Opinions on used tow vehicles

JoshS

Yes, just not a domestic truck person

I guess that's why you've got an off kilter opinion on probably the most bulletproof engine/transmission ever offered.

Now, speaking of non domestic trucks, I'd love if Toyota offered the Tacoma with a diesel (Like they do pretty much everywhere else in the world).. Diesel Hilux would be killer!

Really appreciate all the feedback, some great advice. Still looking hard....

Anyone know how the Wrangler is on fuel in the city?

You will do well to get 380 km per tank in the city with the wrong size tires on the Wrangler , better if it still has the factory size tires that it came with . My old 89 black yj wrangler on the hi way with factory size tires took me from Barrie to Kingston and back for 60 bucks two years ago . What was the gas price then ?????

Edited by Skipper " D "

A 4 cyl wrangler is not too bad on gas, I had one of those. I also used it to tow a 21 foot blazer bass boat with a 250merc on it. I would say that is NOT a recommended towing arrangement for a boat that size. However it pulled around my 16 foot lund without issue.

An SUV or a wrangler shouldn't be considered if gas is a concern. If you need to tow a decent sized boat your options are fairly limited. Towing, 4x4 and fuel mileage is not something that has been solved yet. a 6 cyl wrangler will get about 15-18mpg in the city if you drive it gingerly and use stock sized tires. I have never had a jeep with less than 31's.

My 2001 TJ right now with 31's and straight 6 with five speed is giving me 380 to 400 km's on the hi way .

Heres one more for thought , I have'nt driven the wifes 2006 Liberty much since i bought it for her last year but i think its the best on fuel out off all the jeeps we own , she's driving 25 ...28 km's a day to and from her work and dose it on 30 bucks a week . We only ever took it on a trip once and it did it from Barrie to London and back on a tank for i beleive 80 bucks , it has the v6 automatic .

Edited by Skipper " D "

Toyota tundra is a great truck and one of the best towing vehicles, and I was gonna buy one myself... I just didn't have a spare 60K sitting around to pay the dealer!!

OUCH....is that what they are getting now a days for a truck.....that MUST be a LIMITED model......at least I would hope.....mine is a SR5 model and it "listed" at $31,800 back in June of '07....after factory rebates, dealer discount and the trading in of my 2002 Ford Escape I only had to pay them $18,000........not bad for a brand new truck that will last me for MANY more years to come....at least 20 years I am expecting.

BTW next week it will be 5 YEARS old and hasn't been back to the dealer yet.....I did put in brakes late last summer but that's it........MUCH MUCH MUCH better then any Detroit truck I have ever owned...... :)

And BillM....how's the price of diesel fuel doing..... :whistling:

Listen we all told you before, get off the soapbox with your TOY, besides my Cummins wheel nuts need more torque than your Toota makes. :devil:

OH Yeah??!!??

Well your Cummins and the Yota won't do nuttin' against this tow rig and it's Caterpillar 3116 diesel!!! :tease::tease::tease:

TowRig.jpg

I think that Yellowknife is the only place in North America where diesel is cheaper than regular gas. :dunno: :dunno:

Diesel has been cheaper here in Ontario then gas for quite some time... I usually pay around $1.24 for diesel, on my trip last week diesel was anywhere from $1.24 - $1.30.. I saw gas close to $1.50.

OH Yeah??!!??

Well your Cummins and the Yota won't do nuttin' against this tow rig and it's Caterpillar 3116 diesel!!! :tease::tease::tease:

TowRig.jpg

Ya, just like everything else GM builds, you can see daylight between the top of the rear mudflaps and the wheel wells, really well executed. :rofl2:

I like to have a bit of fun some times but to be honest last year when i needed a new truck i did try out a new tundra , i liked the horse power it had but since i 've been towing since the mid seventy's and had many turcks i knew after trying the suspention in the tundra would never stand up for me , for light towing yes but not for heavy towing , to play a trick on the dealer at the time , when i brought the truck back from the test drive i said , i wanted one but i wanted it in a 2500 seires knowing full well they did'nt excist , had they had of i would be driving one right now . The dealer did how ever ask me if i could wait for a few years as they were working on a 2500 series to come out with a Mitsubishe diesel in it , so in the mean time i've bought this ... truck number five of the same brand as my last four old one's gas jobs and this one a diesel , i still dont see the Tundra 2500 on the road yet . All i'd say is , buy some thing that trips your trigger and you'll be happy for a long time no matter what it is .

Before the gas spike in 2008 Toyota was seriously considering building a 2500 serious diesel truck.....but after gas went well above $4 in '08 I believe Toyota has scrapped that idea completely....they even revamped their brand new billion dollar truck plant in San Antonio, TX where most of the Tundra's were built.......now all Tundra's to the best of my knowledge are coming out of Indiana.....the Texas plant is now building SUV's.

OH Yeah??!!??

Well your Cummins and the Yota won't do nuttin' against this tow rig and it's Caterpillar 3116 diesel!!! tease.giftease.giftease.gif

TowRig.jpg

You know they got their idea from me ....... lol , i built mine back in 1993

but this Top kick sure looks good , i all ways said ..... they are the real full size pickup .... lol , and Boys you wont beleive how many fish you can carry in one of thease .....

Diesel is 2cents more than gas in Hamilton, pretty consistently. 2cents a litres is not going to make or break somebody. To my knowledge and experiences diesel engines don't require cats to be replaced once the motor is not running right like a gas engine would. I've seen a bad running gas engine (one cylinder misfiring) blow out a brand new cat in 2 months of light driving.

My TDI jetta still has the original exhaust on it (after 351km)and has only required replacement of exhaust flanges and clips that hold it in place. Diesel pollutes less as well.

Ford

Found On Road Dead

Fix Or Repair Daily

FORD

First On Race Day

And I'm not even a Ford fan. LOL

Then the vehicle I like GMC

Garage Mans Companion and maybe that's why I like them I own a garage????

Dan.

FORD

First On Race Day

And I'm not even a Ford fan. LOL

Then the vehicle I like GMC

Garage Mans Companion and maybe that's why I like them I own a garage????

Dan.

Holy moly , this is not Dan with a french last name , that owned a tow truck one time many years ago and lived down on Exter road and Warncliff for a bit till he moved some where eles in the city ???????

Get yourself a Jeep Wrangler Josh...4L 6CYL. you'll be fine.

Roy's post was only the second of the thread, but I read no further...and neither do you.

It's the original, and still the greatest off-road vehicle ever made.