First Aid Knowledge

npt1

I strongly recommend the St Johns Wilderness 1st Aid, I take this every 2 years for work and it really expands on the extended care aspect as well as some of the realities of dealing with injuries in remote locations. Especially for anyone going far afield like canoe trips etc. Another important tip is to find out some basic health info about all in your party before leaving, medication needs etc. Helps the process of elimination should someone pass out. (e.g. hypoglycemia)

I used these skills a few times with serious injuries on various fishing trips. If you plan on doing any guiding at all, this should be a requirement.

I gave myself stitches while in the backcountry a dozen or so years ago. When I got out and went to the clinic a week laer they injected some anticeptic or something around it. removed my stiches and everythign held together... mind you I still have a scar from it. but I stayed alive and fished the whole week. :) Other than that I am knocking on wood as I have been fortunate enough to not need to do anything else.

St. John Advanced plus the various CPR modalities. Have used the F/A a lot, but never for a true life or death situation.

One of the best things I learned outside of a first aid class was how to apply surgical staples. They are fantastic for serious lacerations and incisions. Now I keep sterlized dog wound staplers in my first aid kits. Easy to use, not too many ways you can go wrong, and it can save you from aborting a trip.

Along with the 1st AID and CPR, also learn how to perform the Heimlich Maneuver. It's very simple to do, but it's also very effective, and chocking is something that can happen to anybody at anytime, whether at home, in a restaurant or deep in the bush.

Many years ago we went to cut wood near Algonquin and I insisted we carry a First Aid kit "what for . . ." It's ok I'll carry it!

Sure enough a slip and the chain saw running and slit thigh! I jumped in stopped the bleeding bandaged him of and off to Bancroft I think.

Three hours later an OPP officer stopped and asked who took car of him . . . he will be fine.

I have no formal training but if need be I do what I can.

I haven't taken a course in about 10 years and definitely should again. Thankfully nothing major over the years other than some cuts and what not. I always carry a well stocked first aid kit on trips as well as a pocket first aid book. Sometimes you only have 1 first aid trained person in the group you never know who will go down, at least with a book someone not trained can take a quick peak to at least get things stabilized (well hopefully).

I gave myself stitches while in the backcountry a dozen or so years ago. When I got out and went to the clinic a week laer they injected some anticeptic or something around it. removed my stiches and everythign held together... mind you I still have a scar from it. but I stayed alive and fished the whole week. :) Other than that I am knocking on wood as I have been fortunate enough to not need to do anything else.

As my kids would say, that's pretty gnar.

I refresh my CPR every 2 years, still remember most of what I learned as an army cadet so many years ago, but wouldn't be opposed to freshening that up, either.

Edited by backbay

I've done a few different generic first aid coarses over the years. Red Cross, St. Johns. Also completed the Wilderness First Aid coarse with WMA.

Camping in the backwoods two years ago. Guy jumped off a cliff into the water. Hit a rock. He was so drunk and high he didn't know how bad it was. I tried to take care of him a little, but he was playing tough guy. Finished off the weekend, and the 5 hour canoe trip out.

Went to the hospital on the way home. Broken tail bone.

Was a firefighter for 30 years, and had First Aid re-qualifications every 2. CPR was an extra, which I used weekly, on the job.

One year my son and I went to a Blue Jays game on the Go Train. While sitting and waiting for the next one, we saw a fellow commuter go from sitting on a bench, to laying on the platform. I went over , and finding no pulse, administerd CPR, till the arrival of the ambulance.

Strange thing was this guy came to, and sat up- refused any assistance by the ambulance crew, signed off with them, and then WENT TO THE GAME!

Saw him on the way home, as he was on the same train.

Bottom line of this for me was that I was glad that I could be of assistance.

Very different to me to be using it as a part of my job, than on my days off.

Very happy to have had the training. Everyone should take a course!

Very happy to not have needed it since,

You NEVER know!

Edited by floatman55

started with st johns and red cross years ago. taken the first responder about 5 times. BTLS a few times, Pre Hospital Trauma Care, Defib, Oxygen Therapy, Advanced Airways, a few others i can't recall and about a dozen different versions of CPR..changes in a big circle it seems.

as mentioned previously i see the heimlich and other choking relief methods (particularly for infants and childeren) to be some of the most likely events one might come across - and the most easily remedied if you have an idea what you are doing.

I've used this training countless times but limited times "in the bush". did call in an air ambulance for a guy found on a houseboat on a back lake...lots of first aid stuff for minor injuries (including hooks!)..several hypothermia incidents... cardiac incident at a neighbouring cottage...found 3 guys after a raceboat crashed into a rock wall (not much help to give there) so i guess a few.

the more you know about first aid, and the more experienced you become..the greater one can see the need to start the emergency process as soon as possible and get the injured/ill to a hospital!!

all the training in the world can be ineffective without some basic equipment and the ability to transport. pays to be careful out there! good to hear that people are gettting trained and taking their first aid kits.

oh and as for gear i have a really simple first aid kit in the boat..when we travel somewhere serious or with lots of people i have an inhalator kit with O2 bottle, airways, bag-valve mask, rebreathers, etc.

the oxygen bottle has come in handy many times to releive certain symptoms associated with late nights and excessive drinking...

Edited by smally21

I'm certified Advanced Medical First Responder through St. John Ambulance. Until just last month I was also an instructor of this course and Standard First Aid & CPR. Work didn't leave me enough time to keep instructing.

Advanced Medical First Responder is a 40 hr course after you are qualified Standard First Aid + CPR/C.

Never used first aid during a fishing trip but have used it many times at work & while volunteering with St. John Ambulance.