;,;

Andrew Grant

This past weekend me and my dad stayed at bears den lodge on the french river and fished musky for a couple days. Our cottage is on Georgian bay and we fish muskies every weekend that we are up. We don't catch many muskies on Gbay but they are usually BIG. Some weekends we dont even see a fish but that's what it's like sometimes. On the other hand there is days like last November where we caught 51" and 50" muskies 20 minutes apart. So on Gbay it seems like there is a low population of muskies but they are big. Back to the trip, fishing was slow and we managed one fish (43.5) and a 20 lb pike for two days and had a couple hits( one of which mysteriously bent my dads bucktail). While at the lodge talking to Art about Pointe au Baril he said that there are probably more muskies in the French and that they are probably bigger. So my question is, how do you think the populations and size of the fish compare between these two waterbodies? Do you think what Art said is true?

I spent about 25 years going to Pointe Au Baril, it was very rare for us to see a small muskie, or catch one. We did lose a number of pigs over the years, our success at landing them was nil. It was enough though to keep us going back, it was never a numbers game for us and we should have been better prepared for a huge fish. Most of our big fish hook ups came after we had given up on Muskies for the day and were bass fishing.

The French probably has the numbers, perhaps in limited areas? I think a lot of Muskies at Pointe Au Baril might just be deeper water fish? They don`t have to look as hard for food?

I've been fishing the French above and below the Chaudiere dams since the mid 90's.....I've never seen a muskie, or heard of any caught. You need to talk to the Indian elders to get any of the stories of muskie from the old times.

That being said, we've caught some massive sheepshead, and, for numbers, you can't beat the rock bass.

I was at one point an exclusive musky guy for about 10 years... and almost always fished GBAY. Having said that, I think its great there are alot of people that want to go out and fish it understand this though. You can go DAYS without a pull and then all of a sudden you get 3 in a day. It can be very frustrating but the rewards are great. I was there the day G. Bristow caught his 58" and let me tell you its a fine thing to see. Scary part is we have seen fish there that are gross in size. Time on the water and many, many fishless days. But all it takes is one pull on the rod and your the next K. O'brien. ;)

You guys all have great points but since when do pple say there is no muskie in west arm, i caught one last year right behind honeymoon island ????? i think maybe you guys might not be looking in the right places. My unlce has lived here for years and catches them every spring off the dock....

If you truly want a good concentration of good size muskie( between 40" to 50") my recomendation would be the veuve river , a lot of big muskie caught in this small river. I have 2 friends that fish this river regularly and they have both caught some over 50". I would say the french is good for muskie probly the average would be in the 40's . I've been fishing the area for about 10-12 years now and there is pletty of muskie up there just need to know were to find them...whistling.gif

You guys all have great points but since when do pple say there is no muskie in west arm, i caught one last year right behind honeymoon island ????? i think maybe you guys might not be looking in the right places. My unlce has lived here for years and catches them every spring off the dock....

If you truly want a good concentration of good size muskie( between 40" to 50") my recomendation would be the veuve river , a lot of big muskie caught in this small river. I have 2 friends that fish this river regularly and they have both caught some over 50". I would say the french is good for muskie probly the average would be in the 40's . I've been fishing the area for about 10-12 years now and there is pletty of muskie up there just need to know were to find them...whistling.gif

Fishingyoda, everyone was kidding about no fish anywhere....