Portable Ice Shelter

LucG

Hey guys, I'm searching for a portable ice shelter and was looking for some advice from others.

I am after a two man shelter that folds into a sleigh, preferably with two built in seats. I’ve looked at Clams, Frabills, Otters and multiple other brands, but am unsure which to go with. I was looking at spending approx. $400-500.

I had almost decided on the Clam Fish Trap - Nanook at $339 but then read multiple negative reviews regarding the fabric tearing, poor hardware, weak poles etc..

The next model up is the Clam Fish Trap - Yukon at $449

I'm basically looking for something durable, built to last, and fairly light. It needs to be easily put up as well as taken down. I figured I'd come ask the folk who know best. So if any of you have purchased something similar, please give me your thoughts and/or suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

If we buy two at the same time maybe we'll get a discount? I'm looking for the exact same thing. I found wholesalesports had some good deals but shipping and returning faulty products was a concern. Hopefuly you get some good advice here, as I'll be watching closely.

That might be something I would seriously consider. But I too am leery about purchasing something online that I am not 100% confiend in. Thus my post here. Its hard enough to decide on a specific brand, let alone the many different models within. We'll keep in touch, let me know if you come accross anything, and I'll do the same.

See if you can find an older Fish Trap Guide in good condition. Kijiji is a great place to look for these and you can usually find one cheap.

Thanks I'll look into it.

Is there something specific about this older model that you liked?

After completely destroying a fish trap guide in 2 seasons (towing behind snowmobile) I swore off Clam forever. After 1 season with an Otter Ice Cabin I'm more than happy with it. Everything is more durable. Just my 2 cents.

X2

Put my otter through hell and back the past few winters. Everything is more durable on them. Worth the extra cash for sure.

After completely destroying a fish trap guide in 2 seasons (towing behind snowmobile) I swore off Clam forever. After 1 season with an Otter Ice Cabin I'm more than happy with it. Everything is more durable. Just my 2 cents.

X2

Put my otter through hell and back the past few winters. Everything is more durable on them. Worth the extra cash for sure.

Thanks guys, I'll take a look at the Otters a little more closely.

I've had my Guide for 5 seasons now....bought it used and towed it behind my sled and quad, full of gear, on Lake Simcoe 4-5 times a week during the season. Still going strong. Just the odd "mouse hole". The tub has no holes. I've always used downhill skis on the bottom as runners. I do go thru a few sets of skis per season though.

Edited by ckrb2007

did you have runners installed on your fish trap guide?

Oh yeah, I blew through a set of runners per season. As the second set of runners was wearing down that's when the hole/tear/crack in the sleigh started to open up. Cheap plastic. That was the worst part of the design... the shallow sleigh with thin/weak plastic. IMO, Compared to the Otter products the Clams are like kids toys.

Thanks guys, I'll take a look at the Otters a little more closely.

I'll vouch for 12foot's treatment of the double Otter he adopted from me, he beats it..mercilessly. I have the smaller version, you get what you pay for. I had a Frabill once, it lasted one outing... garbage.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Before I began my research, I had though for sure Clam built quality products, but with many negative reviews, I'm starting to think not.

Does any one have any good pics of their portables? Inside and out?

5-6 years ago i got a guide, i freaking loved it , but found it to small for 2 adults so i sold it and bought a new clam yukon 2 years ago, and i hate it (compared to the older guide), quality isnt there no more, wish i woulda keep my smaller 2 man or got a frabill or otter, oh well i guess you live and you learn!!

When clam changed the way they mounted the seats(old ones went across the tub and the newer ones go half way and then rest the bar on the floor) that is when I thought those are going to be junk. Sure enough a buddy of mine bought one and the bar of the seat post in 2 weeks wore right through the sled from all of the bouncing around that the seat did. He is now looking for a new portable. Go with Frabil or Otter, both very good brands IMHO.

Rob C

I have used almost every model of Clam shelter out there, and I have to admit that the Nanook is my fav and the only hut I still use to this day. I have mine all tricked out with removable seats, GoPro mounts etc, and I dont have a negative thing to say about it.

I have an older Clam Yukon. This Hut is going into 6 years and I Fish it a lot!!

It is a bit on the heavy side so unless you are pulling on glare ice and/or short distance you will need a sled or Bike(ATV)

Other than the Runner/Sliders This hut has been bullet proof!! Good seats. Lots of room for 2 and all my "Stuff"

I started with the Clam runners but they did not last 1 year,

I then went to downhill skis and they made it thru 2 years

I now have some HUMV plastic and I have 2 years and will likely get 3 on this set up

IMG_2347.jpg

Rick

Does any one have any good pics of their portables? Inside and out?

Yup.....try this link to a post i did when i got my Otter 3 years ago.

MY OTTER OUTDOORS 3 MAN FLIP UP SHELTER

Although the material seemed flimsier than the Top of the line Frabil at the time it had more leg room out front. I went for the bench seat because my wife was expecting and i thought the bench would be better set up for small kid.

I chose the Otter because the sled part of it was just way sturdier and deeper.

I have used almost every model of Clam shelter out there, and I have to admit that the Nanook is my fav and the only hut I still use to this day. I have mine all tricked out with removable seats, GoPro mounts etc, and I dont have a negative thing to say about it.

Are most of the two man shelters light enough to haul by hand? The reason I am buying one is to bring with me to all my small back lakes, most often walking through a narrow winding trail through the bush. But I'm starting to get the feeling they might be too big/heavy. Am I better off getting a popup shelter without the sleigh/seats?

Edited by LucG

Yup.....try this link to a post i did when i got my Otter 3 years ago.

MY OTTER OUTDOORS 3 MAN FLIP UP SHELTER

Although the material seemed flimsier than the Top of the line Frabil at the time it had more leg room out front. I went for the bench seat because my wife was expecting and i thought the bench would be better set up for small kid.

I chose the Otter because the sled part of it was just way sturdier and deeper.

Thanks, Looks very roomy, but definitly not one I'd like to haul by hand.

Luc, take a look a this thread I started last year

http://ontariofishin...=1entry669811

Most of the pop-up/sleigh type shelters online either come in 1 or 3 man design. The 3 man's are typically near or over 100lbs, while any available 2 man's are around 90-95. 100lbs is way too much for me to haul around, plus additional gear on back lakes.

These type of shelters are mostly for guys with sleds or four-wheelers I'd say....unless someone here can vouch otherwise.

I'll probably just look into a tent-style unit and purchase a separate hand-sleigh to pull all my gear. They are much cheaper too (around 150-300) and some of the online distributers have really good sale pricing.

Here are some other links.

http://www.lebaron.c...am_shelters.pdf

At 18lbs the eskimo looks like a nice unit

http://www.lebaron.c...ll12/eskimo.pdf

Here are a couple Pelican sleds. I have a similar one from CT.

http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_files_fall12/bluefox_pelican.pdf

Edited by Rod Caster