thinking of buying in Honey Harbour GBay

waso

Hi All,

I am looking at buying a cottage in honey harbour, Gbay. We have rented in the outer islands for a while and love the area. Would like to hear opinions on the fishing and what you think of the area in general. Also any suggestions of guides I could hire to help learn the area better and techniques, if i decide to purchase.

Cheers

It's a great area for fishing and exploring. Lots of good pike fishing spots. Lost a beast of a pike boatside earlier this year.

A little to much boat traffic on the weekends for my liking.

Good luck with the purchase if you do end up going for it!

It's a great area for fishing and exploring. Lots of good pike fishing spots. Lost a beast of a pike boatside earlier this year.

A little to much boat traffic on the weekends for my liking.

Good luck with the purchase if you do end up going for it!

Huge area... lots of great fishing spots and loads of shoals to hit :)

I do like the area just cant stand the amount of boat traffic on the weekends... Make sure your not on one of the many boat routes ... or you will never have piece and quiet and just have wake and the smell of gas !

Huge area... lots of great fishing spots and loads of shoals to hit :)

I do like the area just cant stand the amount of boat traffic on the weekends... Make sure your not on one of the many boat routes ... or you will never have piece and quiet and just have wake and the smell of gas !

Cityfisher brings up a very important point here if you're on a high traffic area.....my cousin had a cottage on Chautauqua Lake near the ferry....NEVER had a quite moment all summer long....boats, water skiers, jet bikes all day long....and then the guy next door would cut his grass at night with his riding lawn mower using it's headlight..... :wallbash: ....needless to say he sold it.

Love that area,spent a lot of time fishing,camping,cruising in that area. But you need to buy off the beaten trail as said. The traffic through the channels are wicked all day during the summer season.:good:

Edited by davey buoy

Lots of places for sale. Depends on your price range. A few cottages have come down in price (ridiculous pricing to begin with). I guess you are looking for a boat to place. Road access cottages are huge dollars. North Bay has some really nice spots and is scenic. As mentioned above, stay away from the channels. It WILL drive you crazy. There's also a nice little bay across from Marina Row that is fairly deep. Lots of good fishing around if you know where to look. We have a trailer in HH and love the area. A cottage there in the future is a definite possibility for us.

I had a cottage for years on Gloucester Pool, by Big Chute. Like any other place, Honey Harbour has both pros and cons.

Fantastic boating, with access to the rest of the world.

No end of places to explore.

Fantastic swimming.

Great fishing, but challenging to get to know it.

Close to civilization but definitely natural and beautiful scenery.

The road traffic to get there, from the GTA, can be awful and there aren't a lot of options on routes to get there. Will you be restricted to weekends? If so, plan on almost 3h each way.

Heavy boat traffic as mentioned earlier - I won't belabour that. Personally, I love watching the bigger cruisers so this is both good and bad.

Local population fluctuates wildly - from very low in off season and chock-a-block full in summer. On a summer long weekend sometimes it's hard to find a loaf of bread in the smallest stores.

G_bay property values will never drop in any significant way, so good investment.

G_bay property values will never drop in any significant way, so good investment.

Demographically, I have to disagree with this. As baby boomers die off, there will be more (and less expensive) property available. The kids and new Canadians are not into the 'cottaging' life style.

Thanks for the input. Some great points. I have fished the area many times and it certainly is tough, that's why i think a guide could help to understand the water better (musky and pike). The cottage we are looking at has deep water off the dock and is close to the main channel, but out of the way enough (on mermaid island, never could afford a mainland drive to) to not drive us crazy, but we do enjoy the boat watching. Any other points are appreciated!

Cheers

Take the "guide" out a few times BEFORE you purchase property there......then see if it's worth your while.......

My pop had a cottage on Mermaid for years in the main channel. As long as u are past the channel leading to the delawanna inn and picnic island (as in down towards south bay) or on the back side of the island you will be okay.

The fishing is mediocre there IMO but it is very good out towards red rock and giants tomb for smallies.

Landry

If your looking at Mermaid Island, you should be fine depending on where on the island your looking. There is lots of pike, as for musky, there aren't tons but those that are around are pretty big, not too far from the island you are looking at, a friend of mine managed to land a 61 incher with the help of the MNR and OPP (MNR netted and OPP took the pic). I landed my 50 incher in the same area.

Edited by bigbuck

If your looking at Mermaid Island, you should be fine depending on where on the island your looking. There is lots of pike, as for musky, there aren't tons but those that are around are pretty big, not too far from the island you are looking at, a friend of mine managed to land a 61 incher with the help of the MNR and OPP (MNR netted and OPP took the pic). I landed my 50 incher in the same area.

I would love to see a pic of that beast.

I've got one but he doesn't want it floating around the web. It was a beast that's for sure.

Ok for the story to float around but not the picture? :rolleyes:

There are already lots of stories floatinig around and most are stories. Even with a picture though it would be doubted. :)

Ok for the story to float around but not the picture? :rolleyes:

There are already lots of stories floatinig around and most are stories. Even with a picture though it would be doubted. :)

Do you know the CO's in the area, if so, ask Bruce about Gerry's monster. I'm respecting a friend's wishes, that's all. Lew has seen the pic. Don't go bashing, its not appreciated.

Do you know the CO's in the area, if so, ask Bruce about Gerry's monster. I'm respecting a friend's wishes, that's all. Lew has seen the pic. Don't go bashing, its not appreciated.

You missed my point which was. It is OK for you to talk about some fabled Muskie and you can show pictures to guys on this forum, which has zero to do with the fish and talk about some OPP and MNR who were there but you can't show the picture but it's ok to talk about it on the WWW?

I'm not sure who is confused more. Myself or you? I would think your friend Gerry wouldn't want you to mention it either on an open forum such as this one. I could be wrong. :jerry:

GBAy, if you have a problem, PM me. I don't know you from a hole in the ground and you don't know me either. Those that do know me know that I'm not full of bull. The 'fabled' fish was caught by someone other than myself, if it were me and I had a pic, I'd post it, but it wasn't and he does not want his pic plastered all over the web. I'm not confused, halftimers has not set in yet.