Turkey hunter shot

misfish

Man I just could not believe my ears when I heard that this morning on the radio.

Up here in springwater a guy was shot in THE FACE. What the f%^&. Man take the gun away from these people.

Im trying to find the story,if anyone does please post it.

Thanks

People be sure of what you are shooting and handle your weapon with care.

Barrie man may lose an eye after being shot in the face while turkey hunting yesterday.

The 33-year-old man was transported to Royal Victoria Hospital before being taken by ambulance to Sunnybrook hospital in Toronto for possible surgery, his family said yesterday afternoon.

They said the victim, who was using a crossbow when his friend shot him, also sustained shotgun pellet wounds to his other eye as well as his face, head and neck.

Police say his injuries are serious but non-life-threatening.

The accident happened around 3 p.m., in the area of Nursery Road and County Road 22, in Springwater Township, near Anten Mills.

Huronia West OPP continue to investigate.

Ontario Provincial Police – Central Region

Ken Smith 777 Memorial Ave Phone # (705) 329-7400

Chief Superintendent Orillia, Ontario Fax # (705) 329-7425

Media Release

Contact Name: Provincial Constable Mark Kinney – Media Relations Officer Phone (705) 429-3575

25 Apr 07

Hunting Accident

Inc. #OP07099223

On April 25th, 2007 at approximately 3:00 p.m., members of the

Huronia West OPP responded to a hunting accident that occurred in

the area of Nursery Rd and County Road #22 in Springwater Twp.

Upon investigation police discovered that two males were out hunting

turkeys when male shot the other in the face with a shotgun.

A 33-year-old male has been transported to Royal Victoria Hospital in

Barrie with serious but non-life threatening injuries.

This incident is still under investigation by Police and as such no

names will be released at this time.

That should not happen, I took the course 1 year ago, and if you fallow the rules; that you had to demonstrate you understand to pass the test, IT would not happen.

I'd love to hear what the guy that pulled the trigger has to say, for many reasons.

I'll be out there Saturday morning.

Entropy

This happens a lot with turkey hunters that have mastered the art of turkey calling. Sooner or later someone gets convinced thats a turkey and sneaks up on them.

OH BOY THATS A LOADED REPLY THERE.

Question one,did you take the course?

Answer if you didnt,YOU DONT STALK TURKEYS,YOU LET THEM COME TO YOU,AND KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SHOOTING AT.

This could of been a case also of just standing side by side and chatting and the guy with the gun didnt have the safty on.Slip ohoh. :stretcher::stretcher:

It,s this kind of stuff that really piss,s me off when crap like this happens.

I like to hunt alone.

Edited by misfish

Answer if you didnt,YOU DONT STALK TURKEYS,YOU LET THEM COME TO YOU,AND KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SHOOTING AT.

This could of been a case also of just standing side by side and chatting and the guy with the gun didnt have the safty on.Slip ohoh. :stretcher::stretcher:

It,s this kind of stuff that really piss,s me off when crap like this happens.

I like to hunt alone.

I totally agree with you.

I'm almost certian that your told not to use a gobble call, just incase someone is walking around stalking.

Entropy

It's all fun until someone loses an eye.

Seriously though that's pretty scary, I can't think of much worse than loss of eyesight.

I bet at best he will have limited vision for the rest of his life.

I just Googled "Turkey Hunter Shot". You would be amazed at how many times this has happened.

The stories are enough to make you wonder about trips in the woods.

I'm sure most of us remember last fall when a lady was killed in the first week of deer season

while she was out for a walk. Pretty sad.

Hookset.

It's all fun until someone loses an eye.

Seriously though that's pretty scary, I can't think of much worse than loss of eyesight.

I bet at best he will have limited vision for the rest of his life.

I just Googled "Turkey Hunter Shot". You would be amazed at how many times this has happened.

The stories are enough to make you wonder about trips in the woods.

I'm sure most of us remember last fall when a lady was killed in the first week of deer season

while she was out for a walk. Pretty sad.

Hookset.

It is still more likely that you will be struck by lightning than shot turkey hunting.

Even more likely to be involved in a car accident but we all do that.

Hunting still remains one of the safest activities you can partake in.

because you say so? ive shot a turkey every year for the last 6 years and 2 of those birds were stalked. every single one was shot safely...

you guys are so quick to judge the shooter before you even know the full story. for all we know they could have split up and the shooter stalked a bird that just happened to be near the victim. he could have had a good patterning gun and could have been 80 yards away from his buddy when he shot. they dont mention how many pellets he got hit with. injuries to both eyes and face could just mean he got hit with 3 pellets, not plastered. remember, the media always exagerates when it cmoes to hunting accidents to make hunting look very dangerous.

with proper camo its hard to spot a hunter 30 yards away with nothing between each other so its very easy for accidents to happen.

because you say so? ive shot a turkey every year for the last 6 years and 2 of those birds were stalked. every single one was shot safely...

you guys are so quick to judge the shooter before you even know the full story. for all we know they could have split up and the shooter stalked a bird that just happened to be near the victim. he could have had a good patterning gun and could have been 80 yards away from his buddy when he shot. they dont mention how many pellets he got hit with. injuries to both eyes and face could just mean he got hit with 3 pellets, not plastered. remember, the media always exagerates when it cmoes to hunting accidents to make hunting look very dangerous.

with proper camo its hard to spot a hunter 30 yards away with nothing between each other so its very easy for accidents to happen.

Not because I say so,because thats what you/we are taught in the courses.

Are you are to know whats beyond your target aswell.

I dont care if he is wearing invisible camo,know your target and your surroundings.

Like you say,the media does inrich thier reports,but we all know there are no ACCIDENTS in hunting.

As for you stalking and shooting,either your real good or just real lucky you got no quick trigger hunters around you.....................................................

It is still more likely that you will be struck by lightning than shot turkey hunting.

Even more likely to be involved in a car accident but we all do that.

Hunting still remains one of the safest activities you can partake in.

Nobody pulls a trigger on a lightning bolt and my chances of being struck by lightning is as good in my back yard as it is in the woods, so I'm not sure of the relevance

Car accidents ? I've been in one minor accident in 28 years and that fate was in my own hands, not someone else's.

I have the utmost respect for most hunters. The dedication and adherence to safety that they have shown me is second to none. However, to say that hunting is one of the safest activities you can partake in is a HUGE stretch.

Safest activity compared to what ? Soccer ? Photography ? Fishing ?

Hookset.

Man I just could not believe my ears when I heard that this morning on the radio.

Up here in springwater a guy was shot in THE FACE. What the f%^&. Man take the gun away from these people.

Im trying to find the story,if anyone does please post it.

Thanks

People be sure of what you are shooting and handle your weapon with care.

Was Dick Cheney hunting up there?

No I didn't take the coarse, and I know your not supposed to stalk turkey but I got a surprise for you, People do it anyway!

One guy had his back to a big tree and listened to the turkey come from the opposite side, when he figured it was close he swung around the tree and there was his next door neighbor looking down his gun barrel at him.

A group of about 10 was talking one night and came up with 3 similar stories, mind you this was when turkey's were new to us and hopefully they're getting better but some guys won't learn till it happens to them.

It's amazing how some (note some) hunters go into immediate damage control mode when someone is shot. There is no excuse for shooting someone. There are no accidents. Just stupidity. If in doubt, don't take the dangg shot!

Man more amo for the antties <_<<_< .Carelessness is the only reason for this to happen.I don't need to know the rest of the story to figure that out.We as hunters have a duty to put safety above all else.Nothing else realy matters in the big picture.Chances are that in time you will forget about that big gobbler you stalked or called in with a gobble call (both are unsafe practices) but you shoot your buddy and that will haunt you the rest of your life.Lets all please put saftey aboue all else!

No I didn't take the coarse, and I know your not supposed to stalk turkey but I got a surprise for you, People do it anyway!

Nothing surprises me anymore Polli. Dont get your nickers in a knot.

Im sorry if I upset ya. I just get upset when these things happen.

Recived this from a friend.

TO Star

BARRIE, Ont. – A 30-year-old Barrie, Ont. man is charged with careless use of a firearm after his hunting partner was shot in the face.

Police say two men were hunting wild turkeys in Springwater Township north of Barrie Wednesday when a 32-year-old man was shot.

The unidentified hunter is in hospital with serious but non life threatening injuries and police say he could lose an eye.

Police have charged Andre Gaudet.

The incident remains under investigation.

An accident is a detrimental event that occurs unexpectedly and unintentionally!!!!!

This was detrimental in that two or more lives are being affected in a negitive way.

I'm sure that it must have been unexpected not too many people go into the bush expecting to shoot their buddy in the face.

I'll bet the man who got shot wasn't expecting it or he wouldn't have been there.

If the shooter had intended to shoot his partner I would think that he could have done a better job then it would be murder or at least attempted murder.

Accidents do happen, there can be many reasons but they do happen. Trying to point a finger or disect what transpired isn't going to accoplish anything right now, I'll form my opinion when the police have done their job.

My thoughts right now are for both those men because regardless of the outcome they are both going to have to live with this accident for the rest of their lives.

Nobody pulls a trigger on a lightning bolt and my chances of being struck by lightning is as good in my back yard as it is in the woods, so I'm not sure of the relevance

Car accidents ? I've been in one minor accident in 28 years and that fate was in my own hands, not someone else's.

I have the utmost respect for most hunters. The dedication and adherence to safety that they have shown me is second to none. However, to say that hunting is one of the safest activities you can partake in is a HUGE stretch.

Safest activity compared to what ? Soccer ? Photography ? Fishing ?

Hookset.

Try ping pong. I'm serious. I dunno about photography, but it's definitely safer than soccer and fishing.

Accidents can happen with anything. To think a hunter must screw up to get hurt is pretty ignorant. There was a guy in southern Ontario several years ago who got hit with a single buckshot pellet while deer hunting. It went in through his ribs and caused internal bleeding - he never heard the shot. Never knew what happened. It was a stray pellet that travelled over the hills and through the woods (literally) and found its mark. The guy was an abmulance driver or something of that nature and he was able to recognize that he had internal bleeding - it saved his life.

The lady who was killed last year was out of the line of sight as well. The man who shot her was cleared of wrong doing. He also hit the deer he shot at.

Accidents happen. The holier than thou thing needs to be dropped by a few posters.