Catching Leeches

Hi all, wondering if anyone can help me with info on how to catch leeches on lake Erie. All the bait shops seem to be out and I want to learn how. Thanks in advance.

I don't blame you.Dropped by a bait shop Friday,$13.00 a dozen. Is that what they cost now?.Holy cow how prices go up.

I've been told that you can drill holes in a can , put some cat food in the can, put it in a swampy area and the leeches will swim into the can. I have never tried this but I think that you have to have your name displayed on the can.

On fly-in trips, we always tied a string to a filleted Wally carcass, and tossed it in to the lake a few feet at night. When we were ready to go fishing in the morning, just pull in the carcass, harvest the leeches sticking to it, and we were good to go. Never less than a dozen, and most times more.

the walleye carcass works well on remote trips

if you're harvesting around home a big coffee can with some nail holes to disperse the scent with a string attached to it...dump in wet cat food and fold the lid the together and kinda fold it down, so they can find their way in but won't flow out when you pull the trap in

or you can go skiing and dump down in some weeds, pick them from your body when you climb back in the boat :whistling:

A buddy of mine uses the wear shorts while you are kicking rocks for crawfish method in the right creeks and you are killing two birds with one stone LOL. When you get out of the water you have the crawfish you netted and just harvest the leechs off your legs.

Edited by Canuck2fan

.............LEECH TACO...................

leechtrap.jpg

quick and easy trap.... they can hold about 1/2 to 3/4 lbs of leeches

I find that cool or shaded water in a marshy area works best ...

too easy not to share , nobody should pay retail price for leeches.

Randy

:canadian:

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

Forty dollars a pound most places.

that is why my cousin calls them " Black Gold " he made 6 figures trapping and wholesaling them last year alone, he's been doing it for more than 15 years ... do the math . :whistling:

Welcome to the Swamp ! :clapping:

Randy

:canadian:

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

Hi all, wondering if anyone can help me with info on how to catch leeches on lake Erie. All the bait shops seem to be out and I want to learn how. Thanks in advance.

A coffee can with holes drilled in the sides, with raw beef inside as bait. Attach to a string and lay in a warm, muddy, slow current area of a local creek, pond or river.

But better yet,buy the berkley gulp! Leeches... They work as good as live and dont come off the hook so easy.

I read somewhere that the easiest way is to use your kids. Let them swim in the mucky stuff for a while and they'll bring the leeches right to you.

That's where the expression "take a kid fishing" comes from. laugh.gif

Ya, I pu a can of tuna in.

You need red meat. Beef is best, fresh, lots of blood. A few chunks of stewing beef or a couple frozen beef shanks do the trick.

They will not ignore red beef blood if there are any around they'll shoot right to it. Check it early in the morning before they move to root in cooler mud.