Bears

Flappn

Spring bear hunt is the solution to bear population control. Nothing will happen on that front until someone in a city gets mauled or killed. Cidiots tend to feel that if you live north of highway 7 and a bear kills you its because you are on its turf. A bear meanders into oakville and the swat team is called in. That happens up north and the answer is light a firecracker and scare it away. Seriously shake your head. When a bear kills a human they don't die from the initial attack. They are eaten piece by piece, until they bleed to death. Awake the entire time. A bear will rarely in an attack kill instantly. Every occourance I have heard about the person is partially mutilated with limbs chewed off, face, arms and legs eaten and digested while they are attatched to the person as they are awake and lucid. Skin, flesh and organs ripped from the bone. Sorry for being so visual but its the truth. Throw a firecracker at a returning nuisance bear? Not by me. Unless its attatched to the end of a 180 grain 30-06 bullet. Now this isn't to say that attacks happen allot, as we all know this is not the case. I can tell you this without any uncertainty that when it does happen its not something you want to be around, have happen to or even hear the details.

A bear that associates food with humans is a bear that needs to be harvested. They can't be relocated as they will return for several hundred km's. This was proven by the MnR with algonquin park nuisance bears. Putting it down is the only safe answer here.

Just my opinion of course.

Edited by jedimaster

And in case anyone thinks I am kidding or stretching the truth. Don't forget what happened in 2010...

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/813758--mauling-victim-gives-chilling-account-of-bear-attack

But the bear eventually got them.

“Then he started eating my flesh.”

Marois said he watched as the bear started eating into his right calf.

“He was eating my meat and he was licking the blood and licking himself and just enjoying every bite of it.

Marois suffered his worst injuries to his legs, which required a skin graft to repair. They look torn apart and scrawny when he lifts up his hospital gown.

“He ate my whole calf.”

Marois says he made at least 10 attempts to climb away from the bear and it kept coming after him.

“I was trying to get away from him in every direction that I could in that oak tree, but he kept on dragging me down; he wanted me down on the ground.”

Edited by jedimaster

Well here's a simple answer. For many years there was a spring bear hunt, this kept the numbers in check and still left enough bears for the amount of forage food they could find in the "northern" wilderness. As a result of the spring bear hunt cancellation, the numbers of bears have increased but the food source has not. If you're a bear and hungry, you start traveling, unfortunately southwards. Seeing as how you're from Burlington, a little further south, they have not gone that far..yet. Wait until they learn how to use the bus and drop by your place...for a snack or two.

Perhaps, but it also gave the animal rights people a tearjerking cause to take to the public. When bears are hunted in the spring it quite often means that the young are left to fend for themselves before they are quite old enough, and they can starve. They were taking that issue to the public, if I recall correctly, and it was rather easy to win them over. In my opinion (and keep in mind that I'm not a hunter) it was a good idea for sportsmen to cede that part of it in order to keep a hunt at all. But the question I have is this: did the ministry increase the number of bears that can be taken in the fall? As far as I know they didn't, which seems stupid. Count the average number that were taken in the spring and add it to the amount allowable in the fall, problem solved.

The problem with hunting bear in the Fall is they are much fatter and the meat is not as good eating. This puts some people off. As well bear hunting is down on the list of most peoples priority. The Fall Bear hunt overlaps with other seasons that are far more popular, Deer, Moose and Bird hunting. Not as many hunters are willing to go bear hunting as it means they have to give up one of those three. Less hunters, means less bears. It doesn't matter how many tags they assign. And to my understanding there is NO lottery for bear. This means that everyone that wants to hunt bear in the fall can hunt bear in the fall.

As mentioned the problem is not the availability of hunting bear, its the feasibility and the time of year.

I don't know many hunters that hunt for trophy, most if not all hunt for the meat. The best time to encourage bear hunting is two fold.

A> when there are no other hunting oppourtunities

B> When the meat is at its prime tasting

I would rather have 350 pounds of lean Bear in my freezer than 450 pound of fatty bear.

As for Cubs being left alone to die this is also a misnomer as almost everyone that hunts hunts with the the hopes of targetting a male. They are typically about 30% larger than females. If anyone is concerned about stranded cubs, than pass it so that if you shoot a female (sow) with a cub you are also required to harvest the cubs if possible.believe me, a sow with cubs will not be far away.

If you havent noticed by now, I down play bear sightings. I've been living and camping in bear infested woods for over 40 years. I've been face to face with them from 5 feet away. Sure, some common sense and caution is needed, but I've never been afraid of them. In fact I enjoy and look forward to my encounters with them. They are a nusience at best, but nothing that should strike the fear of God into you. I often camp in areas where there is bear scat and tracks all over the road on the drive in. Not to mention the physical sightings. A couple of years ago I saw 7 bears on my drive in, within a half mile of where I was tenting. Didn't phase me at all. Like any other wildlife, I'm just happy to see them and enjoy nature.

I tend to know the odds of getting struck by lightning, and I am not afriad of lightning. I don't walk around with a metal pole on my head during storm, and I also get off the water during a thunderstorm. Its not the average bear to be worried about, but the last time I checked they don't wear special shirts that says what one is safe and what one is not. There was another guy that spent his life learning about bears, studying them and tempting fate with them... Of course all know where he ended up. In the belly of a bear, along with his wife as I recall. I too have seen many bear up close, in the bush and even on my deck in my backyard. I am not afraid of them but I do know that that having a bear inside a populated area, that is associating humans with food, is a bad bad situation.

I tend to know the odds of getting struck by lightning, and I am not afriad of lightning. I don't walk around with a metal pole on my head during storm, and I also get off the water during a thunderstorm. Its not the average bear to be worried about, but the last time I checked they don't wear special shirts that says what one is safe and what one is not. There was another guy that spent his life learning about bears, studying them and tempting fate with them... Of course all know where he ended up. In the belly of a bear, along with his wife as I recall. I too have seen many bear up close, in the bush and even on my deck in my backyard. I am not afraid of them but I do know that that having a bear inside a populated area, that is associating humans with food, is a bad bad situation.

They make it into inner Thunder Bay each and every summer. Because of the hype and fear of bears, they are dispatched by the cops. The MNR is always too slow to respond, so the cops just shoot them. We must have the best police force in the province because nobody has ever been injured by a bear before the cops shot it. :whistling:

On the other hand, the cops fired a shot at a bear in town that went right through a family's kitchen table during supper hour. Luckily there was nobody at the table at the time. Anything to get rid of those mean, nasty, killer bears though. :unsure:

Well, I guess the MNR could of just said "Please Bear With Us".... :rofl2:

I might add, that's no ordinary pun there.

Firstly, it's obviously a play on the words bear/bare.

Also, "Please bear with us" can be interpreted as "Please, let's keep the bear with us,"

or even "Let's please the bear that is with us, [by not shooting it]."

A triple pun, that's gotta be some kind of a record.

If you havent noticed by now, I down play bear sightings. I've been living and camping in bear infested woods for over 40 years. I've been face to face with them from 5 feet away. Sure, some common sense and caution is needed, but I've never been afraid of them. In fact I enjoy and look forward to my encounters with them. They are a nusience at best, but nothing that should strike the fear of God into you. I often camp in areas where there is bear scat and tracks all over the road on the drive in. Not to mention the physical sightings. A couple of years ago I saw 7 bears on my drive in, within a half mile of where I was tenting. Didn't phase me at all. Like any other wildlife, I'm just happy to see them and enjoy nature.

Agreed. People that think black bears are going to run out of the woods and maul their children/dogs are extremely misinformed. Most bears I see are headed the other way in a hurry, it's usually the only ass end I see, lol!

It's about on par with people swimming in the ocean worried they'll be attacked my sharks.

I might add, that's no ordinary pun there.

Firstly, it's obviously a play on the words bear/bare.

Also, "Please bear with us" can be interpreted as "Please, let's keep the bear with us,"

or even "Let's please the bear that is with us, [by not shooting it]."

A triple pun, that's gotta be some kind of a record.

NICE.......I only had the pun 2X.....but I see can get a triple decker out of it....LOL...

I can't believe so many people want to kill the bears because they are increasing in numbers. I personally love seeing them. As DanC said if you have some common sense you will be fine.

I have been 15' away from a bear while Portaging in Kilarney. It was a bit nerve racking as it was only a young one and the mother was probably close, we just gave it the space and when it noticed us it took off. We had our bear spray bottles with us and ready incase but as would happen 95% of the time we were fine.

You have a higher chance of getting mauled by some scum bag for you money in a major city then getting mauled by a bear. I guess some of you folks are worried about the wrong things.

Edited by Live2fish85

Agreed. People that think black bears are going to run out of the woods and maul their children/dogs are extremely misinformed. Most bears I see are headed the other way in a hurry, it's usually the only ass end I see, lol!

It's about on par with people swimming in the ocean worried they'll be attacked my sharks.

In 2006 the wife and I did a out west camping trip......bought a large pop up camper....some call it a tent trailer.......

But anyways......on this trip we camp 4 days in Yellowstone Park.......since we did not have a complete hard shell camper we were restricted on where we were allowed to camp....anywhere where there was bear activity we were not allowed to set up our pop up camper.....AND even in the area we were allowed in, a Park Ranger would constantly walk the campground insuring you did not leave out your cooking stuff, including your coolers and grill.....EVERYTHING had to be put away in your truck when you were finished with your meal.

Yes, bears can be serious and the National Park Service realizes this and they take all the precautions they can. So should you.

I can't believe so many people want to kill the bears because they are increasing in numbers. I personally love seeing them. As DanC said if you have some common sense you will be fine.

Agree with you 100% but it seems like some folks just like to slaughter every animal they encounter.

We've had plenty of encounters around here since I moved in a couple years back. They've been on my front lawn, the driveway another time and in the back yard on several occasions and everyone else on the road has had them too, specially in the early spring.

Their just hungry after a long winters nap and looking for an easy meal but nobodies ever had a serious encounter with them.

Just this morning I watched a show about black bears up in Anchorage Alaska and the darned things are everywhere and wandering around town like lost cats. They claim even up there where folks SHOULD know better they still put the garbage out too early and the bears have a feast. They still don't kill the bears though unless absolutely necessary, they just dart them and haul their butts away although they admitted they normally find their way back.

Agree with you 100% but it seems like some folks just like to slaughter every animal they encounter.

We've had plenty of encounters around here since I moved in a couple years back. They've been on my front lawn, the driveway another time and in the back yard on several occasions and everyone else on the road has had them too, specially in the early spring.

Their just hungry after a long winters nap and looking for an easy meal but nobodies ever had a serious encounter with them.

Just this morning I watched a show about black bears up in Anchorage Alaska and the darned things are everywhere and wandering around town like lost cats. They claim even up there where folks SHOULD know better they still put the garbage out too early and the bears have a feast. They still don't kill the bears though unless absolutely necessary, they just dart them and haul their butts away although they admitted they normally find their way back.

I agree when they are a constant nuisance and come back then they need to be dealt with. Even saying that though it isn't usually the bears that are used to people that attack people. It is the one not used to people and think they are a meal, most times you hear of a camper being mauled it is because they either brought food into a tent or didn't change there clothes after dinner. I remember camping and two kids in a tent got attacked by a bear. People were freaking out and leaving the park. After that they found chocolate bars in the kids tent. The kids didn't die thankfully but there was no bear going after the kids, he was going.for the chocolate bars and the kids probably startled him.

I love seeing bears and any wildlife. Give them respect and they will you.

The problem with bears that has been very very well documented over the years is this.

Bears in the woods doing there thing are not a problem. 99 percent of tthe bear encounters are not a problem.

There are however three situations where bears are a problem.

1) Rogue freak out not wired properly black bears that will stalk humans.

2) a mother and her cub with a human in between.

3) A bear that has associated human pressence with food.

Not all of these will relate into a bad encounter every time. However the chances of being in a a deadly or life threatening encounter in one of these three are greatly increased over the typical encounter of "Hey look a bear walked through our camp sight/driveway/backyard/trailer park and I shouted at it and it ran away."

People have a good amount of control over reducing these like putting there stuff away, however the only real answer is to reduce the bear population to the point where they bears have no need or desire to come out of where they typically live in search of food.

As the bear population increase there home range gets cramped and they spread and encroach on urban areas as far south as Oshawa and Oakville. I have even heard of them being in Rouge River valley.

No one is asking for a mass cull on bears like they were asian carp or round eyed gobies. Population control is something that is not able to be sustained with a fall bear hunt.

I see this as being a two pronged issue.

1) remove the bears that are currently associating humans with food in and around urban areas.

2) bring back the spring bear hunt to encouage more hunters to harvest bears and help control the population to a sustainable level within the areas that they should naturally be.

Make no mistake about it, a bear should not be living in a town or city. A grown adult knows enough to stand up tall and make some noise to scare off a bear. A child will freak out cry and run.

I know all sorts of people that never had an incident with a bear. But I bet my last dollar anyone that has been mauled, attacked or chased by a bear couldn't give a rats ass how many times you or I have seen a bear without incident.

The problem with bears that has been very very well documented over the years is this.

Bears in the woods doing there thing are not a problem. 99 percent of tthe bear encounters are not a problem.

There are however three situations where bears are a problem.

1) Rogue freak out not wired properly black bears that will stalk humans.

2) a mother and her cub with a human in between.

3) A bear that has associated human pressence with food.

Not all of these will relate into a bad encounter every time. However the chances of being in a a deadly or life threatening encounter in one of these three are greatly increased over the typical encounter of "Hey look a bear walked through our camp sight/driveway/backyard/trailer park and I shouted at it and it ran away."

People have a good amount of control over reducing these like putting there stuff away, however the only real answer is to reduce the bear population to the point where they bears have no need or desire to come out of where they typically live in search of food.

As the bear population increase there home range gets cramped and they spread and encroach on urban areas as far south as Oshawa and Oakville. I have even heard of them being in Rouge River valley.

No one is asking for a mass cull on bears like they were asian carp or round eyed gobies. Population control is something that is not able to be sustained with a fall bear hunt.

I see this as being a two pronged issue.

1) remove the bears that are currently associating humans with food in and around urban areas.

2) bring back the spring bear hunt to encouage more hunters to harvest bears and help control the population to a sustainable level within the areas that they should naturally be.

Make no mistake about it, a bear should not be living in a town or city. A grown adult knows enough to stand up tall and make some noise to scare off a bear. A child will freak out cry and run.

I know all sorts of people that never had an incident with a bear. But I bet my last dollar anyone that has been mauled, attacked or chased by a bear couldn't give a rats ass how many times you or I have seen a bear without incident.

I don't agree. Why can't we teach our kids, change our habits toleave garbage all over.

People that live north and have bears all over teach there kids how to respect a bear and what to do. They hardly worry about bears. They are aware and use common sense. I also believe that the attacks you hear about when theres a bear in a town is because some moron freaked out scaring the bear and making them react to what is there nature. Teach the people don't kill the bears.

I don't agree. Why can't we teach our kids, change our habits toleave garbage all over.

Even though I currently live in Toronto. Thats only been for the last few years. You can certainly teach your 5 year old child to not leave the garbage can out at night, not eat in a tent, and not leave out some bird seed. But do you honestly believe that ANY 5 year old child will react properly and be able to fend a bear off should the unthinkable happen? Think about it honestly befor eyou hug a tree and spout something out. Actually think about the situation. Close your eyes and picture yourself in it. If you had or have kids and if/when they were or are 5 years old, how would you think they would react if they were outside in the backyard playing with there friends and a bear walked in between them and the house looking for some food. How would they react?

And how would you react If you were inside your house, and your kids was at the back of your yard and a 600 pound Black bear was inbetween you and him or her?

I highly doubt you would go run for your camera to take a picture of the pleasant and natural encounter.

Edited by jedimaster