Looking for a place to fish.

wvmedic

I’m looking for a place where the Wife and I can catch some Walleye, Pike and Perch. We would be fishing out of a 16X48 Lowe Big-Jon, looking for some place with the scenery as beautiful as the western arm of Nippissing. I love the western arm, but with all the talk of the declining fishery. I think we would like to try another location, we are not looking for trophies or to keep a bunch of fish, though I would keep a couple to eat. The Wife does not eat fish, she does love to catch them though.

Looking for some place around 500 km from Fort Erie, Ontario or 750 or so miles from Charleston, WV we are looking at taking a weeks’ vacation around August 2013. We just want to start planning, I have to plan things out. I can’t just take off on a whim, drives the Wife crazy when I research everything. I don’t think I’m OCD, just like being prepared.

Thanks for any help.

Jeff

Edited by wvmedic

Yeah, well like I said. I like to plan things out and be prepared :D . I have thought about the Kawartha Lakes, we have never been over that way though. To us the scenery is just as important as the fishing, we love the Canadian Shield all the granite and pines.

We also need a place to tent camp, I forgot to add that.

Jeff

N.A.W I know you can't predict the exact condition of the fishery 11 months from now, just looking for suggestions for someone coming from another country, who enjoys the beauty of your's. I do not like fishing in my state for various reasons, we do have Walleye and in the northern part of the state we have yellow perch. The scenery though can not compare to that of Canada.

Thanks, Jeff

For many anglers I know ( not me I've had no time this year ) this will be a BANNER YEAR on Nipissing for Walleye , no kidding, 30"+ are caught almost daily , and it's just starting , October will be friggin' amazing ..

Reconsider Nipissing for next year ( if it's not closed ) ...

For many anglers I know ( not me I've had no time this year ) this will be a BANNER YEAR on Nipissing for Walleye , no kidding, 30"+ are caught almost daily , and it's just starting , October will be friggin' amazing ..

Reconsider Nipissing for next year ( if it's not closed ) ...

I think you just helped me book a fall trip. wink.gif

The Kawartha Lakes are quite built up, so if you're looking for wilderness scenery, not the place to go. The walleye fishery is not the same as 10 years ago either. August would be tough.

You can check out the Martin River system that is north of Nipissing, Lake Temagami, Bark Lake (search for the one that is close to the town of Barry's Bay). Just a couple to consider to start with.

Rod Caster, thank you.

Randy, thanks. I will keep that in mind, I look hear from time to time checking in on Nippissing. There have been some discouraging posts, I did see the post about possible new restrictions on the Walleye I do not want to get into the politics of that. I live 750 miles away and in another Country at that. I have no real right to say anything inregard to what should or should not happen with the regulations. I just know I love that area and hope the fishery improves and is sustainable for everyone to enjoy, and the reason I have decided to come back and fish Canada as an adult is because of the three species I mentioned, we have Small Mouth and Large Mouth Bass as well as Catfish, Drum and the like. I just am not real interested in fishing for them, so I have to go where the fish live that I prefer to catch.

Jeff

Edited by wvmedic

I thought you were going to offer yours. :lol: :lol:

Nice offer Wayne.

LOL.. depends what his wife looks like Brian! Seriously, if we are up there next summer and can make things work it wouldn't be the first person I took for a charter around the lake either. My vacant land is only a mile from our camp.

I'll second Temagami and I'll even let you camp on my 26 acre parcel of land on the lake, that's really close to good fishing spots (lakers and pickeral)! It's also close enough that you can run the wife to the ppark to sneak a free shower!

I think he's done his homework and will see you in 11 months now Wayne. :clapping:

the OP should JUMP on this offer!!!

I know I regrett missing out on an offer from Wayne this year... :wallbash:

Hi wvmedic

I would recommend Martin river, Lake Wicksteed and Red cedar lake. Martin river has walleye , lake trout ,small mouth bass and pike. Its has a provincial park to camp at. Red Cedar lake and Lake Wicksteed has walleye, small mouth bass and pike. There is only crown land camping on these lakes. All these lakes would be easy to fish with your 14' boat nor matter what the weather is like( lots areas that to get out of the wind). You can get maps on line at www.adventurefishingmaps.on.ca or at the store outside the Martin River provinial park. All these lakes are 1/2 hr drive north of Northbay.

Red Dog

I can't offer specific places, I've done Georgian Bay to Cochrane and anywhere in between in my youth (I'm not that old).

I do produce a tourism magazine for Ontario Tourism. Our 2013 printed issue will be in market by April/May 2013.

If you have an iPad or similar device you can download a FREE app for Ontario Travel and can view our fall and soon our winter version.

I can guide you to ontariotravel.net - here you will find all you will need to know, just pick the area you want to visit or request publications. . . . If you have problems pm me and I'll send you the link.

THIS is not spam! If you have heard of Wil Wegman, we are in the same boat -

Irish is a great source for the Temogami area but I'm sure a lot of other member who live outside of the "city" will be more than helpful.

Hope you make it up and visit us.

A

Wayne that is a gracious offer and I thank you for that, if we decide on Temagami I will hit you up for some tips if you wouldn’t mind.

To everyone who has posted, I really appreciate all of you for your suggestions. I will look into all of them and might over time hit them all.

Just to note I’m not set in concrete about August, I just picked August because we are not picking the boat up till December. So by August we hopefully will have the funds for a fishing vacation.

The boat is a Lowe big-jon 1648, it is 16 foot long with a 70 inch beam and a 15 HP motor. It is going to need some cosmetic work as well as the trailer needing paint and the wood replaced. I hope to have all of that ready to fish over the winter or spring.

Thanks again, Jeff