Scugog Private Property Signs on Lake

ah_long

So I was @ Scugog today and I went down towards the 7A direction from Scugog Island Marina and there's a series of signs that says "private property, no trespassing"

the signs are on the lake itself. What are the legal implications of these signs and anyone know what's going on?

Yeah, its a private duck club. They own the land under the water, and post it once duck/goose season gets close. Season opens thursday for geese, so good luck getting in there after that!!

S.

True and you DON'T want to be there!

So do they own the Land or the Water, this gets brought up every year on 1 of the Forums, glad I don't live close, I'm really ok with being told you can't fish in this publicly owned Water, Lakes or Rivers but that's another story,I guess money really does talk

Tight Lines SBKGonefishing.gif

I think the LAWYERS that run the hunt club may have there way with you if you go in there. They own the land, the land was floded to make the lake, they still own the property lines under the water. they put up signs for two reasons, 1 you don't affect the hunting conditions and 2, you don't get shot

PS Hey ah_long, good to see you out there yesterday! How did you do?

They can't own water... As far as I know...

The way I understood it when I talked to several people in the MNR and OPP...

They can own the land under the water... So if you anchor you are trespassing.... But they cannot stop you from being over their land floating on water....

Again... That's the way it was explained to me on the phone by several employees of the MNR and OPP....

I'm not looking to argue with anyone that thinks I'm wrong...

This is information that took me around 20 phone calls to several different people to obtain... I had a trespassing issue myself and was considering going to the authorities over the harasment I was recieving from a marina owner...

True and you DON'T want to be there!

I think the LAWYERS that run the hunt club may have there way with you if you go in there. They own the land, the land was floded to make the lake, they still own the property lines under the water. they put up signs for two reasons, 1 you don't affect the hunting conditions and 2, you don't get shot

PS Hey ah_long, good to see you out there yesterday! How did you do?

nice meeting someone else on OFC as well.. didn't do too well yesterday and was in a bit of a hurry to leave. My boat is now sold to a buddy of mine so I need to find a new one now.

This has been beat,n like a dead horse for years. It,s total bull,but like said,money talks,and their money stinks like :asshat: . I would love to see about a hundred water fowlers with boat blinds,line up on the the so called line, on opener.On the line,not passed it,with a camera crew. Your not breaking any laws. I,ll bet,you would catch them,when they harrasse you.

They can't own water... As far as I know...

The way I understood it when I talked to several people in the MNR and OPP...

They can own the land under the water... So if you anchor you are trespassing.... But they cannot stop you from being over their land floating on water....

Again... That's the way it was explained to me on the phone by several employees of the MNR and OPP....

I'm not looking to argue with anyone that thinks I'm wrong...

This is information that took me around 20 phone calls to several different people to obtain... I had a trespassing issue myself and was considering going to the authorities over the harasment I was recieving from a marina owner...

This place is exempt from all those rules. It has been going on there for many, many years. They call it the millionaires club. They are pretty arrogant in my experience with anyone in there. I have hunted close to thier boundary, and they tried to kick me out of there too. I told them to stuff it, and they weren't at all happy with me LOL. They even went as far as picking up my decoys.....then I really lost it! Once I put the cell phone to my ear, they backed down pretty quick!!

S.

next time up there go into the clubhouse hint(next little un marked road/allowance just past causeway bait) drive down through the field and see the operation and inside there are pictures of past presidents and world leaders really cool stuff. people pay huge i mean really huge dollars to shoot in there

i

I think I might have to stop in there then. My uncle own's the chip truck at 7A and Island lake Rd. Rick's a 'good ol boy' and if you bring some fresh fish to the truck he'll cook it for ya, as long as ya share...

they are all clearly marked " baited area not hunting"

mnr knows all about them they have been doing this for as long as i have had a cottage on scugog 37 years and counting

LOL

Guess they are on the take. Money talks,and their bull :asshat: walk.

If the MNR knows,I guess alls well. :wallbash:

REALLY,,,,,,,,,,,,Nice to know. Do you know where these BAITED areas are? Might be of interest, to the MNR.

Baiting is OK as long as you hunt away from the bait the legal distance. The MNR actually baits at the Long Point Waterfowl Management Unit to hold birds in the area longer and all the blinds you rent from the ministry are the legal distance. Lot of the large private marshes do it as well, just have to have enough land to keep far enough away with the blinds.

Fascinating historical reading! Well written, I almost felt as if I was there at the time.

Bottom line is that it's private property no matter how desirable it may be to encroach upon it.

Not unlike the old Longford (Morrison) situation.

Michael