Lures for carp?

hotsky

I was just on Mepps website and noticed in their lure selection guide for Carp they have lures like Syclops and Aglia Long among others.

Can you actually catch them on lures? I've caught a nice Bullhead catfish on a Syclops #3 before, but carp?? :glare:

Bouncing tiny panther martins is my prime winter tactic for carp, for sure. Thats the only time lures are really all that productive for them though in my experience. I do get them fairly regularly in the backyard all season on rebel crickhoppers and bumblebees. Gotta slow drag em on the surface. Works equally as effective for browns.

I do get them fairly regularly in the backyard all season on rebel crickhoppers and bumblebees. Gotta slow drag em on the surface. Works equally as effective for browns.

you get browns in your backyard ?! Do you live in paradise ?! LOL

In the last 2 years I have caught Carp on spinners, J-9's, Shad Rap RS #4, and Kwikfish K8. Not in any way a productive method and for a lure maker to call it one is close to fraudulent false advertizing. Par for the course in fishing tackle sales though.

Flies as in flyfishing? I don't do that...yet.

Bouncing tiny panther martins is my prime winter tactic for carp, for sure. Thats the only time lures are really all that productive for them though in my experience. I do get them fairly regularly in the backyard all season on rebel crickhoppers and bumblebees. Gotta slow drag em on the surface.
Picked up the 2 mentioned Rebel lures, grasshopper is 'popper' type and bumblebug is a crankbait type. How do you work the popper?

One thing I noticed is that they are built kinda light with tiny hooks, great for penfish and bass but can they handle a carp? :/

My former son in law, one of my best friends, and I got 3 of them in one day fishing tubes for smallies in Sandusky Bay off of Lake Erie. The total weight for the 3 of them was easily 100 pounds, all were hooked legally in their mouths.

Is it the best way to go about it? Probably not, but we have also caught them on other lures too. I have also caught catfish on jigs and pig, plastic worms, and jigging blade baits or jigging Rapalas.

Open water carp love jerkbaits and other body baits. They will eat a tube or and other plastic in a heart beat. Gets your heart pounding when you set on one of those monsters as a big smallie smashes jerkbaits the same.

By open water I mean off shore fish, deeper big water.

you get browns in your backyard ?! Do you live in paradise ?! LOL

Me and a pair of hedge clippers made it paradise. Lol. The brown fishing comes in spurts but theres a mini pond back there thats always good for carp ;)

Flies as in flyfishing? I don't do that...yet.

Picked up the 2 mentioned Rebel lures, grasshopper is 'popper' type and bumblebug is a crankbait type. How do you work the popper?

One thing I noticed is that they are built kinda light with tiny hooks, great for penfish and bass but can they handle a carp? :/

If your drag is set right they will handle a carp and give you the fight of your life. Keep it rather loose and dont set the hook too hard. They have soft mouths and the smaller hooks actually hook em better, in treble form. Just gotta take it easy on the fight.

The crickhopper is a crankbait just like the bumblebug. It has a bill to make it dive. It doesnt dive much below the surface... Just reel it very slowly. Killer on all sorts of fish.

LOL do you go scuba diving for the dead fish afterwards ? ;)

No need - strong cord tied to the arrow lets you hand-bomb them into the boat. I hear they make spectacular fertilizer.

Crickhopper isn't a popper, so much as a shallow-running mini bait. Fish the same as the Bumblebug, just cast out and reel in. The little hooks are fine, they handle coho and steelhead no problem.

Interesting thread. I've caught carp on jigs, but if I ever wanted to catch one on purpose I'd use bait, not hardware.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie