Notty

Aangler

Interesting :dunno:

Well it's not like these fish are stocked. If you want roe, head down to lake O and grab a big mutant, or go stateside. Taking roe from a wild fish out of GBay is pretty bad. I'm sure you might get some immature skein out of smaller eaters, but a big roe wagon? You've gotta let those girls do their thing.

I'm with Dave J Ban roe period. Virtually all the worst behavior comes from the search for fresh roe. The hackers all suggest alternatives such as raiding other jurisdictions for their roe as acceptable. That's ok but spare the females on their turf or you are a disgusting pig :wallbash: . Really it is about as lame an approach to angling that there is short of trot lining and it is only legal here in Ontario (and not the rest of Canada)because our leadership, at the MNR and private organizations, is so suspect. Clearly allowing anglers to target females of any species of fish, to get bait eggs, is just ridiculous and it astounds me when otherwise decent anglers suggest it is anything but.

I'm with Dave J Ban roe period. Virtually all the worst behavior comes from the search for fresh roe. The hackers all suggest alternatives such as raiding other jurisdictions for their roe as acceptable. That's ok but spare the females on their turf or you are a disgusting pig :wallbash: . Really it is about as lame an approach to angling that there is short of trot lining and it is only legal here in Ontario (and not the rest of Canada)because our leadership, at the MNR and private organizations, is so suspect. Clearly allowing anglers to target females of any species of fish, to get bait eggs, is just ridiculous and it astounds me when otherwise decent anglers suggest it is anything but.

So the eggs I will take from a cleaning station, is ok with you? Do you not think those that throw away eggs is not disgusting as well?

It,s kinda like an oxy moron don,t ya think?

Another question I have is (as an example),I catch a nice clean fish in the river,the meat is eatable,but yet a hen.I know no diference. I keep the fish,and the eggs are left behind for waste,as I am not there for the eggs,but the meat only.

Just yakking here.

I agree with most of Snidleys targetting fish for eggs rants over the years. All my eggs come from fish that are being taken for meat. I spend alot of time scraping and cleaning up skeins that would be otherwise going in the garbage. I'm sure thats not good enough for Snidley though because great lakes salmon are contaminated and not fit for human consumption... :blahblah1: I also don't agree with targeting fish for eggs just because they are "mutant" stockers. Just my 2 cents... :whistling:

Fish and Game rules must take into consideration the entire public not just the ones that modify their behavior so as to minimize the impact of their harvest on their local fish. If it's legal to fish with bait eggs then it will follow that massive damage will be done to harvest those eggs. Be it poachers that slash hens (and being complete j#$k offs some males as well) or be it a bias for keeping females for the table because of the "bonus" eggs, or egg trips to the USA where they use proper management to supply abundance, OR to bag up the refuse eggs that idiots leave behind at the cleaning station for "table salmon". Salmon that are toxic unless under 20 inches but are consumed anyway because they are derby fish or the result of a large expenditure for a charter (and also don't offer even a passing resemblance to a Pacific Chinnook or Coho let alone Steelhead as far as taste in concerned. Bottom line you have to manage for abundance and conserve the resource or it will not do as well as it could. Roe ban is a great start but derby angling must also be either curtailed or, even better, made to pay for heavy stocking to replace the fish, mostly trophy fish, that their little profit center slaughters. Just like lumber companies paying stump-age AND being required to replant what they have logged. Incorporate a salmon/steelhead tag, that you pay extra for and limits ANNUAL catch and you have the beginnings of a managed resource that maximizes the potential of that resource. In other words manage these fish like they do where these fish come from. It is not hard except that leadership interests have to stand up to the roe crowd AND the cash trollers of all stripes.

Bass guys have gone a long way to establish that Bass are for fun not for food, Muskie guys virtually all save the fish at all costs, (even the stocked ones). To manage top of the food chain fish like Steelhead or Salmon you need to pull out all of the tools in the kit or spend massively to really do well and I vote for both but would settle for either one. Currently in Ontario we do neither and this month we get to see the results of the roe crowd and what they spawn first hand on all salmon rivers in Ontario.

Edited by Snidley

Well it's not like these fish are stocked. If you want roe, head down to lake O and grab a big mutant, or go stateside. Taking roe from a wild fish out of GBay is pretty bad. I'm sure you might get some immature skein out of smaller eaters, but a big roe wagon? You've gotta let those girls do their thing.

Better yet, buy them, can't imagine how much roe would one need. Stocked or not they gotta do their thing. That being said I got no problem with guys who do it responsibly and the rightway :thumbsup_anim:

Rumour has it CTV channel 5 Barrie may have a short video on the news at 6 pm this evening.

I'm ready!,remote in hand!lol.Can't remember the young reporting lady from Barrie CTV.She was at a" river" recently asking about mosquito activity. Never saw the episode she was taping for. Was to be aired the same day on the evening news.B)

I can't even imagine dude.. I think I'll stick to bass/pike/walleye for now. Seeing crap like that just gets me pissed off.

I watched someone shank a handsome brown, pushing 10 lbs. It immediately got the double gill grab and was tossed into the dirt. Of course I was the idiot when I mentioned it needed to go back in the water...

I had watched this fish swim past my feet about 2 minutes earlier and thought too bad, you'll never make it past the barbarians upstream.

I watched someone shank a handsome brown, pushing 10 lbs. It immediately got the double gill grab and was tossed into the dirt. Of course I was the idiot when I mentioned it needed to go back in the water...

I had watched this fish swim past my feet about 2 minutes earlier and thought too bad, you'll never make it past the barbarians upstream.

Damn that's unfortunate. I understand it's in their legal right to keep the fish, but why a big brown like that... :wallbash:

The fish did go back, but after the double gill hold it was bleeding badly and certainly went belly up

Even worse than keeping it. What a waste. Personally I won't gill a fish unless I'm certain I'm keeping it. Only if they understood that catch and release only works if the fish is handled with care <_<

Ah...by shank I thought you meant he cut it open. I stand corrected.

Edited by CJR