Trolling Motors and Tinners....????

johnnyb

Okay, so I'm at the point where I can no longer go fishing without realizing how much easier my life would be if I had a trolling motor. I'm talking about those times when I'm fishing structure and shoreline.....actual trolling is not an issue, because I'm just running tin boats with 9.9's.

Here's my issue -- I have use of 2 different boats....a small 12' and a deep hull 14'. Ideally, the 14 footer is the one that could be modified to take a bowmount tinner, but it's really a communal boat, shared among a few cottages, even though everyone refers to it as "John's boat" because I use it the most. A platform would probably be fine, but a trolling motor might have to be a removable item.

As for the smaller boat, I don't know that a platform and bowmount would even be practical.

So general ideas and advice are welcome on what you think I should do.

Is a transom mount worth considering? Certainly would be portable enough, and when cruising along, I'd just have the big motor up....but is it realistic to think that it will work as well as I want it to? I'm just getting really tired of poling through weeds....blowing around...not being able to methodically work an area if there's a breeze hitting it.

I can get my hands on a transom mount for real cheap, BNIB never used by a friend. But if a bowmount isn't a lot of hassle, I'd much rather look at that. One tinny is mine to do as a I please with....but it's not the one I fish out of the most :lol:

Transom mounts are fine for trolling, but for structure fishing can be a PITA, especially in a good wind. I would DEFINITELY consider investing in a wireless bowmount system.

I agree with you on that.In my canoe in the open with a good wind,it takes a half acre to get her turned around.

it's really a communal boat, shared among a few cottages, even though everyone refers to it as "John's boat" because I use it the most.

So general ideas and advice are welcome on what you think I should do.

I think you should give the communal boat back to the community and buy a boat all of your own, then it really would be "John's boat" and you could buy whatever bowmount you want and you don't need to worry about what the others want. :Gonefishing:

Well, you did ask what we thought Johnny :lol:

I'm at the same point. Defiantly need a trolling motor paddling every other cast sucks. I built a platform in between the front and middle seat with a trap door it's a small tinny though so its interesting to use in high wind or multiple occupants lol. If I get a bow mount I'm Gonna get an adjustable seat and mount then put the foot control on the floor with my feet through the trap door. Btw I'm a light guy but for my platform I just put cross pieces from seat to seat then braced and put down plywood.

Edited by Mack66

Transom mount, extension handle and you are in bussiness.You can stand in the most stable part of the boat(rear) and have access to the sonar, and steer the boat with the extension handle on the trolling motor.

I actually do most of my fishing with a transom mount electric & portable fishfinder(boat cache at remote lake).I find it easier to carry the battery & motor on my quad than a small outboard & the electic starts everytime & trolls all day without hicups or fumes.

I can troll for hours & still have enough battery to get back to the landing,I troll in reverse & have excellent boat control if the wind isn't too bad.

I use a transom mount electric for my canoe and 14 foot aluminum. If there is no wind, it works fine but I would prefer a bowmount with foot controls because even slight winds make the bow of the boat move from one side to the other so I spend more time controlling the boat than fishing.

Yes....a bowmount is more expensive but they allow you to constantly fish.

On top of that, it's a hassle to have a gas motor and electric motor both mounted on the transom. Either the props can come in contact with one another or the steering handles come in contact with the motors.

A transom mount but take the screw out of the top of the shaft and turn the head 180* then all your forward speeds will be your reverse, you want this because you should be going backwards for good boat control. Think of it as pulling a chain instead of pushing it, the boat will go exactly where you want it and fishing in the wind would not be a problem.

Yes, if I were going to do the transom mount, I'd be cruising around in reverse for sure. Still like the thought of a bowmount.

And of course I should buy my own boat....but it ain't in the cards yet. YET.

Thanks for the input guys ;)

I run a 14' aluminum with a 9.9 and a 36lb transom mount.

There is no question that a bow mount with a foot control is more convenient. But the way my boat is set up, the transom mount works fantastic. I sit in the captains chair, can run the motor, fish finder and rod holder all looking in the same direction. Great slow trolling rig for walleye.

The downsides of transom mount on a small boat... If you don't lift your main motor, and try to run the trolling motor, you end up with a serated prop really quick. And if you have the electric set to low in the water, the handle on the electric hits the main motor, and limits how much you can turn. A bit of a pain in the but at times.

And definitally go stonger then 36lb.. It's not enough in strong wind.