Whitemans Creek Report

huntervasili

Well I was scared half to death because the creek I was going to be fishing got 15 mm of rain and when it muddies up it is unfishable for at least 5 days... We decided to meake the trip anyway and altough no monsters were landed we did have a good time on the water. We fished 3 main streches of the creek, one part near the mouth (no fish and peopel we talked to only caught little 4" bows) so after a little while there we deicded to head up to the next strech, being apps mill. We did have more luck there catching several browns and bows, all small but fun, particularily on a 3 wt with 1.8lb tippet. We had a couple of break offs with bigger fish but thats not a problem as we had a good time on the river anyway... My SAGE is no longer a virgin rod!!! here are some pics we took of fish and other things along the river... (oops I forgot to black out the background 8| )

So this is the second strech of river we fished.... We caught and saw several little bows caught here

Bridge.jpg

These are some pics of the trout we photographed... all were fairly close in size and many tiny 4" parr in there.

bownet.jpg

littlebow.jpg

Bow.jpg

Then this beatifully coloured Brown.

Brown.jpg

And of course me with another brown

Meandbrown.jpg

Another Part of the river... I really like the freestone rivers... Mud is a PITA

Scenery.jpg

And one last pic of what i figure is a lamprey baby which must have come from a steelhead or spawned from a lamprey hitching a ride from the steelie...

lamprey.jpg

Most of the Steel is out of the rivers and of all the people I spoke to(15 or so) only one had caught a decent sized fish... Most fish were caught On PT nymphs, Prince Nymphs or like... later some 16-22 bwo's started coming off and we got some bites and fish using 22-18 BWO's and some grey/white hendricksons... as well there were some green caddis pupas... I saw a few #14's and a 18-20, as wella s a couple small (#14) Black stones...Hope this helps anyone who wants to try the river.... I am by no means secretive and if you have any questions please feel free to ask them, I may not be able to help but maybe I will...

Hope you enjoyed the report

Bill

ill bet naming the creek on the net will really help with the resident trout population...

that particular creek use to be good 5-6 years ago but now its just packed with all kinds of small fish due to everyone keeping the larger ones. also alot of people using worms even though it says right on the signs "no live bait allowed"

the sad part is ive even seen people keeping little 4-5" trout :rolleyes:

Well its unfortunate but, making sure you tell people the regs is important.. its also single barbless hooks in tehre and i saw mepps spinners with trebles everywhere... I do not mind sharing info though... Its a great fishery and the more people that know the better... it can eventually lead to more economic growth in the fishing sector which in turn could lead to more MNR workers... I believe this thread is not out of line so please do not criticize me, or my discretion... Mods if you have a problem please PM me as I will take no offence, and make any changes in the post necessary only reason I posted was because I was under the impression that doing this sort of stuff is ok...I was just relaying info on where some fish are and how to LEGALLY catch them, including the days hatches. Everything was Caught and promptly released for those of you who were wondering...

any spinners with single hools replacing trebles... So mepps/similar spinner, #0, #1 or so with silver gold blade works the best for me... Try all sorts of stuff, might find a gret one you never would have thought of... The Gand itself also has a great fishery, might be worth your time to check it out...

Great report enjoyed reading every mintue. The fish aren't to big but the coulors are what makes them stand out. Heard alot of good things about whiteman's creek. Personally I have never fished it but I hear it can be very crowded once the trout season opens. I don't think it's wrong naming big river's and creeks on the net anyways. Like Bronte and the Credit are big rivers and creeks but you really do have to do some walking to find the fish.

Whitemans isnt particularily large... as well it doenst tend to be as overcrowded as inner city creeks and rivers are... I enjoy it and we did a pile fo walking from access poin to access point... I was really happy bout the dry fly action, and of course the hatches of BWO's

lol i guess naming the creek and posting those pics will only help whitemans as it will show people that its only fulll of small fish :thumbsup_anim:

i believe the following rules are in place for whitemans in the burford/brantford area:

-single barbless hook

-no live bait

-limit of 1, 20" fish per day

its a shame that such a great little creek now has very few resident fish over 6". i think part of the problem, like many other areas, is lack of enforcement. i am 21 and to this day, i have never seen a single CO while hunting or fishing in this area checking licenses and such. sad really...

if i were a CO id write a few tickets per day around here. if you guys saw what people do on the grand you'd be disgusted.

I agree with you on the enforcement part... and you are correct with the rules, but some parts are a no kill zone C&R only

I have seen what people do on the grand as well, it is a shame but there are still some big fish in the grand and in whitemans

Wow!! great pictures! I like the shots of the water bridge background combo. Those fish are alright by me, I fly fish and allot of times thats what I get. even chubs make good fun. Also nice to see you are a great conservationist. Well done posts.

ch312

-single barbless hook

-no live bait

-limit of 1, 20" fish per day

It is artificial lures only - this means no ORGANIC bait.

=============================================

Talk and talk and talk.

We all know that there is a lot of illegal fishing out there. The people who fish illegally know that they are doing it. Educating them will not work.

The rate of illegal fishing is going up and up at a higher rate than the decrease of illegal fishing via education and whatever. And talking is not doing anything.

The first time a poacher can plead ignorance and be let go with no fines. Can anyone explain to me why the same person can be plead "ignorance" the second time and we accept it?

carp-starter

Carp-Starter, I agree with ya 100% there are too many roe drifters,and worm users in non-organic waters... I wanna make a correction to what you said... usually it is not a first time poacher who can be let off on ignorance, but rather first time caught poaching... I cant stand em and will kick their roe in the water to give the fish a free meal, and leave the poachers baitless...

Nice job Bill. I would have taken some small ones!

I got the skunkaroo, as did most others fishing where I was, but I was ecstatic to be out chucking flies nevertheless.

cheers

suds

Edited by suds

Hey... flingin' flies is the fun, fish are a bonus... Plus the scenery... it makes a great day none the less... I was out from about 6 until about 6pm, so fish obviously wasnt too much in abundance but we stayed because it was an awesome day to be out

Great report. I often get those smaller resident fish by accident while I'm steelheading. Fishing for those little trout looks like a blast...Especially on the dry fly. Looks like something I may want to try my hand at in the future. It'll be a whole new experience using those ultra-lite fly rods rods (5wt and less). I thought my 8wts were light (at least for what I normally use them for).

That is one gorgeous brown.