New Rod

hoby5

I'm assuming you want a jigging rod from your original post. Certainly agree with davey bouy and that you don't need to spend anywhere near that for a decent combo. You can get a really nice combo for $150 to $200 and still have money in the bank for more jigs.

However if you want to spend it all, I'd look at the Shimano Stradics and maybe a Spiel custom rod. Certainly worth a PM to Spiel and see what he can do for you on a rod. From there, see what is left over for the reel. You can still get a nice reel in the $50-$100 range.

for jigging, I say go find the rod and action you want before you decide on the reel.

here's a combo many on here will LOL @ me for but it's a great 'toss it in the boat and not worry about it' rod and reel that I tend to use WAY more than I ever thought I would. A shimano voltaeus 7' Med with a shimano sienna 2500. Light (well to me it is) and has landed more walleye then I have lost with it. Just a thought because a good line and jig's are always needed, grub's too and I buy $100 or more in bulk at a time!

For a decent rod and reel "combo" you should be able to get something for less than $200. (Just basing on what i have in the store here you should be able to get something like a 6'6" Okuma Dead Eye 2pc Med rod and an Okuma Epixor 25b for less than $200 out the door). Take a look around though, if you are looking to spend more then look at the NEW Shimano Clarus Walleye Rods that are coming out. There is a 6'8" MH and 7' Med 2pc coming and should sell for around $125.00, I got to play with them last Sunday and they are a nice rod. Pair one up with a Sedona or Sahara and you will be golden.

Depending where you plan on fishing,and with that kinda budget, get 2 combos.1 for jigging lite jig heads and 1 for jigging heavy jig heads.I fish in some heavy current areas that require a 1.5-2 oz jig head to hit bottom.I use a 6.5' medium heavy baitcaster with an old Abu Ambassadeur5000 reel.Works like a charm.

For lighter jigs, i switch up to a 7' medium Abu Verdict spinning rod with an Abu Orra S reel.I love the sensitivity of this last combo.

You really should consider a one piece rod if you're going to drop that much money. Otherwise, I am not sure if the advantages of the higher priced 2 piece rods outweigh the advantage of a one piece.

My personal preference for rods are St. Croix and G Loomis. New models are coming out from St.Croix for 2013, so it might be possible to pick the older models up at a great price. I'd shop around.

If I were shopping for a walleye jigging rod I would look at:

G Loomis Walleye

WJR752S or WJR752S GLX 6' 3" Fast Action Medium Power

I actually purchased a WJR752S in the summer for a great price. Excellent rod.

St. Croix Legend Tournament Walleye

LTWS63MXF 6'3" X-Fast Action Medium Power

St. Croix Legend Elite

LES63MXF 6'3" M Power X-Fast Action

For two piece rods, I'd probably consider:

St. Croix Legend Tournament Walleye

LTWS66MLF2 6'6" Fast Action Medium-Light Power

St. Croix Avid

AVS66MLF2 6'6" ML Power Fast Action

AVS66MF2 6'6" M Power Fast Action

St. Croix Legend Elite

LES66MLF2 6'6" ML Power Fast Action

LES66MF2 6'6" M Power Fast Action

However, I don't know if I would spend more than $100-130 on a two piece rod.

If you end up lowering your budget, I think the St. Croix Eyecon series is really nice.

St. Croix Eyecon

ECS63MXF 6'3" M Power X-Fast Action One Piece

ECS66MLF2 6'6" ML Power Fast Action Two Piece

Most of my rods are St. Croix Premiers though.

St. Croix Premier

PS66MF2 6'6" M Power Fast Action Two Piece is a good all around rod.

Edited by FishLogic

Walleye are known to be light biters, but not drag peelers.

So what kid of walleye was that I got with you last time when you tossed your big bass back like it was a baby rocky? :whistling:

and if I recall, it was on the combo I mentioned a few post's up... :blink:

Hahaha, ya that was a big walleye, but you got it on a jerk bait, of course the bite was more agressive...OP is looking for a strictly jigging rod. :P

Shh and I know, hence my offer for the 'combo' I happened to be using. :whistling:

And you're welcome, I wanted a picture of that bass, but I was a considerate net man!

:blahblah1: the second you had seen my fish you went all giddy like a school girl... :devil:

Rod manufacturers are slowly drifting farther away from what most northern walleye anglers are looking for, and are catering more to bass anglers (understandably) with heavier rods with faster tips. I use mostly 10+ year old medium power, medium action rods in the 6'6" to 7'6" range for walleye jigging. Have a look at St. Croix Wild River and Fenwick Elitetech Blanks. They'll fit what you want to do.