Last Open Water Trip of 2012

DRIFTER_016

I got back from my annual Alaska trip a week ago today but just had to get one last open water trip in before winter sets in for good up in the North country. :D

We got to the lake around 11AM (takes a while to get my old bones goin' when the temp is freezing ;) ) Got the old girl started and we headed the 13KM all the way to the North end of the lake to the area I did really well last October.

The forcast was for clouds, flurries some North winds and a high of 2C. :blink:

We arrived at our chosen location and tossed out the baits of choice some big old Wolverine spoons and started trolling off the rivermouth. It wasn't long before old esox showed and the game was on. We managed a good bunch of pike again this year but no big lakers were brought to the boat.

My buddy did get broken off and also lost a big fish just out of site though. Either of these fish could have been big lakers the way they battled. We also witnessed a school of lakers balling bat on the surface which was cool. Only seen this happen 1/2 dozen or so times.

We stopped fishing at 4PM in order to hit the river and dip bait for the winter and 2013 season. The ciscoes were in thick and in under an hour we had our bait. Another 1/2 hour of spinner chucking for whities only netted us one more small laker unfortunately.

On to the pics.

Enjoy!!!! B)

PA200245.jpg

PA200239.jpg

PA200240.jpg

PA200238.jpg

PA200246.jpg

PA200248.jpg

PA200249.jpg

PA200251.jpg

PA200252.jpg

Alaska pics to come. B)

Awesome report, I would like to see some pics from Alaska as well haha. Even if they aren't fishing haha. One day I will get to BC and Alaska.

Cant wait to see some of the monster you get through the ice again. When do you start getting good ice another month?

Edited by Live2fish85

Another great report Dave. Some super fish you have there but my favorite shot is of the ciscoes. To store for winter use, do you flash freeze them on a pan and use as needed? Do you need to salt them or do anything else to keep the flesh firm enough for use as bait. What great pike or laker bait they'd make. Nice.

Another great report Dave. Some super fish you have there but my favorite shot is of the ciscoes. To store for winter use, do you flash freeze them on a pan and use as needed? Do you need to salt them or do anything else to keep the flesh firm enough for use as bait. What great pike or laker bait they'd make. Nice.

Roy

I use medium freezer bags and pack 5 baits to a bag and dump them in the freezer.

When I'm going to use them I thaw out a couple of bags and salt them up to toughen them up a bit.

Cisco_pkg.jpg

Should be drilling holes in about 2 or 3 weeks. :D

It was pretty quiet on the lake but we did see more boats than I thought we would.

I guess we weren't the only diehards out. :lol:

My Alaska report will be comming soon. Tons of pics to go through and edit.

Lots of fishing was done. ;)

Another couple of weeks of open water would be nice but I would have to change my Alaska dates and that ain't gonna happen. I gotta be there for the peak of the rainbow/dolly varden action. :tease:

Our whitefish fishing is totally different than any of the whitie fishing I did back in Ontario.

I still haven't really figured it out for consistency yet. We catch them in deep water like in Simcoe but we also catch them in shallow water like spring fishing in Owen Sound. :dunno: :dunno:

Each lake is different. Still working on getting it down.

I know the next world record is swimming around in Great Slave.

I have seen net caught fish bigger than the current world record and have hear of a net caught whitefish that weighed 29#'s!!!! :w00t:

That is double the current WR.