2nd time Musky fishing & New PB!!

I'mHooked

Got out last Thurs & Fri with Cowanjo for a serious Musky beat down. It was my 2nd Musky outing and I was pumped for the opportunity!

I was just getting hungry when we pulled in at 7AM and this gobbler greated us. Didn't end up with a turkey sandwich though.

71ba9b0a.jpg

In the boat and on the water around 8AM. Raced to our starting position and BAM! Within the 1st 10 minutes of casting

this stellar beast hammered my offering. Shy of 46" :thumbsup_anim: (Was nice to up my previous best which was my 1st ever Musky, last Oct in the rain at 42". See avatar)

I think my partner was still putting his sunblock on or something. ;)

He did a great job landing, cutting the hooks, and taking one heck of a great picture of my 1st fish on only my 2nd outing! What an incredible way to start the day!

ecb114aa.jpg

Next came jr. around 11:30.

Casting to some outside lines we see a boil on the other side of the boat 50 feet out. As I was just ready to make another cast, I landed the "double 10" about 15 feet past the rings and started cranking. Just got the blades spinning when WHAMMO! :clapping:

This scrappy 33" got the acrobatics started!

c9d33b2c.jpg

Next, sometime around 1pm came Jr.-jr. This little guy was a bundle of fun. Got himself spun up really well in the line. After a quick detangle, he was freed and darted straight for the bottom.

91246cac.jpg

Had 3 more hook-ups that didn't get landed. Baits came back to the boat with teeth marks on the body, but didn't manage to get hooks into them.

Why haven't we seen any fish from my partner yet? Well, the action for Cowanjo was unfortunately...lacking on day 1. :whistling:

The action on Friday sure didn't materialize as quickly as did the previous day.

There were a few missed hooksets and a few follows through the morning, but nothing to take a picture of.

Around 1 pm we met our 3rd partner 'Fishgreg' at the boat launch. He came prepared with a round of deli sandwhiches for all! :worthy: Along with a few original style 'bottles' of Coke. Ahhh, refreshing! :good:

Ok, so now we've got some fresh enthusiasm on the boat (nothing landed in the past 24 hours at this point).

Well, I don't recall the times, but it took another few missed fish by the time the next fish was landed 3 or 4 hours later. FINALLY Cowanjo manages to get some hooks buried into something sizeable. It was a 10" lure, so definatley wasn't a perch or crappie. After a good boat side tussle it revealed itself as a 28" Walleye! :w00t:

A PB Walleye for him. Didn't think they came that big in this lake. Nice fish Cowanjo!

45ba214a.jpg

...And because he's on some sort of tournament fish team, here's the official "team" entry photo...although I think he'll have to chime in with which actual team he is on.

29ed3fca.jpg

A couple more hours have gone by at this point and I think it's sometime around 8pm maybe. Fishgreg has been launching ICBM's from the boat in every direction looking for SOMETHING to come out and play.

Finally his efforts were rewarded after tying on a topwater prop bait. Breaking up the surface of the water like a hydrofoil was racing by, we witnessed a surface strike which he nor I had previously seen in person. It was his first surface strike Musky! :clapping: What a blast! Got a little wound up in the net, but was freed to get bigger and attack another day. Think his came in at 32":

Untitled.jpg

Ok, time for the "host with the most", Cowanjo, to get a hit by his 10th Musky of the 2 week season! (I didn't feel so bad for him up to this point as he already had 9 landed in the previous 1-1/2 weeks! :blahblah1: ) ;)

A nice 34"er to round out the day of fish that made it into the net:

d0bff9cb.jpg

By no means was this the only fish we saw on his line. There was a rather large tank that made an appearance for his lure boatside and had a good couple of rod bending headshakes, but alas, they were not to be...this day.

Had an incredible 2 days (25 hours in the boat total), during the week no less, with fantastic 24-28 deg weather. Saw some spectacular aerial displays by numerous Osprey & Blue Herons, along with various other wildlife (bartender not included).

Thanks for looking. This is also 1st attempt at using photobucket, so hope it worked alright.

Cheers!

Very well done guys ! I bet now you are really HOOKED !

You can say that again! And it doesn't even matter what species, I get stoked at them all!

25 hours in the boat -- AWESOME!! Just a little under 2hrs per inch for that pb ;) Way to go on the great fishing...looks like a fun bunch of guys to hang with. Keep the reports coming :D

Even if there wasn't an inch every 2hrs, it was just an amazing time on the water! Yah, the guys were ok to hang with...I guess. ;)

Fantastic report Guys! Glad you had a good time.

Thanks, It's been a long time coming...would have had an equally impressive report from last outing with Solopaddler...until his camera went for a swim in the Grand. :oops:

Way to go Craig :clapping: :clapping:

I gotta try this musky thing one day.

Let's go...I know where 1 or 2 live. :whistling:

Nice 46" Craig!

Thanks Dax. I'm just hoping they can get incrementally bigger with subsequent outings. Well it's wishfull thinking!

Good looking fish!

The Walleye? :sarcasm:

Sweet ski!! Sounds like it was an awesome trip.

Best 2 days by far.

Awesome report!! Some really nice fish, that walleye especially :thumbsup_anim:

What Walleye? Oh, the one that other guy caught. :lol:

Thanks Frankie

Why haven't we seen any fish from my partner yet? Well, the action for Cowanjo was unfortunately...lacking on day 1. :whistling:

I could ask the same about day two and my partner on day two :whistling: maybe your guide didnt give you the right lure on day two!!! I must say that Craigs first musky in photo above was really solid one of the biggest shouldered fish i have seen, i look forward to seeing her again in five years time.

What a trip - both Craig and Greg are great company and very good hard core fisherman. I look forward to a musky photo at lotw to make a new PB, so far now have a 28 and half inch walleye for team 8 and havent deemed any of my musky big enough to warrant entry!

Thanks again craig you can destroy my lures anytime! I also thank greg and Craig for working out a new pattern with me which we will need to refined......picture of the brutes to follow and maybe a PB which I think head shaked me off on Day two.

Nice PB. Its exactly 46" bigger than my pb musky.

That walleye on a 10" bait is impressive... I'll have to try some big bait walleye this summer.

We thought the Wally was an Esox at first because of the weight behind it. Was a nice surprise!

Congrats guys what a great report

Thanks Mike. The Jr. in the 2nd pic was on your gold/brass double 10. :clapping:

Guess I know what I want for Christmas now!

Wow, now those are some crazy big fish, guys- nice work!

I like that...'crazy big'...nice! Thanks!

That was a good report and the short time I spent out on the water with Craig and John was fun. I won't spend too much time commenting on hookup rates, but I will say that I was batting 1000. I don't often get a hit, but when I do I connect.

Without a doubt you had the best ratio! ;). I'll work on improving my batting from 500 :D

I could ask the same about day two and my partner on day two :whistling: maybe your guide didnt give you the right lure on day two!!! I must say that Craigs first musky in photo above was really solid one of the biggest shouldered fish i have seen, i look forward to seeing her again in five years time.

What a trip - both Craig and Greg are great company and very good hard core fisherman. I look forward to a musky photo at lotw to make a new PB, so far now have a 28 and half inch walleye for team 8 and havent deemed any of my musky big enough to warrant entry!

Thanks again craig you can destroy my lures anytime! I also thank greg and Craig for working out a new pattern with me which we will need to refined......picture of the brutes to follow and maybe a PB which I think head shaked me off on Day two.

Yes, what a trip! I'd be happy top help destroy a few more lures! We'll work on that new pattern some more. :good:

Craig that is amazing, congrat's on the big musky!

Kudos to your partner as well for putting you on the right spot. :good:

Thanks Mike. Yes, it's nice to have a partner putting you on the right spot. (caugh...saugeen...caugh :whistling::sarcasm: )

Some nice fish for sure.

Do you know how much they charge to advertise on that bill board? :whistling::rofl2::sarcasm:

That's not a billboard Brian, this guy was setting up a movie screen for "on the water movie night" :whistling: