1st post intro and a bit more

wall i

Read somewhere here where a 1st post intro was suggested as appropriat, so it shall be.....

- grew up in TO a stones throw from the Humber River and the Old Mill bridge. Those were the days (early 60's) before the park was manicured and asphalt tennis courts replaced

the wild grasses which completely concealed my body height (or lack thereof). Also before the days of salmon, trout and when I believed every fish was as ugly as a carp or white sucker

and the lampreys we netted as kids were left to dry out in the sun...a horrid death for a horrid parisite.

- fished the Trent (Percy Reach) during my mid teens when we acquired a cottage there as well as a most wonderful river....Black River I believe its name which, flowed thru a quaint town..Queensboro where a friends family owned a few hundred acres along the shoreline. Incredible bass fishing and I'm sure I caught more then a few +5lbs....one smallie I remember which wouldnt fit length wise in the top freezer compartment of an upright fridge/freezer. I heard a few years after I stopped fishing it in the mid 70's that hydro maipulated the water levels and the particular stretch of river we fished froze solid killing off the fish. It was likely years till it rebounded as a series of rapids divided the river and limited fish mobility.

- my college days found me in Wpg and I was fortunate to grab a guiding job during the summer in Sioux Lookout. Became well acquainted with Lake Minnitaki and the surrounding lakes/bays....wonderful fishing.

- after grad school I became a banker and my 1st "posting" was on Maintoulin Island...splake at the doorstep and wonderful salmon/rainbows in cool/clean Georgian Bay.....

- eventually made my way back to the Peg and close to what many consider some of the best fishing area in the world...NW Ont.

- one of my favorite destinations is Trout Lake and Booi's Camp (north Red Lake) where my son and I do an annual mid August trip:

I dont usually target NP's but my son was insistent this past year so I helped him set up his gear while I chose to remain with my preferred walleye trolling set up which includes 8lb Suffix Elite and a DD perch Husky Jerk. This time of year big eye's and NP's often like to hang out in 20- 35' around points and mouths of bays. When he hit my initial thought was snag but I quickly realized the water was beyong snag depth .... 15 min later and with much luck given the hardware setup, I was admiring a beautiful 46.5" fat NP. The fight was amazing as he tail danced twice and I expected to lose him any second as a hooked NP on leaderless mono is almost a loss guarantee....I got lucky, a great memory and a pic to share and yes after a couple minutes of coaxing, it swam away under its own power

043.jpg

Last year my son landed this amazing PB LT again on a fairly light setup....it came in at 33 lbs. It was caught on a 5" Len Thompson firetiger spoon (this spoon has outfished any other lure

when it comes to LT over the years) 65' over 125'. We haul in a portable rigger every year and average a LT every 15 min...outstanding lake.

055.jpg

Two years.....two generations....two PB's. Doesnt get much better does it.

Cheers all....glad to be part of the forum.

Edited by wall i

Awesome pike! Did you keep it or release it? if latter it's not good for pike to hang with out belly support.

I'm sure she would agree with you...assuming you were referring to her lack of belly support and not mine ..... I'm sure the hook was not all too pleaseant neither. Released her and she swam away under her own sail givin me a good tail splash in protest.

The trout was pretty much toast after the long battle from the depths.....turned out to be an old male.....rounded worn out teeth ... guess I shared somethin in common with him.Thanks 4 the tip..... makes sense.

Edited by wall i

I'm sure she would agree with you...assuming you were referring to her lack of belly support and not mine ..... I'm sure the hook was not all too pleaseant neither.
I was referring to possible organ damage to the fish, something to do with long bodies of pike I'm guessing. harder to survive than a hook. Edited by Gray_Wolf

Welcome aboard.

Nice fish for you and your son! Do you fish the outpost at Booi's or from the lodge?

Main lodge but might as well be outpost in mid August. For the last two years only one other person in camp. Wonderful lodge...A style chalet... three bedrooms..three full bathrooms, dishwasher. Doesnt get better on a fly in.

They offer an August discount...not published that makes it comparable to a peak season drive in.