Are you kidding me???

TJQ

Releasing Supermarket Fish Into Rouge River Leads To Fines

Two Greater Toronto Area residents have been fined a total of $1,000 for releasing live fish into the Rouge River, in the City of Toronto.

Li Zhang of Toronto and Zhuolun Zhang of Markham pleaded guilty to releasing live fish into the Rouge River. They were each fined $500.

The court heard that on March 3, 2012, a member of the public was walking in Rouge Park when he observed a man and woman carrying buckets of fish from a vehicle to the river. The man approached the couple and explained that it was illegal to release the fish into the river. The couple ignored the warning and the incident was reported to the Ministry of Natural Resources TIPS hotline. A conservation officer subsequently located and charged the man and woman involved. The fish had been purchased at a supermarket for the purpose of being released to the wild.

The Ministry of Natural Resources reminds the public that it is illegal to deposit live fish into any body of water other than the body of water from which they came. The illegal release of live fish poses a significant threat to Ontario's environment, and could result in the introduction of harmful diseases and invasive species.

Justice of the Peace Ruby Wong heard the case in the Ontario Court of Justice in Toronto on June 7, 2012.

To report a natural resources violation, call 1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667) toll-free any time or contact your local ministry office during regular business hours. You can also call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

I just dont understand.. isnt that some sort of environmental terrorism...

these guys take a few salmon out of season...

Three Salmon Poachers Net $3,300 In Fines

NEWS

June 12, 2012

Three Greater Toronto Area residents have been fined a total of $3,300 for illegal salmon fishing at Bowmanville Creek in Clarington.

Vladimir Mihalenja and Alexandre Chablinski of Richmond Hill and Magamed Magomedov of Toronto pleaded guilty to netting salmon on Bowmanville Creek and were each fined $1,100. In addition to the fines, their fishing nets, chest waders and flashlights were permanently forfeited to the Crown.

The court heard that on the night of September 22, 2011, conservation officers from the Ministry of Natural Resources found the men netting salmon at Bowmanville Creek in Clarington. The officers saw Mihalenja and Magomedov scooping up the salmon with landing nets and saw Chablinski killing the fish by stamping on them with his boots.

Justice of the Peace Maxine Coopersmith heard the case in the Ontario Court of Justice in Whitby on June 6, 2012."

------

and that's more of a fine than intentionally releasing an invasive species into our waters??? ..I don't understand??? Why didn't they just put a couple of barrels of diesel in the river??? Maybe thats less of a fine too?? I dunno... im just a bit infuriated here???

with names like Li Zhang and Zhuolun Zhang why does that not surprise me.

Just 500 each for helping detroying our lakes and rivers? I am sure they do it all the time and will continue to do so a long with every other person like them who do it as well. I am sure the fish they let go were things like Gobies, Asian Carp and Snake heads. Tossing Bass or Crappie or something Native would be unheard of. Not that it would be right.

For some cultures this is thought to bring good luck. Along the lines (but far more damaging) of an angler tossing coins into the water. I am not condoning it just passing along information.

I was wondering about this but never heard of it before. Chinese do have superstitions and beliefs (Feng Shui and Qingming Festival for example) as do others.

Still...

I dont give a --- about peoples beliefs of superstitions.. its unbelievable... its about reasonableness.. that to me .. is certainly ill informed , moronic and unreasonable.

Ya, they should have been used as an example, and fined out the :asshat:

At least then they would tell their friends to be more careful :wallbash:

Just wait, things are going to get a lot worse, before they get better. You have to wonder how much of this is going on, that doesn't get caught??

S.

I dont give a --- about peoples beliefs of superstitions.. its unbelievable... its about reasonableness.. that to me .. is certainly ill informed , moronic and unreasonable.

Tremendously ill informed without a doubt.

... You have to wonder how much of this is going on, that doesn't get caught??

^ This

Some dumb :asshat: cut down a perfectly healthy tree and put it inside their house, decorate it, then throw it out 2 weeks later. They do this every year if you can believe that.

From the outside many cultures have unusual traditions.

Educate (and fine heavily), don't ostracize.

Some dumb :asshat: cut down a perfectly healthy tree and put it inside their house, decorate it, then throw it out 2 weeks later. They do this every year if you can believe that.

Apples and oranges.

The majority of Those trees are planted from a seed, just for that reason.

If certain cultures need to release a fish for good luck, throw it in a pool somewhere, not a trib of lake Ontario, or major watershed.

They should be fined the max.

Just imagine if we did something in their country....you think we'd get off with a $500 fine?? I don't.

S.

Some dumb asshat.gif cut down a perfectly healthy tree and put it inside their house, decorate it, then throw it out 2 weeks later. They do this every year if you can believe that.

Agreed, but when people immigrate to Canada, are they not informed of our culture and laws, and encouraged to abide by them or face deportation?dunno.gif

Sometimes you cant just say sorry, we didnt know.I believe that the introduction of Asian Carp and Snakeheads was a deliberate act, based on a monetary decision and not on any cultural superstition.

I believe it, but our government dances around the truth in the name of political correctness.

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Are you serious?!?! How can you compare harvesting a farmed tree to possibly destroying an entire ecosystem???

How much are our great lakes fisheries worth? Billions? I agree with T.J. these actions are a form of terrorism and these people should be treated as criminals not just lightly fined!!!

Ignorance is NO excuse....

If you decide to come live here, then PLAY BY OUR RULES.

That means... saying "Merry Christmas" and fishing by our rules and regulations!

Plain and simple.

If you dont like it..... please feel free to "return to sender!"

Just my $0.02...

I must agree that this is ridiculous , and if it's a cultural thing, well.. I'm not even going to start on THAT whole topic, or the christmas thing for that matter, but perhaps rather than attempting to educate the millions of people that may not be aware of the dangers they can cause be doing this... simply ban the selling of live fish at supermarkets:sarcasm: ? (I mean, if they can ban plastic bags.. :whistling:)

Ignorance is NO excuse....

If you decide to come live here, then PLAY BY OUR RULES.

That means... saying "Merry Christmas" and fishing by our rules and regulations!

Plain and simple.

If you dont like it..... please feel free to "return to sender!"

Just my $0.02...

X2

MERRY CHRISTMAS Stoty.........

We have a new tradition in our house......if you send us a CHRISTMAS Card, it gets displayed.....if you send us a "holiday" card, it gets thrown out....the word got out and we only received 1 "holiday" card in the mail compared to dozens of CHRISTMAS Cards..... :)

We have a new tradition in our house......if you send us a CHRISTMAS Card, it gets displayed.....if you send us a "holiday" card, it gets thrown out....the word got out and we only received 1 "holiday" card in the mail compared to dozens of CHRISTMAS Cards.....

:thumbsup_anim::lol:

the law is the law, so no excuse

I'm just glad we can post "damn" again

LOL

Actually we can't.

Our collective 'superior' intellect will eventually be our downfall. We'll have to learn to be more vigilant. We have a lot of work to do.