Old Fashioned Fishfinder

Twocoda

Although my uncle in law (Bob) loves to build boats in his spare time ..this one is a first for him in his 89 years on the planet...now i have to convince him to put the plans on paper so i can build one...Snoopy doesnt only fly planes... :dunno:

DSC_7526.jpgDSC_7531.jpgDSC_7530.jpgDSC_7529.jpgDSC_7528.jpgDSC_7524.jpgDSC_7522.jpgDSC_7523.jpgDSC_7520.jpgDSC_7519.jpgDSC_7518.jpg

I would think "Bobs your uncle" when it comes to this lil jem :clapping:

what hp motor will it take on the back ??

I bet an electric transom unit as going too fast may pop the 'glass' used when trying to get on plane with a gas one.

Get the GoPro out for the maiden voyage to put all the neg. posts to rest I say.

Great work, you don't see many homemade boats anymore. It sure will be fun to see whats on the bottom, I'll bet you'll see some interesting stuff. On another point I'm a little concerned with the pressure the glass panels have to support. Here's the math, a cubic foot of water weights 62.4 lbs. If the boat draws 4 inches of water the pressure on each square foot of glass will be 20.8 pounds. So if the panels are 2 by 2 there will be just over 83 pounds pushing up on the panel.

Just my luck i missed the maiden voyage so no pics..but i can get some from its second journey when the weather clears

The glass on the bottom is 3/8 inch lexan and has no leaks...although he did have 3 tiny leaks elsewhere they have since been located and corrected...Bob has built this boat many times without the windows in the bottom (he calls them a "Strong Back Boat"...some are used regularly on the River but some end up in museums for display purposes and never see a drop of water after their initial maiden voyages...they are rated (by him ) for 3 adults (so roughly 600 pounds) and can accommadate maximum 6 HP on the back...Bob is one of the key members of the Propeller Club that is responsible for the restoration of the Chantry Island Restoration Projects and is responsible for the rebuilding of the "Hunter" Replica (lost merchant ship that was discovered buried in the beach sand in Southampton) that is on display in the Grey Bruce Museum..This project with the glass bottom was a shot in the dark for him with uncertainty but being a high school shop teacher in London for his career...he has a tenancy to over think things and due diligence in safety..The first trip was out to Chantry Island without a concern of sharing the "Hunters" fate..

His method of finding the leaks was to fill the boat with water on the trailer while sitting in the laneway..one was at the transom and two were on the port side at the bumper guard...

This boat isnt intended on speed but just leisurely cruising with a different perception of looking out the window...I too think the window frame cross members would be a hindrance to getting it on plane...but i doubt 6 HP would have enough pep to even consider the possibility of such a task

Thanks for the kind words and concerns..ill make sure Bob gets to read this thread

Cheers

Years ago in Tobermory you could rent glass bottom row boats similar in concept to this boat.

Clear water there provided excellent views.

Great project with excellent workmanship.

This boat would be excellent for perch on the inner bay at Long Point weather permitting.