thinking of buying in Honey Harbour GBay

waso

Those that do know me know that I'm not full of bull.

I've seen the pictures and the fish is huge.

You don't need to waste your time explaining yourself as far as I'm concerned Bruce and if you did post the pic, or even if your bud posted it, we all know a few guys would just destroy the post anyways.

And it usually happens from all the wannabe's too.

This thread is typical of why many of us, myself included, don't post new threads anymore, either fishing or non-fishing. Rarely does a topic that can have varying opinions get off the first page before someone jumps all over it looking to stir things up. I have made many friends on this board, many of whom are still around, some who have decided that they would quietly rather become lurkers and some sadly who are gone altogether. This is still a good place to be IMHO, BUT, some of us are making it increasingly difficult for me to click on the OFC bookmark in the morning.

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate all the responses. After careful consideration and the proper inspections and some due diligence, we put an offer in on the cottage. After some back and forth it was accepted and we firmed up on friday. Close in september, super stoked! However lots of blood, sweat and tears on the horizon!

Cheers

Congratulations to you and your family. You'll enjoy the area. There's plenty to do within a very short distance.

Which cottage on Mermaid? I'm always tooling around on the weekends. Beige Larson fishn'ski w/ a green top.

Edited by bigbuck

Congratulations to you and your family. You'll enjoy the area. There's plenty to do within a very short distance.

Which cottage on Mermaid? I'm always tooling around on the weekends. Beige Larson fishn'ski w/ a green top.

Gray and white with the gray boathouse that is in need of repair. I believe it is "Maclean" cottage. I run a black and white starcraft, black top. I'll look for your boat!

The one right across from marina row towards the bottleneck??

My slip is at Nautilis. You would head out towards Royal Island and sweep around Mermaid.

It looks straight at Beausoliel island, right down the slow zone to the outer channel (kinda on the corner of a mini bay).

Demographically, I have to disagree with this. As baby boomers die off, there will be more (and less expensive) property available. The kids and new Canadians are not into the 'cottaging' life style.

Here's my observation - I've been watching the Simcoe, Couch and Port Severn/Honey Harbour real estate market since September 2010. I took a job in Barrie with the intent of moving to the area when my wife finds a job in her field. Almost all the waterfront homes I've been following since 2010 have not sold with some being on the market for over 2 years. Why - IMHO they are way overpriced. The owners still think that the baby-boomers from the GTA are coming with wads of cash to buy their properties. That ended in 2007 with the market crash. Now the BB are fueling the GTA condo market. I've watched some prices drop $50k and still no buyers.

So when it comes time to buy I'll be making an offer that is reasonable but I doubt the owners will think so.

Here's my observation - I've been watching the Simcoe, Couch and Port Severn/Honey Harbour real estate market since September 2010. I took a job in Barrie with the intent of moving to the area when my wife finds a job in her field. Almost all the waterfront homes I've been following since 2010 have not sold with some being on the market for over 2 years. Why - IMHO they are way overpriced. The owners still think that the baby-boomers from the GTA are coming with wads of cash to buy their properties. That ended in 2007 with the market crash. Now the BB are fueling the GTA condo market. I've watched some prices drop $50k and still no buyers.

So when it comes time to buy I'll be making an offer that is reasonable but I doubt the owners will think so.

The BUYER sets the price......not the seller.....

Homes here don't last 2 weeks on the market with interest rates as low as 3%.....my sister just sold her home for their asking price on their own....no leachy realtor to give a commission to,,, :thumbsup_anim:

let's just say that my offer was not reasonable and we haggled from there. Right circumstances, softening market and you can get a deal.

I know where you are. I go up that channel on occasion going to or coming back from North Bay. We' have to wet a line sometime. We are up pretty much every weekend from may twofer till thanksgiving.

Where is your place? Stop by the cottage when i take it over in September, look for my starcraft.

what BB said. List/asking price is just a number that agents come up, some realistic, some strategic. For example. some homes in Toronto are going for 100k -200k over asking and some are straight up offers, no wars. Does this mean all homes on the same street are worth that ? Was the starting price fair market ? Maybe not. If the market deems a price unrealisitic, it will sit. and sit. and sit.

Am dealing with this right now with late father in laws property in Australia. Very soft market and price has been dropped twice. Think the agent wasn't the sharpest knife in the block either :wallbash: but it's not our responsibility since we're half a world away. Couple of years ago, would have gotten asking +. Not today...

As for cottage property prices, I don't ever see them going down, may plateau but that's it.

Edited by woodenboater

Where is your place? Stop by the cottage when i take it over in September, look for my starcraft.

We have a trailer at Bluewater Resort, it's in the little bay just beside Paragon Marina with the big cruisers and the town dock. Good for you for chiseling on the price, the real estate agents up there are notorious for overpricing. I'll see ya when I see ya up there in September, I'll keep an eye out for your boat.

We have a trailer at Bluewater Resort, it's in the little bay just beside Paragon Marina with the big cruisers and the town dock. Good for you for chiseling on the price, the real estate agents up there are notorious for overpricing. I'll see ya when I see ya up there in September, I'll keep an eye out for your boat.

I know the spot. You'll see me around all summer, still renting till September. My daughter likes going to the town centre or picnic island for poutine. i also head into north bay to fish. I'll look for your boat.

• 4 weeks later...

Do you know the CO's in the area, if so, ask Bruce about Gerry's monster. I'm respecting a friend's wishes, that's all. Lew has seen the pic. Don't go bashing, its not appreciated.

as it turned out we got to talk to Bruce

we told him everything we could remember from this post

he seemed to remember the fish, but he says is was under the legal size?

when 61" was said, he said not on his watch...must be a different fish and different CO, so I don't know what to say..

as it turned out we got to talk to Bruce

we told him everything we could remember from this post

he seemed to remember the fish, but he says is was under the legal size?

when 61" was said, he said not on his watch...must be a different fish and different CO, so I don't know what to say..

Hmpfff! I spoke to him early last summer and he had a good chuckle about it. Ol' Jerry couldn't get it in the boat by himself and had help from him and the OPP officer on the boat took a pic. I'm going to see him over the next couple of weeks and I will refresh his memory. He isn't the nicest of guys to those he doesn't know. Ask irish about that.

That was easy.

I spoke to Bruce Ward today over the phone and this is what he said to me about Jerry’s fish.

"We came up on a guy last fall out front of --- ---- ---- with a fish in his boat. We got out and helped him release the fish as it appeared to me that he intended to keep it.

I helped him cut the hooks out of the fish and we measured it. It was of 'sub legal' for the Bay.

It swam away. Luckily for him as I intended to 'charged him' with 'constraining a non legal fish. It barely swam away. Luckily for the person who caught it as he had it in his boat when we pulled up.

I asked Bruce what constraining was and he told me that if it died in his boat he would have been fined as he should have cut what he could and let it go with the hooks in or out.

Another 61 inch fable set to rest.

Cheers