Father's Day Fishing on the Kawarthas

FisherJuli

It seems like forever since we have launched the boat (last fall!), but we finally did it!

We officially celebrated the 3rd Annual Father's Day Fishing on the Kawarthas with my two favorite men- my dad, and Frankie65 (and the two strongest fishing inspirations in my life) and it was a fabulous day!

We were on the water well after daybreak (the longest day of the year is a double-edged sword!)- gliding on the waves by 7:30am. It was forecasted to be sketchy day for targeting walleyes- sun, little wind, and HOT- but not much stops us from trying! Fish, or no fish, it was already breathtaking!

IMG_5080.jpg

I honestly love the commotion of getting the boat on the water, setting up the rods, finding our first target spot... and that first WHAM! Yep, four casts in to the morning, I was fortunate to be the one to get the first hit! This was surely no perch.. not even a walleye (and I starting whooping with excitement!)! The first fish of the day got the adrenaline going more than my two coffees had yet done- and within a minute or two, I saw my awesome beast jump out of the water and do a little tail dance! I yelled! (my apologies to any Kawartha folks rudely awakened by the echo!)

She misbehaved and ran around the boat on me... then, even came out the other side and did a flip while my rod was still on the WRONG side!), but I got her after a 5 minute scuffle. (I am stubborn, and this was gonna be MY fish of the day!) For the first time, we used the fish cradle (from FisherPete!!) and she glided in without any more scuffle. She was wonderful- all 33" of her, with the most beautiful greens and blues I have ever seen on a musky. (some just look like a dinosaur's decendants to me!) Sorry- the better shot here is on my dad's camera, yet to be retrieved. She's my personal best musky, and I am pretty darned proud of that!

DSCN0963.jpg

She took a bit of work to send off- but after 3 minutes or so of hanging out with me, she was off for another day! Video of the release below.

th_DSCN0968.jpg

On a weird note (and you guys that have seen me set the hook may understand how it could have possibly happened!), I inadvertantly did a little dental work on my girl (I found it later on the hook that had already fallen out of her mouth): she left me with a very sharp 1/2"+ long tooth on the end of my worm harness! I thought it was a zebra mussel.. but nope! Sorry, girl!

IMG_5203.jpg

What a fan-tabulous way to start the day with my heart racing like a runaway train!

And so, the day then 'ramped up' with some itsy bitsy babies... and some more... and my dad took the prize for most from the nursery.

IMG_5092.jpg

But you know, jumbo or mini- I never get tired of these gorgeous little guys!

IMG_5100.jpg

While the morning was warming up, still and calm, and we were just getting in to a rhythm, my dad nailed this nice 'little' musky of the morning, and after a couple shots from the cradle, off she went!

IMG_5115.jpg

The boys took some turns at some more little ones... and I think the fish were afraid of my now musky-scented worm harness!

IMG_5129.jpg

The colours on the fish intrigued me this year- I don't think I have ever seen so many interesting camouflages! (for those of you dispising Rock Bass, please scroll past this one!)

IMG_5134.jpg

And the day continued to heat up, but we were still smiling!!

IMG_5125.jpg

IMG_5127.jpg

Luckily, by noon, a rigid breeze blew throught to cool us off, and allow a drift down the lake. And still, more beautiful, tiny-ish fish!

IMG_5158.jpg

Over the course of the next couple hours, the fish were well fed, Frank became the King of the Crappies, and my dad took my long-standing title of the most species in the lake- he got nearly everything EXCEPT a walleye!

We were there to try to get some walleyes, and they knew it! 7 hours in to our trip, and not a single walleye! And then- WHAM! One nice tug on Frank's line, and we added a walleye to our list of caught and released for the day!

IMG_5169.jpg

Nice, toothy, and fun to watch him catch!

IMG_5171.jpg

All in all, it was a fabulous day with the Top 2 fishermen in my life... and always a blast for me! My 'pesonal best' was icing on the cake, and it would have been a great day without it... but it sure does something for my ego to get the biggie of the day, too!

IMG_5180.jpg

Edited by FisherJuli

Nice report Julie, I went on Saturday with my buddy on Rice had a very good day on walleye, 8 in total,trolled for a while and then ripped some bucktail jigs right on the edge of the weed beds. :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks, guys! Funny enough, the only Muskies I have caught have been with a worm harness and clearly not my target species... of course, a 'pretty one' seems to be the trick! Yeah, they are so much fun to catch, and are really amazing and powerful creatures- it was a BLAST!

Juli outfishes Frankie...AGAIN! thumbsup_anim.gif

LOL!! Now that all depends on perspective. Target species was walleye, and, I DID catch the ONLY walleye (sad as that is) but, yes, she did catch the BIGGEST fish :D

It was a fun day on the water, always a great time with Craig. Juli mentioned me being the crappie king, funny thing, but for whatever reason I was catching them all over the lake. Too bad they weren't a tad bigger, would have made for a good meal.

Liverelease: Who couldn't smile at catching that fish?!

Beans: world's greatest sportfish, amen- the put up a scrap for their size!

Hahaha.. Thx to the rest of you!

But come on-- no comments on the crazy musky tooth?! Is it more common than I imagined?!! That thing is so sharp... Well, it's a flippin' musky tooth!

Liverelease: Who couldn't smile at catching that fish?!

Beans: world's greatest sportfish, amen- the put up a scrap for their size!

Hahaha.. Thx to the rest of you!

But come on-- no comments on the crazy musky tooth?! Is it more common than I imagined?!! That thing is so sharp... Well, it's a flippin' musky tooth!

Send it to my GF, she'll make a cool necklace with it for you!

Liverelease- i didn't actually pull the musky tooth. My hook must have come under her roots and pulled it out in the fight- totally by mistake. I found it after I put her back in the water while checking my lure. It was just stuck on the end of the hook! But you're 100% bang on the cuts- not fun!