Another boat for me

ah_long

So after I sold my Monark to a buddy, I was looking for a new to me boat again.

So I went from a 14ft aluminum tiller to a Ranger R61 to a Monark King 160SC and now I'm back with a Ranger R61

Jackie found this boat for me and went down to the US with me to pick it up (third boat from the US), the only difference is I'm towing my own boat this time thumbsup_anim.gif

The owner was originally reluctant to sell but after a month of phone calls, I finally got my hands on her. The price was right so I didn't ask for a single dollar of discount off this baby.

Boat rides really nice, the 90hp ELPTO pulls hard (pulls even harder than Jackie's R61 w/ 115 Optimax & Jack Plate)

Boat comes with a 70lb maxxum already so I saved quite a bit of money as I won't need to upgrade the trolling motor. The trailer fenders are recently redone and powder coated, there are new alloy/aluminum wheels on the trailer as well.

I got two 858C Di and a ProMariner Pro Sport Plus 3 bank charger. Installed a float switch to the bilge and the boat is almost done. Just need to order a deck extension, do some cleaning, get a new custom cover done, install a water pressure gauge and that's pretty much it.

The only quirk with the boat is the torn seats, I'm debating whether to buy new seats or to re-upholster. If I'm going for new seats, I'm deciding between these four. Getting a skin from Ranger is probably out of the question as Ranger wants more than what a new set of seats would cost for just the skin. Suggestions would be appreciated.

8092757923_6afac59faa_z.jpg

bbs17.jpg

bbs-402-17.jpg

bs17-400-boat-seats.jpg

bs17-402.jpg

8092566577_d9de6d926e_z.jpg

8092567853_945492a1b5_z.jpg

Edited by ah_long

Think I would recover that piece my self. That center section is most likely Velcro in. Take apart carefully find matching color. Trace pattern and re install.

the whole bench is one piece.

The only thing that can be 'removed' easily is the cushion in the middle and it can be removed and flipped upside down like you saw in the pics

Boat looks real nice.

Seats don't look terrible, I'd wait until they get really shoddy, then recover after that. Should be a reasonable after-market place to get some on-line. May want to check BBC.

When replacing, I'd look at getting rid of the centre seat entirely. It just invites people to step on it, which is what leads to tears. People sometimes miss stepping on the centre and slide off the sides and step on the driver or passenger seat, which rips them.

One other suggestion - replace that old bow roller with one of the yellow plastic ones, much softer and easier on loading. Those older ones get cracked and hard as rock in the sun, unless they've changed them somehow.

Congrats on the boat.

Me, I would keep it as is for now for a few reasons.

1, you tend to flip stuff so why pay extra when not needed

2, it looks like it will last for a season or 4 for that matter

3, do you really need to spend more for something that works

4, I can go on and on but NICE BOAT!

Edited by GBW

Me, I would keep it as is for now for a few reasons.

1, you tend to flip stuff so why pay extra when not needed

2, it looks like it will last for a season or 4 for that matter

3, do you really need to spend more for something that works

4, I can go on and on but NICE BOAT!

I'm probably going to get a nice deal on the seats thumbsup_anim.gif.. I can tell you already that the whole set of seats cost less than just the seat skin from Ranger whistling.gif

Replace the seats I did on my Ranger and the technology in the way the new seats cushion and support you is like night and day. I have a 68 year old fishing buddy who went from grimacing to smiling on rough days and it makes me feel better too. Very nice ride to fish and tool around in no matter which seats you decide on.

Art

• 3 weeks later...

just got her back from Paul @ Ravencraft, top notch quality as usual. I'm not affiliated with them in any way but their work is impeccable.

Paul did a ratchet system for me as I don't want to do buttons on a fibreglass hull. There's two small ratchets on each side of the back of the boat with a small pouch holding each of them. Three vents with individual support, openings for fender buoys/docking rope. Reinforced at high stress area such as windshield, gas cap and trolling motor. I'm using the top gun material again as I have had good experiences with it.

8163230420_059402c00b_z.jpg

8163198865_36b77a54e3_z.jpg

8163231574_d33ea5df63_z.jpg

8163232158_8a25ecac68_z.jpg