Long time pro Anglers ...

Skipper D

Thank you every one for your comment , i am just getting home from work and excited to finish up my dinner and get scrubbing while theres still day lte left ... lol . To answer a few of the questions that have been asked i can say this much about the boat and its condition for know , It looks like i purchased it from its third owner which was in the country side south of Wasaga beach , the second owner was John Tompson of Collingwood who purchaced the boat from a numbered company in May of 1992 for the sum of 14,040.00 , then on the same day he purchased a Walker combo pack and 4 eight pound balls for the sum of 1,650.55 from the Great Lakes Guns and Tackle LTD , Thats pretty much it for the history i have on it so far , as for the make of the boat ..... you ready for this ..... 1981 StarFire 245 Fisherman Cuddy Cabin Saltwater Fishing Express Cruiser , for the inboard it has the 350 chevy with the OMC out drive . Many of the boats features seem to be ahead of their time for this year of boat , there seems to be so much that can be done with the boat at this time that will not cost any thing to do to make it ready to go back in the water , but who knows what i'll find when i get into it , so far things look good , well thats it for now , i have to go out side and play now and thanks again every one for sharing in my interest .

I was surprized to find out that one of my younger brothers ( Roger better known around here as Baby La La ) had as much interest in this old boat as i and booked off a week of holidays for this week to come and lite a fire under me and help me out with the mechanics of this old boat . Saturday morning six o:clock found us out with our coffees backing it into the shop , then it was where did i want to start . First we put in a pair of new batteries then started pressing switchs to see what would come back to life , well all the lights worked except for one of the lower deck light , no problem just needed a new bulb . Then the power trim tabs where going up and down , never knew thease things could work indepent of one another , o' and then the out drive was doing its thing going up and down .... bonus ... lol . After all the electrics checked out then it was time to turn the key switch all the way to see what we had , a couple of clicks then the engine started to turn over but real heavy . We then stoped and pulled all the plugs out and lubed all the cylinders , droped the oil and filled it back up with new , then with the plugs still out , a turn of the switch again and it was spinning over like a good thing . Next it was time to check if there was spark and to find it had nothing , off went the distribiter cap , filed the points and clean the rotor and the inside contacts in the cap ........ bingo now we had fire . Then on went the ear muff's , every thing then checked out and we had no leaks any where . With every thing put back together it was time to check and see if there was fuel getting to the carb , i thought it best for now to disconnet the fuel line from the tank and reroute it to a fresh batch of gas in a fuel can . Over and over it turned then an offer , over and over and another offer , one then two then three then all eight cylinders hitting were off , then came that sweet sound and two brothers standing there listning and grinning ear to ear . That took us up to dinner last night and it looks like we have a keeper . With still lots of work to do , hopfuly i can come back soon with another up date of when it will be ready to go in the water . Thanks again for taking the time to read this ......... Skipper .

Edited by Skipper " D "

Sweet looking ride picked up there Skip. Look forward to your first on the water reports with a box full of fishies. Posts like this do very little to quell my two-foot-itis yearning for a 22ft Islander

The boat is starting to look great Skipper!!

Just remember that when you install a fish finder to NOT use a suction cup mount. :whistling:

It's been 2 days since your last updated report skipper. :dunno: :dunno:

We want an update with pictures. :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

Lookin good to far Skip.

I might have to take the long way home one day, and check her out in person?

How much elbow grease will it take to earn a trip down riggin with ya once she's ready? :canadian:

The boat is starting to look great Skipper!!

Just remember that when you install a fish finder to NOT use a suction cup mount. :whistling:

It's been 2 days since your last updated report skipper. :dunno: :dunno:

We want an update with pictures. :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

YES........where are the new updates....... :)

The only update i have for now is ........ i was in Pro Bass last night looking for new seats , man seats for a charter boat are expensive ...... lol , For now you know the rest of the story , i need to get some more work done so theres some thing to take pictures of , hang tight ....... lol

The only update i have for now is ........ i was in Pro Bass last night looking for new seats , man seats for a charter boat are expensive ...... lol , For now you know the rest of the story , i need to get some more work done so theres some thing to take pictures of , hang tight ....... lol

There are a few boat salvage yards within a 90 minute drive out your way Skip. Might be worth the roadtrip.

There are a few boat salvage yards within a 90 minute drive out your way Skip. Might be worth the roadtrip.

Nice rig for the big water, good luck with the resto. If you come across OMC outdrive parts at a salvage for your unit, you might want to stockpile them, OMC stuff is getting hard to find.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Simon , i have their number , gave them a call to see where they are located sio i can go have a look , still waiting to hear back from them .

Nice rig for the big water, good luck with the resto. If you come across OMC outdrive parts at a salvage for your unit, you might want to stockpile them, OMC stuff is getting hard to find.

I'd be tickled Dave if i could switch every thing over to Merc , not sure if i can but i'll be checking to see .

I picked up a few supplies yesterday to use while working on the boat , i got to share this simple tool i picked up with every one , My brother told me to buy one so i did , i picked it up at the top shop in Barrie , its the neatess thing and it works fast and easy plus dose'nt hurt the finished surface underneth , its for removing pin stripping and decals . I am going to be painting the boat and started the prep work this morning , check this tool out , its as easy as it looks , just click on the picture to see it better . lol

I'd be tickled Dave if i could switch every thing over to Merc , not sure if i can but i'll be checking to see .

You might be in luck, I understand there is a conversion for the later model OMC Cobra drives but if it is an older OMC stringer drive you are outta luck.