Finally, definitive proof

big guy

Ironic, I was talking to a guy at a family gathering yesterday who has property outside of the Sault and see's them regularly. He is supposed to email me the pictures.

Edited by Harrison

Chris once they have attacked a dog or cat,what's next a baby or small child.It won't end with the dog it will just get more aggressive from what I've heard.

Once they get a taste.... :blahblah1: Sounds like fear-mongering. Yes, cougars are generally fearless (for good reason), but they're also incredibly elusive and avoid getting anywhere near humans.

Regardless, I wouldn't be calling some trigger happy smokies to my house in an instance like this. If they weren't on site when the attack happened, then obviously they tracked the animal down after the fact.

Never mind Jim I found it. So this is no proof at all then unless there is a Dr. Cougar in the woods performing de-clawing! :whistling:

Police shoot cougar after attack on German Shepherd

UTTERSON - Police shot a cougar over the weekend after it viciously attacked a German shepherd in Utterson, leaving it for dead.

Hearing her family dog Indy scream shortly before 10 p.m. on Saturday July 7, Middaugh Road resident Doreen Rick ran outside to find a cougar mauling the pet. The cougar didn’t budge when her grandson’s girlfriend attempted to scare it off.

“She let the air horn off and it didn’t affect it at all,” said Rick. “She screamed because he picked the dog up — and she’s a small white German shepherd — and dragged it across the lawn and just laid on him and chewed on him.”

The vicious attack left the dog clinging to life.

“It chewed on its head and went right down to the skull,” said Rick.

Rick phoned police while the attack was going on, who told her to stay indoors and to keep all windows and doors closed. The cougar then turned its attention to Rick’s other pets.

“It came right up to my screen after seeing my cats sitting in the window and started pacing,” she said. “We closed all our windows, took the cats away and it went back to the dog again.”

Rick said police arrived within minutes and shot the cougar. Even then, the animal did not go down easily.

“It took six shots to actually put it down,” said Rick.

On the morning of Monday, July 9, OPP Const. Maureen Tilson confirmed that officers had shot a cougar over the weekend, and that crews from the Ministry of Natural Resources were also called. The cougar was taken away by ministry crews after the shooting.

Although few other details were disclosed, Tilson said police would release an official statement on the incident later in the day.

Despite the attack, Indy proved more resilient that his attacker.

“The police were standing there, they had shot the cougar … they wanted to know what to do about the dog, and all of a sudden they said ‘oh my god he jumped up,’” said Rick. “He jumped up; he was dazed of course because he was all chewed in his head.”

Indy was taken to a local animal hospital, but in the end was also dispatched.

“We just had him put to sleep, because he was chewed right down to his skull above his ears and his head,” said Rick.

After the attack, Rick said both she and police approached the owner of Guha’s Tigers and Lions, an animal farm in Utterson that features wild cats. Rick was convinced that because the cougar is declawed, it did not come from the facility.

“It’s got nothing to do him with him whatsoever; he said I would not declaw a wild cat like that,” she said. “He said ‘I would never declaw a cat,’ he said that is cruel. He swears that it is not his cat.’”

The incident has left Rick both shocked and stunned. She said she hasn’t even seen a deer in the area for years.

“It wasn’t scared of people and we kept saying, what if there was a kid out there playing and not just a dog? That’s the scary thing,” she said.

Once they get a taste.... :blahblah1: Sounds like fear-mongering. Yes, cougars are generally fearless (for good reason), but they're also incredibly elusive and avoid getting anywhere near humans.

Regardless, I wouldn't be calling some trigger happy smokies to my house in an instance like this. If they weren't on site when the attack happened, then obviously they tracked the animal down after the fact.

Joey:blahblah1:It's about easy food source.Watched many programs about the cat family!. Ha.

UTTERSON - Police shot a cougar over the weekend after it viciously attacked a German shepherd in Utterson, leaving it for dead.

After the attack, Rick said both she and police approached the owner of Guha’s Tigers and Lions, an animal farm in Utterson that features wild cats. Rick was convinced that because the cougar is declawed, it did not come from the facility.

So, this shows that a de-clawed not wild cougar was shot.

Not definitive proof at all.

Edited by ehg

I started hunting when I was 7 years old and in the last 60 years I've I have spent a lot of time in the bush. I can't say that I have ever SEEN a cougar but I can tell you that about a year ago we had something in the yard right next to ours at about 4:30 in the morning.

It was big, it wasn't a wolf, bear, or anything I had ever heard or seen before. I couldn't get a clear look at it because of some trees but the moon was bright enough to see that it was large and the sound it made was unlike anything else I have ever heard in the bush. I am convinced that it was a couger just by the way it was moving.

True story..about 18 years ago...My wife and I both seen a big cat with a long tail cross the road ahead of us in Northwestern Ontario

It was a remote spot near the CP tracks on the way to Lac Seul---does'nt matter who believes us

I knew the head of the trappers council---he said there's lots of cougars in the Temagami North Bay area

Now if I said I seen a Samsquatch----you could raise a brow :whistling: