Boat is delayed from Dealer... I complained !!

cityfisher

Hi all,

I ordered a new princecraft 174ws with a 90 4 stroke way back in early April. Boat was supposed to be delivered early may. That day has come and gone and after multiple calls asking whats taking so long they have heard back from Princecraft and have offered the following:

instead of the 90 4 stroke they will throw on a 115 Optimax(2 stroke) free of charge and my boat will be delivered Monday.

If not i can wait 2 more weeks for a 90 4 stroke to be ready and then ill get my boat...

Is it really an upgrade? I assume the hole shot would be better and maybe 1-2 mphs more on the top end but the motor will defiantly be louder than the 4 stroke. Will need to buy 2 stroke oil to run it.( i assume the cost of running 2 stroke will be the same as the cost to change the oil in the 4 stroke every year) Maybe even suffer a loss in resale value down the road vs a 4 stroke motor. ( not really worried since i dont intend on selling this boat for a LONG time)

Thoughts?

Edited by cityfisher

Hi all,

I ordered a new princecraft 174ws with a 90 4 stroke way back in early April. Boat was supposed to be delivered early may. That day has come and gone and after multiple calls asking whats taking so long they have heard back from Princecraft and have offered the following:

instead of the 90 4 stroke they will throw on a 115 Optimax(2 stroke) free of charge and my boat will be delivered Monday.

If not i can wait 2 more weeks for a 90 4 stroke to be ready and then ill get my boat...

Is it really an upgrade? I assume the hole shot would be better and maybe 1-2 mphs more on the top end but the motor will defiantly be louder than the 4 stroke. Will need to buy 2 stroke oil to run it.( i assume the cost of running 2 stroke will be the same as the cost to change the oil in the 4 stroke every year) Maybe even suffer a loss in resale value down the road vs a 4 stroke motor. ( not really worried since i dont intend on selling this boat for a LONG time)

Thoughts?

i dont consider that an upgrade....

im not knocking the optimax...

but going from a 90 4 stroke to a 115 2 stroke.... i bet they are the same value...

Edited by Musky Mike

Will you be trolling with the big motor? Do you run long distances while fishing? I like two strokes but in the same breath I have never had a 4 stroke O/B. For long runs the 4 stroke will be quieter. For trolling the 4 stroke will be happier. All of my two strokes are happier going in there sweet spot 5000 or 5500 rpms since it is the speed I am comfortable running it at from fishing hole to hole it fits my style. The 2 strokes have less moving parts are simpler to repair in my neck of the woods. While this is not an answer it is something to consider as you chose.

Art

hmm.... I ordered my boat around the end of March... I wasn't PROMISED a delivery date at that time, but was told.." sometime around mid April, end of April at the latest"

Well.... like yourself... that time came and went.... I NEVER had a phone call to follow up. I went in the dealer and they told me the BUILD DATE wasn't until beginning of may. ....hmmm , Ok.

SO again... may 5th had come..." you boats on a truck " ... FINALLY !!! I'm expecting it to be here by the end of the week...well TWO weeks later and a couple of phone calls to the dealership ( I always thought the salesman should follow up, not the customer ? ) My boat finally arrived.

My compensation for the headache..... 2 gals. of oil, an anchor(no rope) , transom saver, and a safety kit.

I would be asking for the boat YOU WANT plus some other form of compensation. perhaps a F/F ?

I think that boat would fly with a 115 Opti.. I think atleast whole shot would be noticably better with a 2 stroke.

Depends what your look'n for I guess..

Make sure you still get the 5 year warranty since they are now offering Opti after the offer date ended.

I’d be making a counter offer by handing them an options list with all the things you might want added to the boat. You may not get all of them but if you’re considering the different motor you may get a few extra toys out of them?

If your sales contract has the delivery date on it; you got more bargaining power then you think; don’t just accept the scraps they’re throwing at you. Not that the Otimax is scrap by any means; but it’s not what you wanted, ordered and they promised to deliver. Again if the delivery date is on whatever contract that you no doubt signed promising to pay and there are no disclaimers where they can wiggle through; you’re the boss; make some demands.

Dan.

some one mentioned they only used a gallon of opti oil for 40 bucks. I got a 150 opti and i go through 4 gallons a year, and i'm only going 15 to 20 miles an outing. the cost of the oil per gallon here in red lake is $65.00/ but i have a buddy who brings me a few gallons every year up from cabelas at a cost of $36 per gallon.

that being said, i wouldn't hesitate to take the opti.

i guess i'm in the minority here, but if it's on paper that a product/job will be completed/delivered on a specific date it better be there or money is being taken off my bill (certain % per day), i'm getting free accessories/upgrades, or i'm getting a 100% refund. we're not talking about joe schmoe making boats in his garage where delays should be expected, this is a boat from a dealer representing one of the biggest boat brands in north america.

my point? they should have their poop together and not giving customers the run around. people sitting back allowing this crap to happen definitely isn't helping the problem.

that said, i definitely wouldn't be calling that outboard swap an upgrade.

Great info guys..Im going to call them in the morning and see what other options they can throw in.

you're looking at this the wrong way if you're going to "see" what options they'll throw in. you need to demand other options, not ask them. have you spoke to the manager yet? if not, when you call tomorrow insist that you'll speak to nobody but him to get things worked out and if he's "not available at this time" you'll be there shortly to see him.

if you dropped that much money on a kitchen reno and the contractor was a month late, would you "see" what he could do for you? no, you'd be calling him and demanding answers as to why he's so late.

or, you could take the laid back approach and allow them to screw you around even more before finally getting your boat in august :D:whistling:

Edited by ch312

all you guys make me laugh. Demand this, ask for that, don't put up with it, ask for more. What do you think the dealer is a flea market and they have all this stuff at their disposal. Be careful that you don't just end up waiting even longer and end up with exactly what you paid for. I'm sure the dealer would have loved for you to have your boat when they said. It's out if their control. They don't build it there. Delays happen. Be happy they are giving you and option with an increase in power motor. Don't be so greedy.

There are certain things dealers can do to help ease the pain of delays and such.Losing money isnt one of them.

I know its a pain in the asshat.gif , but i am sure the dealership treated you well during the sale, and acted professional and courteous to you. The delay is out of thier hands, and they have offered to make it right. I bet the salesman feels terrible for you, because i bet he is an angle just like you and the rest of us.

If you dont want more HP, see if they can offer you something else. Seems simple enough to medunno.gif

Greedy ? I could of gone with other dealers or boat makers and had my boat on time.

When you make a promise and fail ..keeping your waiting customer happ is important.

What would happen if all your demands where met with ok heres your money back and go buy your boat someplace else sound. Sure you'd be unhappy but it could happen. Then they will just sell the boat you were going to get to someone else. I've seen it happen. But hey keep pushing them and ask for more. You might get what you deserve.