Do you use a transom saver/outboard motor support?

hooked!

Seems unlikely a whole industry would exist just to rip-off the ignorant.

stp.jpg

I was pretty clear I was expressing an opinion. In fact, I repeated that point. I didn't include my quick calcs - too many assumptions made. By the way, which words did you think were the big ones?

Edited by whiskywizard

My E-Tec has a built in Trailer Bracket that I use "ALL" the time 1 mile or 500 miles.

So I have a transom Saver I bought and do not use!

If you can pick it up, Its Free

Rick

Just need a 2x6 ;) lol

I also use a high-tech piece of 2x6...I consulted with my cousin who worked for OMC and ran all the update courses for marine mechanics. He's also designed and built boats. His opinion was that the 2x6 distributed the shock and kept the motor off the tilt/trim hydraulics, and there was no need to go with a transom saver.

Wasn`t the transom saver,But the hydraulic manual relieve valve in the tilt support that saved it.

As the truck hit the engine it open and dump the oil allowing it to move.

I would have thought that as well .. but there was nothing on the road and my motor was still tilted up.

It was like the energy was diverted directly to the transom saver.

I've used a transom saver on my 01 Lund Pro Sport/60 hp Merc since it was new. After reading this thread, am I to understand that I've been wasting the $.37878788 per month (seriously. I did the math) that this has cost me so far? I could have retired years ago if I'd known this earlier. :whistling:

Squid, on 05 June 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

Wow three pages of discussion on Transom savers.

Likewise.. I use one on a 30hp 2 stroke.. It Might not be needed, but I'm trying to take care of my new baby!! $50 is small insurance on something I paid $10000 for.. I don't like having the motor down because it's too close to the road ( my buddy ripped a skeg off on a curb once).. And I don't like having it tilted up because it bounces too much. Mine sits on the transom saver now, strapped down securely.. Motor does not move, at all.

The best thing to do is after fishing and just before trailering.......remove said outboard and lay it flat on the floor of the boat......next time out just replace it back on the transom before launching................ :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: ......stupid discussion over........ :P:devil:

Not all motors or transom saver devices are the same. Even some trailers are different making it difficult to install a TS, while some boats sit so high the motor can be lowered down almost completely. I had an Opti 90 and the hydraulics were directly connected to the motor while a 20 tiller had no hydraulics and the support tab did not lock the motor when tilted. See a lot of little tillers flopping around on bumpy roads. As someone mentioned if your hydraulics failed on the road your motor could grind away - a motor saver. Some TS seem to transfer weight to the trailer while others just seem to make the motor more solid to the boat with no weight transfer. A little cost for peace of mind is great as long as it actually achieves something. Worst case, the device setup does nothing but you still hit bumps and railways xings like it does.

The best thing to do is after fishing and just before trailering.......remove said outboard and lay it flat on the floor of the boat......next time out just replace (the broken tiller handle and shifter lever) then put it back on the transom before launching................ :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: ......stupid discussion over........ :P:devil:

Fixed it for ya BB.