Anyone tow with Dodge Caravan?

Hi there....really close to signing on a new boat. Just making sure on a couple of things. My Grand Caravan is rated for 3,500 (with 2 people and their luggage). The boat package I am looking at would be about 2,900 with gas and gear....do you see any issues? Ramp I will use 99% of the time is in good shape and relatively flat.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't want to tow much more than 2000lbs with a Caravan. You'll really be pushing it to it's limit with that kinda weight.

If its eqipped with a tow package, ie tranny cooler and HD shocks etc, then you should be good to go.Is it a newer model? or is it one of the ones with perpetual transmission problemswallbash.gif

Edited by mercman

front wheel vehicles have a hard time pulling your boat up a ramp....tounge is pushing down at the back of the van lifting the front wheels up a little....on a wet steep ramp...ya aint gonna do it!!!

not only will you have problems...but you will definitely wear that tranny out ....just speaking from experience :wallbash:

If you're going to tow close to the limit like that do yourself a big favour and get a weight distribution hitch. It will make a huge difference in the way the van handles as well as effectively taking 1/2 the tongue weight off the rear wheels and putting it on the front driving wheels. This will get rid of the rear sag and give you better traction on the front driving/steering wheels. Your van will corner better when hauling the boat and get better traction when pulling the boat out of the lake.

One similar to This should do the trick.

If you're going to tow close to the limit like that do yourself a big favour and get a weight distribution hitch. It will make a huge difference in the way the van handles as well as effectively taking 1/2 the tongue weight off the rear wheels and putting it on the front driving wheels. This will get rid of the rear sag and give you better traction on the front driving/steering wheels. Your van will corner better when hauling the boat and get better traction when pulling the boat out of the lake.

One similar to This should do the trick.

Do those 'arms' reach the 'A' section of the trailer? How do they transfer weight to the front driving wheels? Curious, as I pull a 3350 lb package (not with a Caravan).

Thx,

Simon

Do those 'arms' reach the 'A' section of the trailer? How do they transfer weight to the front driving wheels? Curious, as I pull a 3350 lb package (not with a Caravan).

Thx,

Simon

x2...lol

Thx,

Simon

Yes they reach the A section of the trailer on campers but you need a pole tongue adapter for boat trailers.

Pole Tongue Adapter

Here's a good article on how weight distribution hitches work.

There are also smaller weight distribution hitches for trailers 3500#'s or under (I really should have linked to that one for the OP but couldn't find it at the time)

http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Reese/RP66024.html

I had no issues with any of my caravans towing any boat. My newest boat is 17' Starcraft super fisherman I would load it with all camping gear and head to Cameron lake a good long drive down the 401 and then back roads. Before that we would head way north elk lake Sudbury and other places north.

The only problem I would have is in the late fall here in LSC I would get stuck pulling out of the launch as there is a drop off all trailers get hung up on but there would be someone around to pull me out.

I tow with a 2002 Grand Caravan ( 300 000km ) The total boat weight is only 1600 lbs.

I have been towing for about 4 years and have not had a problem yet. ( knock on wood )

A couple of sketchy launches but everthing was fine.

multiple Caravan owner and I like them, I have a 2007 and tow a 18 foot aluminum bowrider, power is ok but my big concern is braking. Your newer van has had brake issues from day one, (sorry don't mean to be so blunt) and towing a 3000 pound load is taxing those brakes big time. I also agree with the launching issues, in is no problem but getting out sometimes is. shocks me that that van is 6000 pounds.

what ever you decide good luck with the new boat and enjoy the ride.

KW Mike

mine is a 1998 grand caravan with 3.3 L engine had a transmission cooler and 275000mileage. I tow with my 16 foot trihull fibreglass boat with 85hp engine.

No problem towing my boat, just eat 7km/L of gas while towing. sometimes I wish it had more power to get up hill. driving without towing is 9km per L.

Owning a 4x4 vehicle might have more power when towing our boat, but can also eat unnecessary gas when we are not towing our boat during regular driving.

Owning a 4x4 vehicle might have more power when towing our boat, but can also eat unnecessary gas when we are not towing our boat during regular driving.

Only use 4x4 when you have to...have it off the rest of the time.

Edited by Stoty

4wd vehicles dont have any more power than their 2wd counterparts. i think the minivans GCWR was listed at 6000# not its actual weight..

7km/litre sounds like a great number for towing a small boat, 100L tank on a full size truck getting 700kms/tank sounds great to me!

Its an unusual way to list a mileage factoid but a quick conversion gives me only about 5km/litre in my tacoma pulling 3000lbs.

As mentionied, you are within the specified weight limits - keep things well maintained and everything should be fine.

Hardly the first guy towing with a minivan, enjoy.

4wd vehicles dont have any more power than their 2wd counterparts. i think the minivans GCWR was listed at 6000# not its actual weight..

7km/litre sounds like a great number for towing a small boat, 100L tank on a full size truck getting 700kms/tank sounds great to me!

Its an unusual way to list a mileage factoid but a quick conversion gives me only about 5km/litre in my tacoma pulling 3000lbs.

As mentionied, you are within the specified weight limits - keep things well maintained and everything should be fine.

Hardly the first guy towing with a minivan, enjoy.

yeah lots do it... just pick good boat launches:) if not a truck or a jeep will help u out. ( i did it last weekend, front tires kept spinning on a guy with a minivan)

4wd vehicles dont have any more power than their 2wd counterparts.

the torque or pulling power at the wheels is a measure of engine torque * gear ratio * final drive and in a 4WD equipped vehicle * the gear reduction in the 4WD transfer case (4HI vs 4LO)

so your statement is false. a 4LO equipped vehicle does have more pulling power than vehicle with only 2WD, AWD or even 4HI only eventhough though their engine/transmission/rear-end specs are otherwise the same (which, often times, they are not between 4wd/2wd)

Edited by Raf

of course 4WD has more pulling power in 4LO. so would a 35hp tractor. either option limits top speed to next to nothing. the 2 vehicles out on the highway in 2WD are the same. one doesn't have more power than the other.

a simple statement hardly needs dissecting. the statement is not false. no one said anything about pulling stumps...

Edited by smally21