Good morning on The Grand.

Mike Pike

After watching Henry film a Fins And Skin episode on The Grand River in Brantford, I thought I'd hit the area and try my luck this morning.

Got there right at sun up to find lots of activity on the river. The bass were chasing their prey near the surface and the carp were causing a commotion, as well.

Bass7.jpg

I cast out my trusty Mepps #3 spinner and retrieved it quickly just under the surface, thinking this will do the trick. Nada.

I went to a smaller Vibax and still nothing, while the bass continued jumping and feeding around me.

Switched up to a white Yamamoto grub on a 1/8 ounce jig and began swimming that over the fish, and that was the ticket. Soon I had a lots of these little fellas to keep me busy.

Bass2.jpg

Bass3.jpg

I decided to moved up river a bit and see if I could coax something a little larger into the net. While retrieving the grub over and around rocks and weeds, I thought it had struck bottom. Then the bottom started to move. With the drag peeling, I believed I had a carp on because up until then, the bass I was catching were all pretty small. Well, after it cleared the water, there was no mistaking the hefty Smallie I had on.

After a really good account of itself, I brought it in for a quick photo. Best of the season, so far, with a length of 18-inches.

Bass4.jpg

I was shaking in my waders, as I let the big girl go. I guess I never lose the thrill of catching a biggie in the river.

Bass6.jpg

A darn nice morning and a great way to burn a vacation day!

Bass8.jpg

Edited by Mike Pike

Nice bass and good looking spot!

I'm in hamilton and should make it out to the Grand more often. Only fished there once in Caledonia and didn't like it; way too shallow past the dam and too busy just before it. I need to find a nice quite spot thats not shallow enough to cross without getting your knees wet.

Nice going. There's a surprising amount of nice bass that size in the Grand if you're willing to spend the time. Find some of the bigger holes, or the deep fast water when the levels are down like now, and you can get into a lot of fun. A canoe and an early start are guaranteed to produce before the day is over.

Inspired by this report, after getting skunked and losing my phone in the drink last night, I went out for 2 hours... 6 fish, 2 over 16"... THANKS for the inspiration! LOL

Awesome stuff, Jay. Sounds like you had yourself a pretty rewarding outing, after a clunker the night before!

And thanks for all the comments guys.

I fish the Grand all the time south of Caldonia (but not as far up as the dam). It is an excellent spot for Walleye, Smallies, Sheepies, Pike, Gars and even Moonies. To do well you need a shallow running boat of some sort (I use a Hobie pontoon boat). Up around Bantford or Paris it's also really beautiful but the fish are really scattered so hooking up is sporadic. Below Caldonia and above Dunnville the fish are much more concentrated so the actual fishing is better..

I fish the Grand all the time south of Caldonia (but not as far up as the dam). It is an excellent spot for Walleye, Smallies, Sheepies, Pike, Gars and even Moonies. To do well you need a shallow running boat of some sort (I use a Hobie pontoon boat). Up around Bantford or Paris it's also really beautiful but the fish are really scattered so hooking up is sporadic. Below Caldonia and above Dunnville the fish are much more concentrated so the actual fishing is better..

Wow, that is one sweet ride for the river Snidley. Really gets you over a lot of fish. And gets you away from other fisherman.

I fish what you'd call all the 'popular' spots on the river but I prefer doing it on weekdays when the crowds are gone.

Unlike you, I haven't had a lot of luck with walleye or pike, but sure enjoy all the other species in the river. How about those Mooneye! Fun on light gear. Their silvery colour and fork tails remind me of saltwater Jacks.

Edited by Mike Pike

I learned the Grand from a buddy who grew up beside Simms locks. The walleye's tend to hold in holes that are really just depressions in the river but deeper than the water around them all the same. They are a morning bite as well as temperature sensitive (it's too hot right now). Usually small, shallow running baits are the key to hookups even in the dirty water of the Grand. My best walleye bait is a shallow Shad Rap in pearl with red eyes (sort of a custom paint job I did). I don't fish it but below the Dunnville dam is also a noted walleye spot but you have to share with lots of boaters.