Ideal jigging rod

Hooked

Jigging is one technique I have not done enough of. I am going to try it more often when I go on vacation to Rice Lake coming up. What is your ideal rod and line you like to use for jigging in the weeds for walleye? ie. length, power, action, braid\mono\copoly\flouro.

I picked up a G Loomis Walleye rod (WJR 751S) on clearance earlier this year and it performed beyond my expectations. It's a one piece 6'3" extra fast rod. Several companies make similar rods and I was originally going to pick up a similar St.Croix Eyecon rod (ECS63MXF) but came across the other one at 50% off, so I had to buy it. I use 20lb spectra braid with it.

edit: I just noticed you said IN THE WEEDS. I put together a setup to "rip the weeds" with bucktails on Rice a couple of years ago. It's basically a "pike" rod as well. It's a 2 piece MH Rapala TS2 rod with an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5500 spooled with 65lb test PowerPro. I think a shorter stiffer rod (5'6" to 6'3") is better for this technique but comes down to personal preference in the end.

I like short Medium power, fast action rods (6'6" or shorter). I'd say the Fenwick Elitech rods are definitely the best blanks in their price range.

I always pair it with a shimano sahara/saros, and use 8 lb braid. I love the ultra thin braid.

6'3 medium light xfast. for heavier jigs and weeds the medium might be a better option.

St croix legend tournament or avid series are a great choice. braided line.

I second the st croix. Picked one up and paired it with a Stradic c14 Great for vertical jigging and rip jigging

Jigging for walleyes and or crappies is my kind of fishing....been doing it for over 30 years....and I have to say I'm pretty good at it.

What kind of rod is the question......

But what kind of jigging should be the question...

I like using VERY light jigs for both walleyes and crappies.......so this is what determines the rod used.....

For walleyes I use 1/8 to SOMETIMES 1/4 oz jigs.....mostly all black bucktail jigs that I make myself.....

For crappies I use 1/64 SOMETIMES but mostly 1/32oz and SOMETIMES 1/16oz jigs.....many I tie myself.......

With that said I like a LIGHT 6.5' rod and MOSTLY 4# test line....SOMETIMES 6# test line for walleyes....but again mostly 4# test line......

Here is the rod I like to use....(use to make my own but now it's cheaper to just buy one).....

The model # GS662 (6'-6") LIGHT rod for 2-8# TEST....

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=738725&categoryId=0&parentCategoryId=0&subCategoryId=0&indexId=0&productVariantId=1292758&quantity=1&itemGUID=&WTz_l=Header%253BSearch-All+Products&destination=/user/wishlist.jsp

There is NOTHING like twitching a 1/8oz black jig to simulate a bug on the bottom and feel just a twing on the line...then setting the hook and knowing you just connected into another nice walleye dinner... :) ...doing it this way is the best way to fight a fish....it's like it was tied onto to your line with no other weight whatsoever....

BTW.....this does catch a LOT of them damn smallmouth bass.... :wallbash:

Bob

I use to different rods to do that, and really wouldn't want to use either to do the other. :dunno:

Yupper huge difference between rip jigging weeds, and, vertical jigging. Definitely want two different set-ups to be most effective. No less than a medium for ripping, medium-light for vertical. Some good suggestions on here already for both.

A 6' Spiel master piece 1 piece rod, 8LB test mono. Jig weight depends on speed of drift, clarity and depth of the water. I've also went with a plain hook and bead 4 lb test, micro swivel and small piece of lead wire above the swivel. Pencil lead if you can find thin, lead soldier works. Squeeze the tip of the lead wire and make a small hole with a awl were you pinched the wire.

Should I say bait, Worm or leech, or Drop Shot Chomper worms best on the market if your going plastic to beat the Pan fish robing your bait.

Edited by Fish Farmer

if you're cheap (like me), browse the rods at Can Tire, Wallymart, or wherever, look for a thin but stiff tip, "noodley" is no good,

I originally put powerpro on my jigging rod because I thought it might reduce pike bite-offs, I keep powerpro on my jigging rod because it's waaaay more sensitive than mono

Ok since you put Rice lake in the post I will assume you'll be jigging weed lines and most likely be in that 8-14 ft of water that these edges occur in. For that depth I prefer a 6-3 or 6-6 rod. Mine right now are BPS Extreme and St Croix Mojo. Bucktails rule on rice followed by thin plastic minnows like Gulp and swim baits types. I also throw a lot of Power worms in 4" on rice for walleye. Black and blue and pumpkin/chart work well. I probably wouldn't be jigging though without using braid as main line. A small brass 3/16 worm weight on the 4"worm turns more walleye for me