Drop shotting for smallies?

reelinrolly

Thanks Stoty! appreciate that.

???? What , if you really do not know Google is your friend ??????
If I was at home I would've looked it up but being on lunch and posting from a phone, I figured someone wouldn't mind helping out. Is asking a question no longer allowed?? :dunno: Edited by Gray_Wolf

Thx Stoty, figured that was the case. Ive been using straight mono with no ill effects but noticed that alot of the fish were just there. Certainly feel the biters, even in 25+fow, just not the mushy dead weight fish. Think this fall im gonna ramp up the line abit. Been using those Stringease hooks all summer. Theyre great! Problem with the slammers, and Senkos while we're at it, is that the fish love them too much. Almost have to put them in the monthly budget. They're that good.

Thx Stoty, figured that was the case. Ive been using straight mono with no ill effects but noticed that alot of the fish were just there. Certainly feel the biters, even in 25+fow, just not the mushy dead weight fish. Think this fall im gonna ramp up the line abit. Been using those Stringease hooks all summer. Theyre great! Problem with the slammers, and Senkos while we're at it, is that the fish love them too much. Almost have to put them in the monthly budget. They're that good.

I hear ya!!!! I've placed about 12 orders with Xzone this year! With at least another one coming to stock up for my upcoming events!

Seriously... nothing I've used can even compare to Slammers. My wife even said "wow these slammers work awesome" over the weekend at Bon Echo! :lol:

I use Jackall Crosstail almost always when dropshotting. I do use slammers the odd time as well.

For hooks I love the VMC swivel hooks. Just make sure they have the single swivel, the double swivel ones I am not a fan of and if I have to get them I will cut the small swivel off.

Thanks Stoty! appreciate that.

If I was at home I would've looked it up but being on lunch and posting from a phone, I figured someone wouldn't mind helping out. Is asking a question no longer allowed?? :dunno:

Amazing eh? You ask a question about fishing on a fishing forum and you get that reply... :wallbash:

Ironically, if you google 'drop-shotting' you could get linked back to this thread! :huh:

I mainly river fish and drop shot for smallies. Favorite bait has been gulp shiners 3", and berkley realistic shiners 3". Had great success with both. This year I started using the gulp 4" crawler and they have been fantastic. Hard to say which I prefer. I like to use at least a 7' rod, nothing in particular, but if your budget fishing like me the standard 6'6" will get you by. I find it a bit difficult when you get snagged up when drifting current brakes with a shorter rod. Defiantly floro leader though. I run 10lb power pro main line and 8lb floro lead. i try to keep 12" of floro above the hook.

This year I started using a bit of float gear on the drop shot and its been working out pretty good. I will tie a small barrel swivel to the main line to take up the twist. Slide the the leader through the eye of the hook but don't tie it. I will then slide a small plastic bead, then a bobber stopper, then another plastic bead. Now its time for the pencil lead, or what ever weight you prefer. the bobber stopper allows for height adjustment without having to cut and retie. Every time you hook up the fish will pull the hook down to the lead, so after removing the fish just slide the bobber stopper and the hook back up to where you want it. This also allows the bait to move around a bit more. I've been in some situations where the current or wind was pushing around to much and the hook would be up at the swivel, in this case I added a bead and bobber stopper above the hook as well to hold it in place.

I use a nrx dsr822 and a stella fe. Awesome setup. But costly.

Ya think?! My wife would KILL me!! I know this, I've tried! Lol but yes, absolutely a killer combo!

I run 3 set ups, cause all I do is dropshot for smallies.

6'10 medium xtra fast g loomis GL2, 2500 stradic ci4 8lb trilene 100% flouro, size 1 or 1/0 trokar dropshot hook.

6'10 medium xtra fast backwoods custom rod, stradic ci4 8lb flouro, trokar hook

7'2 medium xtra fast shimano crucial, stradic ci4, 8lb flouro trokar hooks.

Baits, god I have so many, but I typically use jackall crosstail shads, x zone slammers and shiver shads, powerteam lures jp hammer shads and finiky ticklers, and bassmagnet, twitch. All are awesome baits and have accounted for many fish, big fish and several tournament wins.

I don't run braid, no need for it. I don't use a swivel, no need and I don't like the extra knots, line twist is inevitable, but managable. Spool correctly, spray with reel magic, learn to back reel.

Any of you guys use a vexilar on the bow while dropshotting?? Been reading a few things about them on the net

You betcha! great way to stay RIGHT on top of the fish.

Most units (lowrance/humminbird) come with built in flashers, so you dont even have to buy another unit if yours has one!