fish on the grill

rob v

looking to do some rainbow on the grill. Anyone have any good ideas they 'd like to share ? I was thinking of trying the cedar plank thing - but I've never done it before - are they any tricks to doing it right ? thanks for all the input

I do rainbow alot on the BBQ (tonight too actually), skin side down, salt and lots of fresh ground pepper is all I do, I like to over-cooked my trout and salmon (except sockeye) on the BBQ, it seems to make it tastier and it doesn't burn or dry out because of all the natural oil

I usually foil it, whole or otherwise. A piece of sage or two inside the belly along with coarse sea salt and butter. Butter and salt on top as well then seal it up and throw her on the grill. Veg of choice have a bath in the juices from the butter and trout.

Edited by woodenboater

As for the cedar planking, you let it soak for I think a few hours... put er in the BBQ at a low temperature, put your desired seasoning/herbs/spices on, then slap those ol filets on that there plank. Close the lid, and check it every so often until it's finished. Delicious.

If it's a filet, skin-sidie down, top with whatever you like. Try BBQ sauce if you haven't - it's quite nice. I often load my trout with dill, too. It's pretty versatile, though.

If it's a whole, cleaned fish crank the temp to max, three minutes or so, flip it, another 3 minutes, done. Again, season how you like, or not at all, it's delicious either way.

If it's a filet, skin-sidie down, top with whatever you like. Try BBQ sauce if you haven't - it's quite nice. I often load my trout with dill, too. It's pretty versatile, though.

If it's a whole, cleaned fish crank the temp to max, three minutes or so, flip it, another 3 minutes, done. Again, season how you like, or not at all, it's delicious either way.

If you do that, wouldn't the fish 'fall apart' and go through the grill?

Sorry if it's a stupid question, I'm only 16 (learning to cook).

Matt.

Edited by northernpike56

If you do that, wouldn't the fish 'fall apart' and go through the grill?

Sorry if it's a stupid question, I'm only 16 (learning to cook).

Matt.

If you're worried about that, you can coat it with oil so it won't stick. Flip it only once, carefully, and don't screw around with it. I've not lost anything but a little skin on the grill, when it comes to trout.

looking to do some rainbow on the grill. Anyone have any good ideas they 'd like to share ? I was thinking of trying the cedar plank thing - but I've never done it before - are they any tricks to doing it right ? thanks for all the input

I started doing the cedar plank thing quite a bit this summer. Depending on the thickness of the plank you buy, you will need to soak the plank from anywhere from 2 to 4 hours for best results. I usually cook a whole filet salmon but a trout filet will work just as well, as follows:

1. Preheat your grill to about 400•C

2. Take your filet and season it to your liking.

3. Put your filet on your soaked cedar plank.

4. Put your plank with your filet on it, directly on the grill over the burners and close the lid. I usually keep the grill between 350 to 400 degrees for the duration of the cooking.

If you have a meat thermometer, take the filet off when it reaches 135 to 145 degrees (usually takes about 20 minutes for a salmon filet that is is 1" thick at its thickest point) and let it rest rented under some foil around 10 minutes before you serve it.

Also, keep a spray bottle handy for flare ups as they are almost unavoidable no matter how well your plank is soaked.

Hope this helped!

Matt

Fillets I marinate in italian dressing over night, slap them on a hot grill skin side down, and don't open the lid for 15 mins. They should be pretty much done then.

Smaller fish, 1-3lbs, I do whole. Same deal. Gut them, marinate, and put on a hot grill. A whole fish might take a little longer, but they always taste better!

I usually put a whole fish on the top rack, and put a sheet of tinfoil under them to catch the oil, and prevent flare ups.

S.

Edited by Sinker

Stuff the body cavity with lemon, onion, peppers, and some peppers. Soak two or three sheets of newspaper, then wrap the fish in the wet newspaper. Put directly on grill and cook until the paper starts to singe/turn brown. When you un-wrap the fish, the skin should stick to the newspaper, leaving the flesh exposed.

Also had good success with steaks or filets by using a foil pan - line the bottom with sliced onion and lemon wedges. Place steaks or filets on the bed of lemon and onions. Bbq for approximately 15 mins. If you are doing filets, skin side should be facing up!

I have never done the cedar plank so i will not comment. However, when i grill a rich tasting fish like salmon/trout i usually season with salt/pepper and olive oil and simply cook it. I like using a vinaigrette as a sauce. The acidity cuts the fattiness of the trout nicely.

If you google "lemon vinaigrette". you will get a ton of recipes. Just add some fresh herbs (parsley, chive,tarragon, or dill) and some capers and you're good to go. Also, I always use the zest of any citrus as it gives a ton of flavour.

We bbq'ed pickerel last weekend... yep... pickerel.

Slice lemons and a large onion. Alternate laying them on the grill, make sure they touching each other so there are no spaces.

Lay the fish on the bed of lemon/onion, and season it with whatever you want.

...a little dab of butter on top won't hurt either. Close the lid and let it cook.

The fish really absorbed the flavours.

It would easily work with a trout filet.

Slice lemons and a large onion. Alternate laying them on the grill, make sure they touching each other so there are no spaces.

...a little dab of butter on top won't hurt either. Close the lid and let it cook.

Do you put the lemon and onion on a hot or cold grill? I love this very innovative idea! clapping.gif

When I ate fresh trout,I would brine it,then do as said,skin down. I wouldnt cook it over heat. Indirect heat.I would sprinkle it with brown sugar. Cooks it real nice,and I liked mine real dry. I did the same with herring (minus the sugar) I would coat it with fresh ground pepper. Awesome eats.

When I ate fresh trout,I would brine it,then do as said,skin down. I wouldnt cook it over heat. Indirect heat.I would sprinkle it with brown sugar. Cooks it real nice,and I liked mine real dry. I did the same with herring (minus the sugar) I would coat it with fresh ground pepper. Awesome eats.

Hmmm......I have some fresh caught herring from down home I brought back with me last week. Might have to try that on the bbq! I'm not a big fan of herring, but when they come up on your cod jigger, you kinda have to keep them :thumbsup_anim:

S.

Hmmm......I have some fresh caught herring from down home I brought back with me last week. Might have to try that on the bbq! I'm not a big fan of herring, but when they come up on your cod jigger, you kinda have to keep them :thumbsup_anim:

S.

You bugger you. Mouths a watering now.

Good to hear ya got back home for a bit Shane. :thumbsup_anim::canadian:

I'm assuming no skin on the pic filets?