Mosquito Problem

EC1

Top o' the Morning!

Well, bass season is coming up soooooo super soon and I am extra excited this year to get on the lake and fish some frogs and jigs!

That being said, it finally clicked as to why I am super attractive to mosquitoes this year. I had an internship at WFN for the last couple months, and every morning I brought a banana milkshake to snack on. Now when I'm outside with any of my friends, I am the first one to get targetted by mosquitoes - EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Anyone know of a remedy to neutralize the effects of the bananas? LOL

:w00t: :w00t:

Thanks guys.

Oh, and if you have to, the remedy is to bring bananas for everybody so you won't be the only target :thumbsup_anim:

:clapping::lol:

Years ago I met a couple of guides and they swore by garlic. They would eat it the week before going into camp and bring another 5 pounds or more to eat while in the bush. Would have garlic on everything and even eat garlic sandwiches. I've never tried it but they said they would never get a bug bite. Personally I just use repellent and don't eat bananas. ;)

I have heard that eating bananas will attract mosquitoes. Back when I was still in school, I was in a group with someone who was studying mosquitoes for her PhD program. Apparently any foods that increase your metabolism will attract mosquitoes – Foods high in sugars (like bananas, soft drinks, candy, etc).

As for dealing with mosquitoes, I wear the bug jacket and wear clothing which they can’t get through – DEET is always on hand. It’s the only way to fish the trout streams I do. I have tried the thermacell in serious mosquito infested areas – I must be the only one for which it hasn’t lived up to expectations (IMO).

Hm.. I just remember learning bananas and mosquitoes from somewhere a long time ago... It's just that I seem to be extra attractive to mosquitoes compared to previous years.

Thermacell I actually already own one...Won't be useful when I'm fishing, and if I use that at the launch, it'll be just about starting to repel the bugs when I'm ready to get on the water.

fishburn, smoke is definitely useful, let's just hope my partner smokes more this weekend ! :whistling:

Here's Ontario's Health view on the subject.

Mosquitos

Good link. A few myths that I had never heard of on there. As for the Thermacell, I'm a firm believer in the product under the perfect conditions. On a few occasions when the bugs have be terrible I've fired up the Thermacell and in a few minutes the bugs are gone. On windy days, place it up wind of your location and it will help. However, not as effective as it is on a calm day. Just my opinion from my experiences with the unit. If you are on the move it won't be as effective either as it need time to build up a barrier.