Blue walleye from today

Rod Caster

Tired another new-to-me, small lake today and caught another mid-day walleye! Barely under 43cms. I'm loving these tea-stained lakes for daytime walleye fishing.

The belly was bright yellow, the fins orange and when I got it home, it was staining everything blue. This is the bluest (word?) walleye I've caught so far. Thought it was very cool.

100_0147.jpg

100_0151-1.jpg

nothing like finding a new lake that produces, congrats. Them blue ones are neat - we caught a couple up in Gowganda. A beauty barely under 16.929133858286 inch walleye (sorry, us old timers have to go find an online conversion tool to figure it outlaugh.gif )

so - did you catch a sunburn too?

nothing like finding a new lake that produces, congrats. Them blue ones are neat - we caught a couple up in Gowganda. A beauty barely under 16.929133858286 inch walleye (sorry, us old timers have to go find an online conversion tool to figure it outlaugh.gif )

so - did you catch a sunburn too?

Haha, its easier not working with fractions. No sunburn... Actually wore a longsleeve most of the day...

Regional means from only 1 area.......they were called "Blue Pike" here in the Buffalo area.....so that name stretched from the east to all the way to west end of Lake Erie....that's over 200 miles I believe and covers 4 states....that would be much more then regional.

Bob

In the recent lake nipissing post it was mentioned that the current population of walleye are based on stocking efforts; that originally nipissing had blue walleye. Nnow, I'm guessing that the original "blue walleye" in nipissing was not the same as the lake Erie extinct population, but it still suggests a real and identifyable difference between the current blues and the yellows

As stated before the blue fish being caught now are a regular walleye (Sander vitreus, formerly Stizostedion vitreum). The fact that the colour comes off on towels and the snow would be a key point.

http://www.ontariooutofdoors.com/fishing/walleye/?ID=86&a=read

And even if the skin/scales were a different colour that alone does not mean it is a different species. The grey and black squirrels most of us are used to seeing are all grey squirrels.

Regional means from only 1 area.......they were called "Blue Pike" here in the Buffalo area.....so that name stretched from the east to all the way to west end of Lake Erie....that's over 200 miles I believe and covers 4 states....that would be much more then regional.

Bob

But when you crossed the Peace Bridge they were called Blue Pickeral :wallbash:

there are still blue walleye that exist.... the Albany River system has them.... if you do catch them they have to be released though. They are very cool to catch and see.

They were never ever native there. :whistling:

As stated before the blue fish being caught now are a regular walleye (Sander vitreus, formerly Stizostedion vitreum). The fact that the colour comes off on towels and the snow would be a key point.

And even if the skin/scales were a different colour that alone does not mean it is a different species. The grey and black squirrels most of us are used to seeing are all grey squirrels.

What do you make of the claim that nipissing used to have blue walleye before the population crashed and was stocked?

Is this just mis-information?

What do you make of the claim that nipissing used to have blue walleye before the population crashed and was stocked?

Is this just mis-information?

I've only heard that on this site. That doesn't mean it's not the case, I just haven't seen it elsewhere. :dunno:

Blue Pike (see Lake Erie) are all extinct......have been since the 50's I believe...

Strange ... last summer my buddy told me his friend caught a blue coloured pike , and asked me if i had ever seen one before ... ( no ) . Next time i was at the fishing shop , i asked about it but anybody had seen one before ... ( no ) .

I was told of blue looking walleye .

I,m going to ask him were that was again . Could have been a fluke of nature ... or ... might not be extinct after all .

Caught a few of those blue slime eyes up on the Moose River back in the northern days... I believe it was Pyzer who wrote about the slime actually being "bacteria" related but, that this bacteria is an occassionally occuring harmless flora to the fish itself.

Tasted like blueberries to me.

As stated before the blue fish being caught now are a regular walleye.

And even if the skin/scales were a different colour that alone does not mean it is a different species.

The above link provided shows what a scientist discovered.

It seems that a certain protein usually excreted through urine is released through the skin causing the blueish colouration. It is a regular walleye with this feature. Helps to do the little extra reading.