts of a television show, Canadian Sportfishing.

Conservation Officers from the Ministry of Natural Resources investigated the two men's fishing activities after receiving a complaint. During the investigation, COs seized a number of video tapes. The tapes, along with other evidence, showed the two men as they were videotaped fishing for whitefish in the Trent River in Trenton on November 6, 1995 using a fishing lure commonly called a jig. They caught a number of whitefish, and with the possible exception of one or two fish, the fish were hooked in parts of the body other than in the mouth. The whitefish were re-hooked in the mouth and then the fish were taped being brought in once again.

As part of the sentence, the court ordered them to destroy all video footage for November 6, 1995 that may be in their possession or control. Video footage already seized by the MNR was ordered forfeited.

Labignan's charge of failing to release a lake trout caught during a closed season resulted from an incident on the Trent River in Trenton on November 6, 1995. Labignan obtained a lake trout caught by another angler, hooked it onto his own fishing line, and recorded the fish being brought in.

In addition, Karen Monaghan, 37, host of a TV show produced by Canadian Sportfishing called the Natural Angler of Toronto, was fined $800 after she pleaded guilty to a charge under the Ontario Fishery Regulations of using a hook in a manner to hook whitefish in body parts other than in the mouth.

The court was told this offence also took place at the Trent River in Trenton on November 6, 1995, Monaghan hooked a number of whitefish in body parts other than the mouth using fishing jigs. The fish were then re-hooked in the mouth and recorded being brought in, hooked in the mouth. Monaghan was ordered to destroy all video footage for November 6, 1995 in her possession or control, and a forfeiture order was issued for the video footage already seized by MNR.

Waszczuk is scheduled to appear in Burlington court on April 6, 1998 to answer a charge of fishing in a fish sanctuary, and also in Peterborough court on April 16, 1998 to answer a charge of fishing for bass during a closed season. Both of these charges are under the Ontario Fishery Regulations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Brian Blomme

Communications Services Branch

TORONTO (416) 314-2095

Works great - I'm looking for a blank to build on right now for a baitcast specific rig.

Huh? With the right size gear I can blast a centrepin right right across that sucker...

The Niagara is a different beast however when it comes to needing length on your casts.

Italo is a knob, not a great guy.

April 3, 1998

Two Men Fined A Total Of $1,800 For Fishing Violations

Italo Labignan, 41, of Freelton, Ontario and Henry Waszczuk, 47, of Burlington, Ontario were fined a total of $1,800 today on three charges under the Ontario Fishery Regulations.

Labignan and Waszczuk pleaded guilty to a joint charge of using a hook in a manner to hook whitefish in body parts other than in the mouth. They appeared in Ontario Court (Provincial Division) in Trenton. Labignan also pleaded guilty to a charge under the regulations of failing to release a fish in a manner that caused the least harm to the fish and was fined $200. Labignan and Waszczuk are the hosts of a television show, Canadian Sportfishing.

Conservation Officers from the Ministry of Natural Resources investigated the two men's fishing activities after receiving a complaint. During the investigation, COs seized a number of video tapes. The tapes, along with other evidence, showed the two men as they were videotaped fishing for whitefish in the Trent River in Trenton on November 6, 1995 using a fishing lure commonly called a jig. They caught a number of whitefish, and with the possible exception of one or two fish, the fish were hooked in parts of the body other than in the mouth. The whitefish were re-hooked in the mouth and then the fish were taped being brought in once again.

As part of the sentence, the court ordered them to destroy all video footage for November 6, 1995 that may be in their possession or control. Video footage already seized by the MNR was ordered forfeited.

Labignan's charge of failing to release a lake trout caught during a closed season resulted from an incident on the Trent River in Trenton on November 6, 1995. Labignan obtained a lake trout caught by another angler, hooked it onto his own fishing line, and recorded the fish being brought in.

In addition, Karen Monaghan, 37, host of a TV show produced by Canadian Sportfishing called the Natural Angler of Toronto, was fined $800 after she pleaded guilty to a charge under the Ontario Fishery Regulations of using a hook in a manner to hook whitefish in body parts other than in the mouth.

The court was told this offence also took place at the Trent River in Trenton on November 6, 1995, Monaghan hooked a number of whitefish in body parts other than the mouth using fishing jigs. The fish were then re-hooked in the mouth and recorded being brought in, hooked in the mouth. Monaghan was ordered to destroy all video footage for November 6, 1995 in her possession or control, and a forfeiture order was issued for the video footage already seized by MNR.

Waszczuk is scheduled to appear in Burlington court on April 6, 1998 to answer a charge of fishing in a fish sanctuary, and also in Peterborough court on April 16, 1998 to answer a charge of fishing for bass during a closed season. Both of these charges are under the Ontario Fishery Regulations.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Brian Blomme

Communications Services Branch

TORONTO (416) 314-2095

All respect gone...

Sorry for the highjack...

As for the baitcast set-up, I think in the right situation it's perfect. I hate freezing my hand off using a pin in the dead of winter, I can't change it up and chuck hardware with my pin, etc, etc.

You need the right stick though, a 14' noodle just won't do the job correctly (unless perhaps it is spiral wrapped). I'm searching for something in the 11'6" to 12' range with lots of meat to build on.

Most know their past. Sometimes people make mistakes. Once your sentence has been served,it,s behind ya.

Get my drift :whistling:

I dont like either one of them,but did the time for the crime.SORTA SPEAK.

I'm not so forgiving. That puts those two idiots in the same category as the tuna rod/treble hook crew in my books.

When you're being paid to do a job, cheating is a lousy thing to do.